NY - Altemio Sanchez, Bike Path Rapist, Buffalo, 1990-2006

buffalogirl

Reaction score
Regarding the latest development in the case of a Buffalo area mother of 3 who was found murdered after taking an afternoon jog on a bike path in the suburbs. The Buffalo News is reporting that they have a DNA match that implicates a rapist/murderer who is linked to 9 attacks in the last 20 years. 3 of the women have died.

This is the first time I have posted on this site, but I have been a passive observer, and I have notices how powerful this site can be. This so-called bike path rapist is terrrorizing this community, and this last case is very strange. It has been at least 14 years since his last known attack which is unexplained, also he kills some of his victims and leaves others alive, he has attacked all over western New York, he doesn't have a specific area where he strikes. LE has very detailed sketches, and they also have other details based on his DNA.
I urge all of you to browse the www.buffalonews.com web site and search for the bike path rapist articles. See if it doesn't ring a bell for another area. Every little thing may add up to an arrest.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061117/1031772.asp
is one article that provides some of the details.

Hi Buffalogirl,

It sounds like the perfect case for Daryl Hinman to solve. She's an ex-FBI [profiler like Pat Brown. Sharp as a tack! I think she is real LOL, but on CTV they have her shows, and they are usually odd cases like this. Is this guy in jail if they know who he is? I'll have to read your info.

Scandi

Hi Scandi,
Hopefully LE brings in some big guns to solve this one. America's Most Wanted and Fox are now picking up on the story. But I think that regular people can be equally powerful when they notice something that is "not quite right", so that is why I am posting here.
They don't know who this guy is and they don't know where he has been for 14 years, but maybe someone out here in cyber land, has some idea.

We have the story here a couple threads I think. Not sure from your post if you have seen them? If not I'll find and post the links. This is where I heard about the case.

I remember a year ago reading the posts about linda Yalem, the UB student that was murdered on an Amherst bike path in 1990, and there is a short "missing" link to Joan Diver the mother of 4 and the latest victim, but I did not see a link to the bike path rapist. It is such a shame that someone can get away with a crime over and over again. I think of the BTK killer and I want to cry out for his family as well as for his victims. Someone may have called attention to him sooner if they had a venue like this available.
People would have been saved.

buffalogirl said:
Regarding the latest development in the case of a Buffalo area mother of 3 who was found murdered after taking an afternoon jog on a bike path in the suburbs. The Buffalo News is reporting that they have a DNA match that implicates a rapist/murderer who is linked to 9 attacks in the last 20 years. 3 of the women have died.

This is the first time I have posted on this site, but I have been a passive observer, and I have notices how powerful this site can be. This so-called bike path rapist is terrrorizing this community, and this last case is very strange. It has been at least 14 years since his last known attack which is unexplained, also he kills some of his victims and leaves others alive, he has attacked all over western New York, he doesn't have a specific area where he strikes. LE has very detailed sketches, and they also have other details based on his DNA.
I urge all of you to browse the www.buffalonews.com web site and search for the bike path rapist articles. See if it doesn't ring a bell for another area. Every little thing may add up to an arrest.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061117/1031772.asp
is one article that provides some of the details.
Thanks for posting BG. I have lots of relatives in Buffalo area, many that jog.
Welcome and thanks again.

I posted about this on the missing forum the other day. The dna from the attacker shows that he is part native american. I heard on Court tv that is more than 50% but have read elsewhere that it is less. He attacked and murdered Mrs. Diver the exact anniversary day that he committed another previous attack.

They nabbed him!!! They have him in custody, linked to DNA to 9 crimes including the three murders.He's a family man in his 40's,from the Cheektowaga area, with a wife and three kids. Neighbors can't believe it ... very nice man,very helpful,had neighborhood parties.

Justice prevails.

capps said:
They nabbed him!!! They have him in custody, linked to DNA to 9 crimes including the three murders.He's a family man in his 40's,from the Cheektowaga area, with a wife and three kids. Neighbors can't believe it ... very nice man,very helpful,had neighborhood parties.

Justice prevails.
Do you have a link?

http://www.wkbw.com/Story.aspx?type=ln&NStoryID=17459

Here's a link.

48 year old Altemio Sanchez of Cheektowaga is expected to be arraigned this afternoon in connection with the 1990 murder of U.B. student Linda Yalem.
Police went to Sanchez's house on Allendale Drive in Cheektowaga...executing search warrants on his home and his vehicle.

Thanks! This guy was out there a long time.....

And here's a video of a press conference held earlier. Beware, it's about 22 minutes long.

http://www.wivb.com/

And another short article.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5939883

The Cheektowaga man in his late 40s was taken into custody Monday morning and sources tell us he has been linked by DNA to nine crimes including the three murders believed to have been committed by the bike path rapist.

And the best article so far.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=44148

Officials say a break in the case came ten days ago when three different groups working on the case all came to the same conclusion. Sanchez has been under surveillance ever since.

At an afternoon news briefing, police say they have obtained a DNA sample from Sanchez and have a 100% match with evidence obtained from the three homicides.

ljwf22,

Sorry for the delay in responding.I didn't have any links,the information I got was from my local news. But no worries ... seems like Alice253 was right on top of it,in getting the links!

thank goodness they got him. this is unbelievable how these monsters are living amongst us.

capps said:

Justice prevails.
I just saw this mentioned on the morning news! YAY! I'm surprised it's not getting a little more attention, but maybe that's forthcoming.

In the meantime, it's just weird to me how people can really live two lives and nobody knows it. I totally get that the "bad guy" isn't going to look like a murderer or a rapist etc. But some of these creeps live for YEARS like a normal person and nobody, NOBODY, notices a thing. :waitasec:

Thank God for DNA, that's all I can say.

One of the rape victims spotted Sanchez in a mall years ago, followed him, and got his license number. Seems it was uninsured and belonged to an uncle who lied and covered for him when questioned by LE. The uncle finally admitted this recently after LE started putting all this together . Later, a co worker turned him in because he had seen Sanchez near a bike trail where one of the attacks happened.

txsvicki said:
One of the rape victims spotted Sanchez in a mall years ago, followed him, and got his license number. Seems it was uninsured and belonged to an uncle who lied and covered for him when questioned by LE. The uncle finally admitted this recently after LE started putting all this together . Later, a co worker turned him in because he had seen Sanchez near a bike trail where one of the attacks happened.
I hope the uncle gets charged with something.

I agree...because of his lie, women are dead and raped...what an *advertiser censored*..........

As a resident of WNY, I am following this case closely. I just hope that a case can be developed to bring charges against Sanchez in the Joan Diver case. I can't imagine what defense there could be as to his DNA appearing on the steering column of her vehicle. And, it was reported that there was evidence that indicated her vehicle had been moved the day she went missing. Still, the DA says there is not enough evidence to charge him in that case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back