1455 users online (291 members and 1164 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1

    Can Coulter and Malkin be prosecuted?

    NEW YORK The man arrested this weekend for allegedly sending white powder to media figures and other high-profile people may be a big admirer of conservative syndicated columnists Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin, according to a writer interviewed on MSNBC.
    Coulter has said some ... absolutely ludicrous things about -- she once said that ... "we need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, making them realize that they can be killed, too".'
    http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/..._id=1003408109

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,568
    Radar Online writer John Cook was interviewed by Keith Olbermann in this article. Cook said the following:


    Cook speculated that "Coulter and Malkin ... sort of present a kind of rhetorical world view where they have their troops out there, and I think he thought of himself as one of their troops and wanted to live up to their standards."
    *snip*

    "It appears that Mr. Castagana was a poster to the FreeRepublic, which, as you know, is an online library of some of the most thoughtful right-wing thinkers out there. And his profile said, 'Ann Coulter is a goddess and I idolize Malkin"
    *snip*

    Cook added: "I don't think we can always hold these people responsible for the actions of the least hinged of their followers, but I think it is clear that he was an acolyte of the Coulters and the Malkins, and I think that they clearly enjoy having acolytes, and they clearly sort of issue calls to action -- not necessarily to send threatening powder-filled envelopes to you in so many words, but they certainly exhort their followers to let themselves be known."
    *final snip*
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````
    Here's what I think on this situation... of course, what I'm about to say is JMO!
    How could Ann Coulter possibly be held responsible for the actions of some crazy poster on her website? That is absolutely ridiculous to me. I'm no Coulter fan by any stretch. I think she's a disgusting media wh*re... but to suggest that she can control the actions of her "fans" is absurd... I don't know why this interview was done, or this article was even written, for that matter.







  3. #3
    Ditto


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,186

    ...maybe Coulter can marry this guy...

    ...she's always whining about why no one will marry her...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by cappuccina
    ...she's always whining about why no one will marry her...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mssheila
    Dark Knight is a big fan of hers and he's single.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,186

    ohhhh, yes, and I've already pointed out there's another girl for him as well...

    ...she's single too...

    ...very bright, and verrry scarrry...

    http://dawneden.com/blogger.html

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,719
    She can't be held responsible, but she's the Goddess of Hate IMO.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    While I find Coulter to be unhinged, I will defend to the end her right to state her opinion. She should not be held responsible for this man's actions.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    While I find Coulter to be unhinged, I will defend to the end her right to state her opinion. She should not be held responsible for this man's actions.
    There was a case in Oregon that Morris Dees was involved in.

    A man from Ethiopia, Mulugeta Seraw, was beaten to death in a racially motivated murder by skinhead youth.

    They were inspired by hate speech by Tom Metzger, Aryan Resistance leader who claimed no responsibility, because he was 1000 miles away from Portland at the time.

    Morris Dees sued Metzger and won which gave money to the Seraw family and broke the back of the White Aryan Resistance.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords
    There was a case in Oregon that Morris Dees was involved in.

    A man from Ethiopia, Mulugeta Seraw, was beaten to death in a racially motivated murder by skinhead youth.

    They were inspired by hate speech by Tom Metzger, Aryan Resistance leader who claimed no responsibility, because he was 1000 miles away from Portland at the time.

    Morris Dees sued Metzger and won which gave money to the Seraw family and broke the back of the White Aryan Resistance.
    I have read of a few cases like this one that your describe. I know it is possible to hold people liable is cases like this. Without knowing all the details of any individual case, I will withhold my opinion.

    I will say that I think it sets dangerous legal precedent to blame someone's words for someone else's actions. Freedom of speech is a concept I hold near and dear to my heart.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    I have read of a few cases like this one that your describe. I know it is possible to hold people liable is cases like this. Without knowing all the details of any individual case, I will withhold my opinion.

    I will say that I think it sets dangerous legal precedent to blame someone's words for someone else's actions. Freedom of speech is a concept I hold near and dear to my heart.
    Normally, I agree with free speech.

    I draw the line at hate speech and violent speech. Ann Coulter appears to have no other interest than to incite hatred. If she knew she could be sued, she might be financially motivate have to control herself.

    That would be a worthwhile and positive thing.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords
    Normally, I agree with free speech.

    I draw the line at hate speech and violent speech. Ann Coulter appears to have no other interest than to incite hatred. If she knew she could be sued, she might be financially motivate have to control herself.

    That would be a worthwhile and positive thing.
    It's a fine line, I agree...best left to the Courts and the specific facts of any given case.

    Ann Coulter certainly has a following that agrees with her positions. They feel like she speaks the truth and is more about that than inciting hatred.

    I know she says some over-the-top things. She's a rabble-rouser to be sure - but lots of political pundits are. I wouldn't begin to know how to shut them all up except by turning off the radio or the television.

    She doesn't appeal to me, but I am loathe to call for the silencing of people with strong opinions that differ from my own.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,967
    she's just acting out because the dems are taking control again.. and her party's failings are embarrassing her. BAWWw-HAW!! jealous much, loser....???

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    I don't know that I draw the line at hate speech or violent speech because that too is a matter of perspective. To a pacificist, any person that speaks in a manner that leads men into war (ie, our President, military leaders, etc..) could be accused of violent, hate speech.

    I think - with rare, specific exception - freedom of speech should be jealously guarded and protected - even when loathsome things are being said.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Ann Coulter trashes soccer
    By outofthedark in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 11:22 PM