Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Criminal - guilty of accessory to rape

Votes: 73 96.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pepper

Former Member
Reaction score
Is Warren Jeffs a victim of religious prosecution or his he a criminal guilty of accessory to rape?

I voted Criminal, guilty of accessory to rape. I think he's a pedophile hiding under the guise of "religious calling", plain and simple.

I am not sure what you are getting at by wording things as you did, Pepper. I believe he is a criminal, because the people he took as wives were under the age of legal consent at the time he consummated the marriage with them. I do believe, that even in the Mormon and Church of Latter Day Saints they are instructed to follow the laws of the land they live in. I know the Bible says to "follow the laws of man".

KatK said:
I am not sure what you are getting at by wording things as you did, Pepper. I believe he is a criminal, because the people he took as wives were under the age of legal consent at the time he consummated the marriage with them. I do believe, that even in the Mormon and Church of Latter Day Saints they are instructed to follow the laws of the land they live in. I know the Bible says to "follow the laws of man".
KatK....Warren Jeffs was the head "prophet" of the FUNDAMENTALIST Church of Latter Day Saints, which is an offshoot of the Mormon Church. I think that Fundamentalists Mormoms make their OWN laws. I believe that they think they are above the regular government law, and thereby make their own to live by. Of course, all that changed when the Feds went in to Colorado City/Hilldale and broke up their sect. I'm not 100% on this, so I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, LOL.

I don't care how many wives a man wants but I tend to think they should be old enough to legally be able to consent.

I didn't vote, I am just not sure.

julianne said:
I voted Criminal, guilty of accessory to rape. I think he's a pedophile hiding under the guise of "religious calling", plain and simple.
ditto from me :sick:

julianne said:
KatK....Warren Jeffs was the head "prophet" of the FUNDAMENTALIST Church of Latter Day Saints, which is an offshoot of the Mormon Church. I think that Fundamentalists Mormoms make their OWN laws. I believe that they think they are above the regular government law, and thereby make their own to live by. Of course, all that changed when the Feds went in to Colorado City/Hilldale and broke up their sect. I'm not 100% on this, so I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, LOL.

I don't think anyone has broken up the sect in Colorado City. My hubby was there last year and believe me it is alive and well.

BTW I believe he is GUILTY. But the bigger issue is where does religious freedom stop and the laws of the land take precident? The FLDS as well as the LDS are relatively "new" religions, historically speaking, having their roots about 1820.

So what is to stop anyone from founding a new "religion" in which the first born male is "sacrificed" or in which fathers "teach" their young daughters about sex? I mean if they believe "God told them to" does that make it right? Seems to me that sooner or later the Supreme Court needs to take a stand and define the boundries between illegal acts and religious freedom.

There are many religions that have different beliefs from the norm. Christian Scientists don't believe in medical intervention for their sick. Jehova's Witnesses don't believe in blood transfusions. This has always been a sticky issue when minor children are involved.

Pepper said:
I don't think anyone has broken up the sect in Colorado City. My hubby was there last year and believe me it is alive and well.

BTW I believe he is GUILTY. But the bigger issue is where does religious freedom stop and the laws of the land take precident? The FLDS as well as the LDS are relatively "new" religions, historically speaking, having their roots about 1820.

So what is to stop anyone from founding a new "religion" in which the first born male is "sacrificed" or in which fathers "teach" their young daughters about sex? I mean if they believe "God told them to" does that make it right? Seems to me that sooner or later the Supreme Court needs to take a stand and define the boundries between illegal acts and religious freedom.

There are many religions that have different beliefs from the norm. Christian Scientists don't believe in medical intervention for their sick. Jehova's Witnesses don't believe in blood transfusions. This has always been a sticky issue when minor children are involved.
Excellent points Pepper. As for the poll and Jeffs' guilt or innocence, I am a bit confused. Wasn't he wanted by the F.B.I for sexual assault on a child (his nephew)? Now these charges and the nephew are not mentioned. Also how can he be charged as accessory to rape if the actual rapist is not charged?

Pepper said:

BTW I believe he is GUILTY. But the bigger issue is where does religious freedom stop and the laws of the land take precedent? The FLDS as well as the LDS are relatively "new" religions, historically speaking, having their roots about 1820.

So what is to stop anyone from founding a new "religion" in which the first born male is "sacrificed" or in which fathers "teach" their young daughters about sex? I mean if they believe "God told them to" does that make it right? Seems to me that sooner or later the Supreme Court needs to take a stand and define the boundaries between illegal acts and religious freedom.

I believe that most courts have decided that, yes, of course there is freedom of religion but with limitations. Any practices or beliefs which are against the laws of the land are forbidden.

Imo, one cannot hide behind their religion and be head of an empire that advocates or conspires to statutorily rape children that are not only unwilling participants but are legally underage.

If there aren't commonsense laws in place then the next thing we may have is those that think human sacrifices are the way to go and expect no accountability legally.

It is simple. Doesn't matter if someone is an atheist or a religious fanatic. Forcing underage children to have sex is illegal.

IMO

Ocean

Sally said:
Excellent points Pepper. As for the poll and Jeffs' guilt or innocence, I am a bit confused. Wasn't he wanted by the F.B.I for sexual assault on a child (his nephew)? Now these charges and the nephew are not mentioned. Also how can he be charged as accessory to rape if the actual rapist is not charged?

How many wives does he have? I would think his "brides" too were all underage.

Didnt his father have 75 wives?

IMO

Ocean

julianne said:
Just to clarify - you aren't saying that YOU think that they have their own laws, right? Just that they THINK they are above the law? If I understand right, then yes, they THINK they are.

Native Americans, their tribes, their lands, etc are a sovereign nation, and Puerto Rico and other lands that are part of the U.S. may have their own laws. But Utah, Colorado City, etc. don't qualify - Warren Jeffs is subject to state and federal laws.

Too late to cast my vote, but I vote Criminal!!!:behindbar :behindbar :behindbar

but not because he is innocent necissarily, but because the victim is no longer cooperating and is refusing to testify...I smell a cash settlement that has sealed her lips, but that is the cynical side of me.
ITYM, "pay off" since this is a criminal trial not a civil trial. Whatever the case, imho, your contention, while possible, is highly unlikely. Destructive cults simply do not operate in this manner. Furthermore, this young lady was born and raised in the cult so money would not play the same role that it does to the rest of the free world. Fear however would, as would all she was taught relating to their scripture and how it applies to their lives throughout her formative years. And finally, to better understand what more likely than not occurred, I urge you to read up on destructive cults and what it takes to leave these groups as well as what happens to the "whistle blowers." It's not pretty.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back