1071 users online (233 members and 838 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    355

    Dutch plan to ban burqas

    Dutch government seeks to ban full-length veils

    Cabinet cites security grounds; Netherlands has one million Muslims.



    Burqas have fueled controversy across Europe. Here,
    Muslim women protest in Blackburn, England, on Oct. 14
    against House of Commons Leader Jack Straw, who says
    burqa veils split communities.


    THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch government announced plans Friday for legislation banning full-length veils in public places and other clothing that covers the face — putting the Netherlands at the forefront of a general European hardening toward Muslim minorities.

    The Netherlands, once considered one of Europe’s most welcoming nations for immigrants and asylum seekers, is deeply divided over moves by the government to stem the tide of new arrivals and compel immigrants to assimilate into Dutch society.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15766750/

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Penelope631
    Dutch government seeks to ban full-length veils

    Cabinet cites security grounds; Netherlands has one million Muslims.



    Burqas have fueled controversy across Europe. Here,
    Muslim women protest in Blackburn, England, on Oct. 14
    against House of Commons Leader Jack Straw, who says
    burqa veils split communities.


    THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch government announced plans Friday for legislation banning full-length veils in public places and other clothing that covers the face — putting the Netherlands at the forefront of a general European hardening toward Muslim minorities.

    The Netherlands, once considered one of Europe’s most welcoming nations for immigrants and asylum seekers, is deeply divided over moves by the government to stem the tide of new arrivals and compel immigrants to assimilate into Dutch society.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15766750/
    This is off topic. I heard about a woman in Fremont who was gunned down and killed.

    Mother of six wearing a burqa. Was thought to be a hate crime.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Okay, I know I'm slow about things, but WHY is it that anyone cares if someone wears a burqa? I'm just not grasping why there is outrage over this issue.

    The immigration officical in the article said it was for "public order, security and protection of citizens" but that just doesn't pass the laugh test in my opinion. I can't even read it without rolling my eyeballs.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    355
    How would you know if it was a male or female under that thing?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    I think there's two aspects - one is simply cultures clashing - people see the burqua as harmful, insulting to the women wearing them - even though the women may (or may not) see things differently. But the other, IMHO, is valid. You need to be able to see people's faces. To check a drivers license, to take a photo, etc. They can wear what they want, so long as the face is visible, as I understand the new law. It's about the police not having a bunch of anonymous people they can't see around when they're looking for some criminal.

  6. #6
    Burqa are spooky. I saw them alot in India. We, women were told not by our guide to not go out at night without a veil.

    In Nepal it was completely different.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    354

    Duh

    When I read the title of the thread for some reason I thought it said Dutch plan to ban burgers. Lol-here I was all set to post about Mad Cow disease.

    Becca

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by beakiebean
    When I read the title of the thread for some reason I thought it said Dutch plan to ban burgers. Lol-here I was all set to post about Mad Cow disease.

    Becca
    Now that is funny!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,228
    If anyone says this is some kind of discrimination against women I's say I don't think so. Burqas cover everything to where the only way to tell the sex would be if you see a little bump down below. LOL

    But today there is a new threat. Forget what the sex is, because now there is an alert for pregnant Moslem women. I guess they have security info where the gal may not really be pregnant and have a bomb up inder her clothing instead.

    If you see someone that looks preggers wearing a Burqa, run!~

    I remember on GlobeTrekker they were in Oman, and they have a Burqa shop there where everything is designer and very very expensive. The gal said she had never seen so many variations of black Burqas. Jewels and rhinestones, beaded with exquisite fabrics. Neato!~

    Scandi

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    I agree with Details. (Again. What is happening to us!?)

    I'm not sympathetic to the idea that burkas make others uncomfortable.

    However, the security issue is another matter...

    (And let's remember there are other garments that Muslim women may wear that do not hide the face.)


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    I agree with Details. (Again. What is happening to us!?)

    I'm not sympathetic to the idea that burkas make others uncomfortable.

    However, the security issue is another matter...

    (And let's remember there are other garments that Muslim women may wear that do not hide the face.)
    You're right...I have Iranian Muslim friends that wear a scarf to cover their hair.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,648
    It's all more prejudice IMO. All of of a group being blamed or suspected because of what some have done.

    What if people were being banned from wearing Christian crosses? Look at the uproar just because of stores and such saying happy holidays instead of merry christmas.

    I'm not saying I'm for bad treatment of women or the wearing of these things, just that people seem to be all for interferring with someone elses religion but are oh so protective and sensitive about their own.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_16
    It's all more prejudice IMO. All of of a group being blamed or suspected because of what some have done.

    What if people were being banned from wearing Christian crosses? Look at the uproar just because of stores and such saying happy holidays instead of merry christmas.

    I'm not saying I'm for bad treatment of women or the wearing of these things, just that people seem to be all for interferring with someone elses religion but are oh so protective and sensitive about their own.
    You are right for the most part, but until Christians start wearing crosses that conceal their faces, the analogy doesn't quite hold.

    If a group of people started wearing masks at all times in public (for whatever purpose), we would also have reason for concern.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae
    You're right...I have Iranian Muslim friends that wear a scarf to cover their hair.
    So do I. In an earlier "burka thread," windovervocalchords gave us some very nice links about the various traditions of dress for Muslim females.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,375
    It's a good move by the Dutch, they are following the lead of the French, who started this whole restriction thing when they banned some Muslim attire in schools--In a poll taken recently, 70% of French people believed there were too many Arabs in their country( and 40% of French people thought their were too many blacks in their country, even though blacks make up only about 4% of the population,so much for French tolerance lol)--the British also picked up on this--Now the Dutch are taking it one step further---they should just deport anyone immediately who disobeys this new law---Europeans have had enough, and they are fighting back the best way they can, thru legal means

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Double Dutch
    By Trino in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 09:25 AM