Rosie O'Donnell and Kelly Ripa...

Beffie

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Rosie is accusing Kelly Ripa of being homophobic. I watched Live with Regis and Kelly and thought Clay Aiken was really full of himself and was out of line for putting his hand over Kellys mouth. I did not see it as her being rude towards gays, I thought she just has had enough of his smugness...is that a word? I really think Rosie is being quite anal.

http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1562002,00.html

Rosie is being ludacris! I used to really like Rosie but ever since she "came out" she's been a little over the top on most subjects...and I can say that as I am the proud daughter of step-lesbians (one of them used to be married to my dad) and I love them to death! Anyway, I think Kelly was absolutely correct with what she said and I don't think it was a "homophobic remark"...it is cold season...and it is just plain rude to put your hand over someone elses mouth regardless of the season. I would have said the same thing. Clay should be the one apologizing...he was a guest on her show! And he's not all that anyway...just a flash in the pan, imo

I don't like Kelly Ripa (or Rosie for that matter) but I think Rosie is a little on the defensive side.

If it was me in Kelly's place and someone (ANYONE) put their hand over my mouth I would go off.

Rosie needs to get over it. :loser: IMO....

The way I read the article you cite, O'Donnell was questioning Ripa's specific remark that she didn't know where Aiken's hand has been, not whether Ripa had the right to correct Aiken.

The remark does seem to echo the ignorant idea that gays are "unclean" -- until you read Ripa's explanation. Ripa says she was concerned about colds and flues after seeing Aiken shake hands with audience members.

It's well known today that most cold and flu germs are passed by direct physical contact. At the theater where I work, the performers wear gloves while they shake hands with the public - and it has nothing to do with homophobia. It's because they shake hands with thousands of people every week and they can't afford to get sick and miss a show.

Mountain/molehill, IMHO.

As far as I know Clay Aiken never proclaimed he was gay, so who is Rosie to say anything Kelly Ripa did was homophobic if we don't know for sure?

Nova said:
The way I read the article you cite, O'Donnell was questioning Ripa's specific remark that she didn't know where Aiken's hand has been,...The remark does seem to echo the ignorant idea that gays are "unclean" -- until you read Ripa's explanation...
I have heard people make this remark to others who are not gay. I think that they are trying to be funny, although I have never found any humor in it.

Since when is "I don't know where that hand has been," a homophobic remark? I'd say that to anyone who put their hand on my mouth. Even straight people scratch their own butts now and then.

LOL I have used that phrase "I dont know where that hand has been" a million times and never with any gay implication. I say it to my husband all the time and to my kids. Not everyone washs their hands after going to the restroom and people tend to scratch whatever itchs. I dont let anyone put their hands on my face or mouth. Its a coody thing.

homophobic? with that remark? come on, lighten up Rosie.. :doh: I've heard that remark many times and they were not from gays.. Maybe Rosie is feeling left out of things and needs a little attention.. hum.. I use to like her but not much anymore..

I also use the phrase "I dont know where that mouth has been" when not letting men kiss my hand. I work as a bartender and for some reason men under the influence think its charming to kiss womens hands.

PaperDoll said:
homophobic? with that remark? come on, lighten up Rosie.. :doh: I've heard that remark many times and they were not from gays.. Maybe Rosie is feeling left out of things and needs a little attention.. hum.. I use to like her but not much anymore..
I don't watch Rosie but have always liked her.

I met Rosie some years ago at the Million Mom March. She is a very strong opinionated woman. My biggest dislike of her is that she has no problem being critical of others but is very defensive and outraged when the shoe is on the other foot. Someone that dishs needs to be able to take it as well.

So is Rosie outting Clay? As far as I know he's never made a statement that he is either/or. I think she may end up with egg on her face if he makes a statement regarding his sexual status being 'guessed' about.

BhamMama said:
So is Rosie outting Clay? As far as I know he's never made a statement that he is either/or. I think she may end up with egg on her face if he makes a statement regarding his sexual status being 'guessed' about.
That's what I was wondering too. I can't watch the clip right now b/c I am at work, but from what I've read, I don't think it was a homophobic comment.

BhamMama said:
Clay has never divulged his sexual orientation, though there has been endless speculation.

Sometimes I think Rosie spends her free time just looking for opportunites to have a public bi*ch fit!! Is that woman EVER happy about ANYTHING???

Paladin said:
As far as I know Clay Aiken never proclaimed he was gay, so who is Rosie to say anything Kelly Ripa did was homophobic if we don't know for sure?

Because Aiken is widely considered to be gay and has been the subject of countless homophobic remarks.

Nonetheless, it was just a misunderstanding on O'Donnell's part.

The show with Kelly and Clay was a disaster! You could cut the tension with a knife! They got off on the wrong foot from the very beginning and I fault Kelly in large part for not recognizing that fact and doing something to remedy it. It's her show after all, and Clay was a guest host.

julianne said:
Sometimes I think Rosie spends her free time just looking for opportunites to have a public bi*ch fit!! Is that woman EVER happy about ANYTHING???

I think it's clear O'Donnell misunderstood. But given how commonly homophobic remarks are tossed around, usually with impunity, I don't blame her for being a little touchy.

If I was Kelly I'd be miffed too, 1) Germs, 2) lipstick issues, especially since she's live on camera, 3) it's a talk show and she's the host, so she's supposed to talk, he's a guest host and shouldn't be trying to shush her, 4) rude to be touching someone else's face as a general invasion of one's personal space. Since Clay has never acknowledged being gay and Kelly presumably doesn't know that he is, it really wouldn't be a homophobic remark. Rosie should shut up and mind her own business. Clay's a big boy and can take care of himself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back