708 users online (106 members and 602 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,077

    TN - Leoma Patterson, 52, Anderson County, 20 Oct 1978

    Leoma Patterson
    was reported missing on October 20, 1978 from Anderson County, Tennessee
    Classification: Missing
    Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: June 11, 1926
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 52 years old
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. She was a "snuff" user at the time of her disappearance.

    Circumstances of Disappearance

    Patterson was reported missing on October 20, 1978 from Anderson County, Tennessee.

    She was last seen at Peggy's Place, a bar that used to be on Clinton Highway. Police reports say she left the bar with two men. Days later, Leoma was reported missing.

    On March 12, 1979, children found skeletal remains on the banks of Norris Lake in Twin Cove. Tests at the time concluded that the remains were of Leoma Patterson. The bones were laid-to-rest in September 1985 in Phillips Cemetery in Anderson County, Tennessee. In August 1985, Jimmy Ray Maggard confessed to killing Patterson by hitting her over the head with a tire iron and dumping her body in the same spot where the remains were found. Although there were inconsistencies such as there being no damage to the skull, the body lay buried for almost 30 years.

    In 2005, Leonaís family hired one of the world's leading forensic anthropologists, Dr. William Bass, to exhume the remains to confirm if this was indeed their mother. DNA samples from teeth taken from the grave were compared with DNA from two different daughters of Leoma Patterson, and there was no match.

    The case of the disappearance of Leoma Patterson is again open. Authorities have not been able to identify the remains that lay buried in Leoma's grave for nearly 30 years.

    Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

    Tennessee Bureau of Investigation 615-744-4000


    Source Information:
    WBIR
    Body in Grave is Not that of Leoma Patterson
    Leoma Patterson.com
    doenetwork.org Case File 2143DFTN

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    446
    Wow

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,384
    I know it sounds stupid but there is such a thing as Chimera DNA. A person can have 2 types of DNA. There have been cases where mothers were told their children were not theirs only to find the mother had Chimera DNA. Could this have happened?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,715

    explanation of chimera and mosaic DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Becba
    I know it sounds stupid but there is such a thing as Chimera DNA. A person can have 2 types of DNA. There have been cases where mothers were told their children were not theirs only to find the mother had Chimera DNA. Could this have happened?
    I thought it may help readers to post a link to an explanation of the DNA type that you spoke of.

    http://www.thetech.org/exhibits/onli...ask.php?id=172

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,077

    DNA testing...

    Quote Originally Posted by docwho3
    I thought it may help readers to post a link to an explanation of the DNA type that you spoke of.

    http://www.thetech.org/exhibits/onli...ask.php?id=172
    An interesting discussion. However, this type of mutation of DNA is rare. Besides, the dead woman's DNA was compared to two sisters, both daughters of the missing Leoma Patterson. The possibility of BOTH daughters being Chimera DNA individuals would be highly unlikely.

    I am not certain what type of DNA testing and comparisons were done in this specific case, but it is very likely that MITOCONDRIAL DNA is what they were looking at. That is the kind of DNA which is passed down from a mother to her children, and it would be the same even if this sort of "Chimera" fusing had taken place, because both fertilized eggs would have come from the mother.

    All that said, there are certainly other possibilities which might indicate a DNA Non - Match. Adopted children who were never told that they were adopted, or a child switched at birth (there have been such cases) might account for inability to match DNA.

    One wonders what other factors were considered which gave investigators cause to exhume the body and check the DNA. As it stands now, a once "solved" case is wide open and there is now a woman who is still missing - and the body is that of an unidentified "Jane Doe".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    183
    Is there a link to a reconstruction of the body that was in the grave?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,077
    Quote Originally Posted by pardilia
    Is there a link to a reconstruction of the body that was in the grave?
    Not that I am aware of at this time. My guess is that the next step will be to try to obtain an image of what the woman looked like and get it in the system, but that has not happened yet.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,715

    example

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    An interesting discussion. However, this type of mutation of DNA is rare. Besides, the dead woman's DNA was compared to two sisters, both daughters of the missing Leoma Patterson. The possibility of BOTH daughters being Chimera DNA individuals would be highly unlikely.

    I am not certain what type of DNA testing and comparisons were done in this specific case, but it is very likely that MITOCONDRIAL DNA is what they were looking at. That is the kind of DNA which is passed down from a mother to her children, and it would be the same even if this sort of "Chimera" fusing had taken place, because both fertilized eggs would have come from the mother.

    All that said, there are certainly other possibilities which might indicate a DNA Non - Match. Adopted children who were never told that they were adopted, or a child switched at birth (there have been such cases) might account for inability to match DNA.

    One wonders what other factors were considered which gave investigators cause to exhume the body and check the DNA. As it stands now, a once "solved" case is wide open and there is now a woman who is still missing - and the body is that of an unidentified "Jane Doe".
    Your post is sort of an example of why I posted the link to the info. The info enables people to read and understand the dna type being discussed and thus to better decide if it is a viable possibility in this case. (Although for all I know you yourself may have already known about the DNA type discussed. It still may assist others to read and know the info.)

    Whatever the reason for the case being reopened, kudos to those L.E. willing to open a supposedly closed case to find the truth.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Not that I am aware of at this time. My guess is that the next step will be to try to obtain an image of what the woman looked like and get it in the system, but that has not happened yet.
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/514uftn.html

    Weee! Just posted on the doenetwork. Heh. States your theory - they're in the process of exhuming in order to get more information.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    402
    The time between Leoma going missing and the remains being found appears to be less than 5 months. In Richard's first post of this thread it indicates children found skeletal remains, would the body really be just skeletal remains in less than 5 months? I realize they seem pretty confident the body is not Leoma but seeing the dates just made me wonder. I tried looking up decomposition but I kept getting results for bodies in caskets.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    117

    I don't want to be disgusting...

    but if a body is exposed to animals there is a good chance that there only will be skeletal remains after a few weeks.

    Sorry

    M.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa
    but if a body is exposed to animals there is a good chance that there only will be skeletal remains after a few weeks.

    Sorry

    M.
    You don't need to worry, we've probably posted worse on here.

    Welcome to WS, it's nice meeting you!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    117
    Thank you for your nice welcome. I'm not American, but from Germany. And Iím very impressed how polite and empathetic you interact here. Some of the threats I've read would have badly escalated if posted on German websites.
    So I try to behave myself just to meet American standards ;-)



    Greeting from Munich, Bavaria





    M.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa
    Thank you for your nice welcome. I'm not American, but from Germany. And Iím very impressed how polite and empathetic you interact here. Some of the threats I've read would have badly escalated if posted on German websites.
    So I try to behave myself just to meet American standards ;-)



    Greeting from Munich, Bavaria





    M.
    I'm from Canada and I've always wanted to go to Germany. I also know some German from my German language pop albums. I don't speak the language well enough though to hold a conversation. Auf Wiedersehen!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,600

    DNA tests in Patterson case ruled faulty

    A bizarre mystery swirling around a woman who went missing 28 years ago has taken an even stranger turn, Dr. Bill Bass said Friday.

    DNA tests confirming that bones exhumed from Leoma Patterson's grave aren't hers have been ruled faulty, the famed forensic anthropologist and author said.

    And some say a clay model built upon the now re-exhumed skull bears a strong resemblance to Patterson, Bass said.

    "This may be Leoma,'' Bass said. "After all of this, it's possible it could be her.''

    The startling developments have reopened a family's wounds and worries over the fate of their long-missing mother.

    "I'm telling you, this is a mess,'' said Pearl Smith of Jamestown, one of Leoma Patterson's seven children. "It's mind-boggling and everything else.''

    The still-unfolding saga has also divided family members.

    http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...325392,00.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. TX TX - William, 52, & Margaret Patterson, 42, El Paso, 5 March 1957
    By meggilyweggily in forum Pre-1960's Missing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-18-2017, 10:08 PM
  2. MT MT - Marsha Helgeson, 21, Billings, 9 Sept 1978
    By SAHI in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-2016, 07:50 PM
  3. IA IA - Wilma Nissen, 23, Lyon County, Aug 1978
    By PonderingThings in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-14-2016, 04:42 PM
  4. MS Kyle Anderson (9), Cameron Anderson (12), & Rachel Anderson (13) - Fulton MS, 2000
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 08:49 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM

Tags for this Thread