Dutch plan to ban burqas

Penelope631

Former Member
Reaction score
Dutch government seeks to ban full-length veils

Cabinet cites security grounds; Netherlands has one million Muslims.

Burqas have fueled controversy across Europe. Here,
Muslim women protest in Blackburn, England, on Oct. 14
against House of Commons Leader Jack Straw, who says
burqa veils split communities.

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch government announced plans Friday for legislation banning full-length veils in public places and other clothing that covers the face — putting the Netherlands at the forefront of a general European hardening toward Muslim minorities.

The Netherlands, once considered one of Europe’s most welcoming nations for immigrants and asylum seekers, is deeply divided over moves by the government to stem the tide of new arrivals and compel immigrants to assimilate into Dutch society.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15766750/

Penelope631 said:
Dutch government seeks to ban full-length veils

Cabinet cites security grounds; Netherlands has one million Muslims.

Burqas have fueled controversy across Europe. Here,
Muslim women protest in Blackburn, England, on Oct. 14
against House of Commons Leader Jack Straw, who says
burqa veils split communities.

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch government announced plans Friday for legislation banning full-length veils in public places and other clothing that covers the face — putting the Netherlands at the forefront of a general European hardening toward Muslim minorities.

The Netherlands, once considered one of Europe’s most welcoming nations for immigrants and asylum seekers, is deeply divided over moves by the government to stem the tide of new arrivals and compel immigrants to assimilate into Dutch society.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15766750/
This is off topic. I heard about a woman in Fremont who was gunned down and killed.

Mother of six wearing a burqa. Was thought to be a hate crime.

Okay, I know I'm slow about things, but WHY is it that anyone cares if someone wears a burqa? I'm just not grasping why there is outrage over this issue.

The immigration officical in the article said it was for "public order, security and protection of citizens" but that just doesn't pass the laugh test in my opinion. I can't even read it without rolling my eyeballs.

How would you know if it was a male or female under that thing?:doh:

I think there's two aspects - one is simply cultures clashing - people see the burqua as harmful, insulting to the women wearing them - even though the women may (or may not) see things differently. But the other, IMHO, is valid. You need to be able to see people's faces. To check a drivers license, to take a photo, etc. They can wear what they want, so long as the face is visible, as I understand the new law. It's about the police not having a bunch of anonymous people they can't see around when they're looking for some criminal.

Burqa are spooky. I saw them alot in India. We, women were told not by our guide to not go out at night without a veil.

In Nepal it was completely different.

When I read the title of the thread for some reason I thought it said Dutch plan to ban burgers. Lol-here I was all set to post about Mad Cow disease.

Becca

beakiebean said:
When I read the title of the thread for some reason I thought it said Dutch plan to ban burgers. Lol-here I was all set to post about Mad Cow disease.

Becca
Now that is funny!

If anyone says this is some kind of discrimination against women I's say I don't think so. Burqas cover everything to where the only way to tell the sex would be if you see a little bump down below. LOL

But today there is a new threat. Forget what the sex is, because now there is an alert for pregnant Moslem women. I guess they have security info where the gal may not really be pregnant and have a bomb up inder her clothing instead.

If you see someone that looks preggers wearing a Burqa, run!~

I remember on GlobeTrekker they were in Oman, and they have a Burqa shop there where everything is designer and very very expensive. The gal said she had never seen so many variations of black Burqas. Jewels and rhinestones, beaded with exquisite fabrics. Neato!~

Scandi

I agree with Details. (Again. What is happening to us!?)

I'm not sympathetic to the idea that burkas make others uncomfortable.

However, the security issue is another matter...

(And let's remember there are other garments that Muslim women may wear that do not hide the face.)

Nova said:
I agree with Details. (Again. What is happening to us!?)

I'm not sympathetic to the idea that burkas make others uncomfortable.

However, the security issue is another matter...

(And let's remember there are other garments that Muslim women may wear that do not hide the face.)
You're right...I have Iranian Muslim friends that wear a scarf to cover their hair.

It's all more prejudice IMO. All of of a group being blamed or suspected because of what some have done.

What if people were being banned from wearing Christian crosses? Look at the uproar just because of stores and such saying happy holidays instead of merry christmas.

I'm not saying I'm for bad treatment of women or the wearing of these things, just that people seem to be all for interferring with someone elses religion but are oh so protective and sensitive about their own.

montana_16 said:
It's all more prejudice IMO. All of of a group being blamed or suspected because of what some have done.

What if people were being banned from wearing Christian crosses? Look at the uproar just because of stores and such saying happy holidays instead of merry christmas.

I'm not saying I'm for bad treatment of women or the wearing of these things, just that people seem to be all for interferring with someone elses religion but are oh so protective and sensitive about their own.

You are right for the most part, but until Christians start wearing crosses that conceal their faces, the analogy doesn't quite hold.

If a group of people started wearing masks at all times in public (for whatever purpose), we would also have reason for concern.

SadieMae said:
You're right...I have Iranian Muslim friends that wear a scarf to cover their hair.

So do I. In an earlier "burka thread," windovervocalchords gave us some very nice links about the various traditions of dress for Muslim females.

It's a good move by the Dutch, they are following the lead of the French, who started this whole restriction thing when they banned some Muslim attire in schools--In a poll taken recently, 70% of French people believed there were too many Arabs in their country( and 40% of French people thought their were too many blacks in their country, even though blacks make up only about 4% of the population,so much for French tolerance lol)--the British also picked up on this--Now the Dutch are taking it one step further---they should just deport anyone immediately who disobeys this new law---Europeans have had enough, and they are fighting back the best way they can, thru legal means

Peter Hamilton said:
It's a good move by the Dutch, they are following the lead of the French, who started this whole restriction thing when they banned some Muslim attire in schools--In a poll taken recently, 70% of French people believed there were too many Arabs in their country( and 40% of French people thought their were too many blacks in their country, even though blacks make up only about 4% of the population,so much for French tolerance lol)--the British also picked up on this--Now the Dutch are taking it one step further---they should just deport anyone immediately who disobeys this new law---Europeans have had enough, and they are fighting back the best way they can, thru legal means
If you're gonna ban attire for females why not bras?

Who cares if someone's face is entirely covered? In many parts of this country, you can't see people who are bundled up at all during winter.

If someone robbed a bank or kidnapped a child wearing a Burqa how would any witness be able to identify them? :waitasec: humm let me see..they had brown eyes:waitasec:
and they were covered from head to toe in a potato sack..give me a break.. Do we allow nudist to roam the streets necked? they could say that it is their religious belief to not wear clothes.. maybe not quite the same thing but I hope ya get my point..Banks dont allow customers to wear mask in them to do business on halloween and neither do some other businesses, so why would it be ok for muslin women to wear a Burqa in a bank any day of the week?:banghead:

southcitymom said:
Who cares if someone's face is entirely covered? In many parts of this country, you can't see people who are bundled up at all during winter.
I agree but they wouldnt keep their face covered when attending business either unless it was doing something unlawful in most cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back