CO CO - Marie Blee, 15, Craig, 21 Nov 1979

Richard

Reaction score
Marie Ann Blee
Missing since November 21, 1979 from Craig, Routt County, Colorado.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: April 16, 1964
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars, Tattoos: None
Clothing: Purple collar v-neck top; brown velvetine vest; leather rope necklace with three multi color hand made beads; blue jeans; green ski jacket.
Dentals: Available. Orthodontic correction completed about 3 months prior to disappearance and had braces removed.
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Blee was last seen at a dance at the Pavilion in Craig, Colorado during the evening of November 21, 1979. After the dance, she went to a party at Shadow Mountain mobile home park with Marty Doolin. When she failed to return home by the following morning, her parents reported Blee as missing. Doolin later told authorities that Blee informed him she had a ride home with an unidentified person at 1:30 AM - 2:00 AM. Attendees reported alcohol and drug use at the party. Doolin stated that he never saw Blee again.

Doolin was arrested and given a suspended sentence for attempted extortion one week after Blee vanished. He admitted that he made a phone call to her parents, in which he demanded $5000 in ransom for their daughter's return. He maintains that he is innocent of any involvement in Blee's case.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Blee's disappearance, please contact:
Routt County Sheriff's Office
Detective Rachelle Redmond
970-879-1090
E-Mail RRedmond@co.routt.co.us

Or
Moffat County Sheriff Department
Investigations:
Sergeant K.C. Hume - E-Mail khume@sheriff.moffat.co.us

Investigator Jeremy Ashton E-Mail jashton@sheriff.moffat.co.us
Office 970-824-4495
Fax 970-824-9780

Agency Case Number: 79-1374
NCIC Number: M-208753749
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Moffat County Sheriff
The Craig Daily Press 11/22/04
The Doe Network: Case File 219DFCO

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/219dfco.html

NCMEC

It sounds like Doolin knows alot more than he's saying. Why would he call and demand ransom money not knowing if she had walked in the front door as he was making the call? He must have known she wouldn't ever be walking in again ever! Do you suppose nobody has talked since...wonder where Doolin is now??

crimson3 said:
It sounds like Doolin knows alot more than he's saying. Why would he call and demand ransom money not knowing if she had walked in the front door as he was making the call? He must have known she wouldn't ever be walking in again ever! Do you suppose nobody has talked since...wonder where Doolin is now??
It would seem that he waited about a week before placing the call to her parents. But your point is well taken. How callous is this idiot to make such a demand? He probably did have something to do with her disappearance.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/blee_marie.html

I doubt Doolin had anything to do with Marie's disappearance -- I mean, he could have, but his demanding ransom money is not a good indication. A lot of sick, twisted opportunists take advantage of the families of missing children like that. In the Amy Billig case (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/billig_amy.html) two sixteen-year-old boys claimed to be holding her for ransom, and it turned out they had nothing to do with it. When they were caught, they passed the whole thing off as "a joke." Well, I'm not laughing, and Amy's parents weren't either.

....I doubt Doolin had anything to do with Marie's disappearance -- I mean, he could have, but his demanding ransom money is not a good indication. A lot of sick, twisted opportunists take advantage of the families of missing children like that. ....

There are a lot of examples of this sort of scam. See the Sheila and Katherine Lyon case for such examples. It is likely that the police receive hoax ransom calls on many more cases, but do not reveal it to the press.

Besides all the leads, false leads, calls of sympathy and numerous questions called in to investigators and families, these fake ransom calls take up valuable time and resources in cases which might be very time-sensitive.

It is coming up on the 30 year anniversary of Marie Ann Blee's disappearance.

wow what a piece of garbage doolin is.
i dont care if he's 'innocent" of her dissapearence, playing with her parents like that is sickkkkkkk

My grandparents and father lived in Craig from 1975 to 2003. My grandparents have since passed, but I will have to ask my father if he remembers hearing anything about this case. Craig is such a small community, I don't see how they couldn't have at the time.

My grandparents and father lived in Craig from 1975 to 2003. My grandparents have since passed, but I will have to ask my father if he remembers hearing anything about this case. Craig is such a small community, I don't see how they couldn't have at the time.

You might check with local newspapers to see if there were any articles printed last November on the 30th anniversary of Marie Ann's disappearance.

Cold case: Suspect in 1979 disappearance of 15-year-old Craig girl dies
POSTED: 05/19/2012 06:02:58 PM MDT
UPDATED: 05/19/2012 10:25:28 PM MDTBy Kirk Mitchell
The Denver Post
COLD CASES BLOG

A 51-year-old man long considered a suspect in the death of a 15-year-old Craig girl in 1979, fell down a set of basement steps and died on Thursday, his mother has confirmed.

Stephen Skufca was on parole for a drug dealing and harassment conviction and was engaged to be married, his mother Ruth Skufca said Saturday.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_20663888?source=commented-

Here is a link to another website which has a lot of information regarding the disappearance of Marie:

------------------------------------
Marie Ann Blee

Missing Since: November 21, 1979 from Craig, Colorado
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Date of Birth: April 16, 1964
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair, blue eyes. Blee had a dental retainer in 1979, but was not wearing it at the time of her disappearance. Her orthodontic braces were removed three months prior to her disappearance.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A v-neck top with a purple collar, a brown velveteen vest, blue jeans, a green ski jacket, and a leather rope necklace with three handmade multicolored beads.
Details of Disappearance

Blee attended a 4-H dance at the Pavilion in Craig, Colorado on November 21, 1979. Afterwards she went to a party at the Shadow Mountain Village mobile home park with her friend, Marty Dean Doolin. Doolin later told investigators that Blee said she had a ride back to her hometown of Hayden, Colorado with an unidentified driver between 1:30 and 2:00 a.m. on November 21. Doolin stated that this was the last time he saw Blee. Other witnesses placed Blee at a store in Craig in the early morning hours; however, many of the partygoers' statements conflicted one another and there is still confusion as to when Blee was last seen. Blee's parents filed a missing person's report with the police in Hayden when she did not return home the following morning. She has never been heard from again.
Police initially suspected that Blee had run away from home, but her parents said it was not in her character to do so. Authorities have admitted that the initial investigation into her disappearance was mishandled and crucial witnesses and possible suspects were not interviewed.

A week after Blee's disappearance, Doolin was arrested on extortion charges. He admitted to calling Blee's family and demanding $5,000 for their daughter's safe return. Doolin was arrested and convicted of telephone harassment, and handed a suspended sentence. He has since completed his probation and maintains that he knows nothing about Blee's disappearance.

There has been speculation for years that Blee died of a drug overdose at the party and her body was buried somewhere in Craig. Authorities said that witnesses' statements supported that theory. Her case was reopened by authorities in 1999 and excavations to this point have been unsuccessful at locating any evidence connected to her disappearance.

Blee was in the 10th grade at Hayden High School at the time she went missing; she was a good student. She is a former Girl Scout and a member of 4-H, and she helped manage her school wrestling team. Her case remains unsolved and foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Moffat County Sheriff's Office
970-824-4495
OR

Routt County Sheriff's Office
970-879-1090

Source Information
Moffat County Sheriff's Office
The Rocky Mountain News
APB News
The Child Seek Network
Families of Homicide Victims and Missing Persons
The Doe Network
The Craig Daily Press
Porchlight International for the Missing & Unidentified -> Blee, Marie A November 21,1979

LINK:

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=7813

PEOPLE v. SKUFCA

The PEOPLE of the State of Colorado, Petitioner v. Stephen SKUFCA, Respondent. No. 06SC34.-- February 04, 2008 ... CO Supreme Court decision... see extensive legal decision at link below.

This guy was clearly one of the 2 percent who takes up 98 percent of everybody else's time.

A drug dealer to the end, and yet out on Parole? What's wrong with that picture?

Easy to see how he is a strong suspect in Marie's disappearance.

LINK:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/co-supreme-court/1007247.html

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2014/nov/09/routt-county-cold-cases/

Her missing person poster still can be found on the walls of the Routt, Moffat and Mesa County sheriff’s offices. Marie’s school picture on the poster was taken just weeks before she last was seen Nov. 21, 1979. Her parents ,Mona and Paul, received the picture in the mail after Marie disappeared...

Marie last was seen with three men: Stephen Skufca, Max Abel Garcia, and Monte Doolin. They all denied being involved in Marie’s disappearance...

In 2001, police sat down with Skufca to question him. After two days of interviews, police said they did not learn anything important for the investigation.

Monty Doolin (not Marty!) is back and looking a more likely suspect than ever. The following link explains all (and links to other stories in the same paper about Doolin, the Blee case and the seemingly repulsive Doolin clan).

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2015/jun/12/monty-dean-doolin-booked-routt-county-jail/

In summary, Doolin has been returned from Alaska to Colorado to face kidnapping and sexual assault charges relating to another teenager and dating to 1978/9. To borrow from Wilde; to be associated with one such offence may be unfortunate. To be a suspect in two similar cases looks careless.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back