1172 users online (157 members and 1015 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Angry 2 unrepentant about selling Katrina gift

A church that wanted to do something special for Hurricane Katrina victims gave a $75,000 house, free and clear, to a couple who said they were left homeless by the storm. But the couple turned around and sold the place without ever moving in, and went back to New Orleans.

"Take it up with God," an unrepentant Joshua Thompson told a TV reporter after it was learned that he and the woman he identified as his wife had flipped the home for $88,000.

Church members said they feel their generosity was abused by scam artists. They are no longer even sure that the couple were left homeless by Katrina or that they were a couple at all.

"They came in humble like they really needed a new start, and our hearts went out to them," said Jean Phillips, a real estate agent and member of the Temple of Deliverance Church of God in Christ. "They actually begged for the home."

The church was also shocked by an ungrateful interview the couple gave with WHBQ-TV in Memphis.

"I really don't like this area," said Delores Thompson. "I really didn't, and I didn't know anybody, so that's why I didn't move in and I sold it."

Thompson, reached at a New Orleans phone number by The Associated Press on Tuesday, thanked the church for its generosity but said she saw nothing wrong in selling the three-bedroom, two-bath house.

"Do I have any legal problems? What do you mean? The house was given to me," she said. "I have the paperwork and everything."

She refused further comment and hung up.

The church had decided that it would do something special for one Katrina-displaced family, in addition to its other efforts to help evacuees. The church set up a committee to find the right family and conducted several dozen interviews.

Much more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/ap_on_re_us/katrina_gift_house&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    What a shame. It's people like this that cause people to think twice before lending a hand in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine
    What a shame. It's people like this that cause people to think twice before lending a hand in the future.

No kidding. The "husband" actually indicated he believes the church had done something wrong.

what asshats.

There should have been some kind of stipulation in the agreement to protect the church's interest. A good lawyer would have handled this better from the start.

What's the problem? You give a gift. The gift belongs to the receiver. The couple sold the house and got money for a new start in their home, New Orleans.

The story says the church conducted many interviews and found this couple needy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    There should have been some kind of stipulation in the agreement to protect the church's interest. A good lawyer would have handled this better from the start.

Well, sadly, BB, the church issued a statement saying they're going to start doing exactly that.

It's a sorry shame.

Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords
    What's the problem? You give a gift. The gift belongs to the receiver. The couple sold the house and got money for a new start in their home, New Orleans.

The story says the church conducted many interviews and found this couple needy.
    Agreed! It belonged to them and they were free to do whatever they wanted with it.

I think the gift was procured under false pretenses, which is where the problem lies. Obviously the church feels scammed.

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Unless there is proof that the couple didn't really need a home and scammed this church for the property they received, I agree that the house is theirs to do with as they wish.
    I mean the church set up a committee to search out this couple. Obviously the committee felt like they were in need. What's changed their minds now?
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I'm flopping on both sides of the fence on this one. One one hand I recognize the right to dispose of a gift in any manner one choses, but on the other hand see accepting a gift under false pretenses.

The church may want to stipulate the homeowners will remain in the home for a certain amount of years, simular to the "first home owner" buyers given FHA loans.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    I'm flopping on both sides of the fence on this one. One one hand I recognize the right to dispose of a gift in any manner one choses, but on the other hand see accepting a gift under false pretenses.

The church may want to stipulate the homeowners will remain in the home for a certain amount of years, simular to the "first home owner" buyers given FHA loans.
    What are the false pretenses?

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    What are the false pretenses?
    The begged for a house to live in, it sounds like, then never lived in it. Even saying they didn't even like the area.

Even if it was legal, they took advantage of the church's generosity, which isn't cool.

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    The begged for a house to live in, it sounds like, then never lived in it. Even saying they didn't even like the area.

Even if it was legal, they took advantage of the church's generosity, which isn't cool.
    I re-read the story and see your point. I wonder how the church will respond.

I'm hardly ever in complete agreement with Dark Knight, but these people ick me out. Their actions and attitudes about it make me wonder if they attempted to get the house just so they could profit from it. I'd be embarrassed if I had done something like this; just because it's legal doesn't necessarily make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by reportertype
    I'm hardly ever in complete agreement with Dark Knight, but these people ick me out. Their actions and attitudes about it make me wonder if they attempted to get the house just so they could profit from it. I'd be embarrassed if I had done something like this; just because it's legal doesn't necessarily make it right.
    I love you too.

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast