1289 users online (189 members and 1100 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Suspect in Zodiac Killer Murders

January 26, 2004 -- A new suspect in San Francisco's notorious "Zodiac Killer" case was discharged from Vietnam and returned to California just three months before the unsolved serial murders began, The Post has learned.

Convicted hit man William Mentzer saw heavy combat in Vietnam when he was just 18 and 19 years old - and suffered from chronic post-traumatic stress disorder when he returned in 1968.

In prison interviews with The Post, Mentzer, 54, said he liked to taunt enemy North Vietnamese soldiers by taking pictures of their dead comrades.

The new revelations come in the wake of a Post report that the San Francisco district attorney found "compelling" links between Mentzer and the police profile of the never-caught Zodiac Killer - who taunted cops in letters as he brutally murdered five people and severely wounded two others in the Bay Area in the late '60s.

Mentzer is serving life sentence without parole for the 1983 Los Angeles murder of New York theatrical producer Roy Radin and the 1984 slaying of prostitute June Mincher.

Full Story from the New York Post

OMG this brings back memories for me. I had frogotten they never caught anyone in these cases.
    Thanks cass
    TYBEE U WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED AND LOVED.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=61288

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew View Post
    January 26, 2004 -- A new suspect in San Francisco's notorious "Zodiac Killer" case was discharged from Vietnam and returned to California just three months before the unsolved serial murders began, The Post has learned.

Convicted hit man William Mentzer saw heavy combat in Vietnam when he was just 18 and 19 years old - and suffered from chronic post-traumatic stress disorder when he returned in 1968.

In prison interviews with The Post, Mentzer, 54, said he liked to taunt enemy North Vietnamese soldiers by taking pictures of their dead comrades.

The new revelations come in the wake of a Post report that the San Francisco district attorney found "compelling" links between Mentzer and the police profile of the never-caught Zodiac Killer - who taunted cops in letters as he brutally murdered five people and severely wounded two others in the Bay Area in the late '60s.

Mentzer is serving life sentence without parole for the 1983 Los Angeles murder of New York theatrical producer Roy Radin and the 1984 slaying of prostitute June Mincher.

Full Story from the New York Post
    Wasnt there some pretty well founded suspicions(mostly from Maury Terry's research) that he may very well have played a role in some of the Son Of Sam killings as well?
    I for one wouldnt be at all surprised if the Zodiac and Sam cases werent periphally connected through occult weirdo channels.

Maury Terry had some interesting information on the Son of Sam case but he totally trashed his credibility by going of on the tangent of trying to link Mentzer, who was hired to kill Ray Rudin, to Son of Sam, the Process Church and various other evil occultists.

From what I read, the Mentzer-Zodiac ling was based on nothing more than "profile". There was nothing to actually tie him to the crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by kemo View Post
    Maury Terry had some interesting information on the Son of Sam case but he totally trashed his credibility by going of on the tangent of trying to link Mentzer, who was hired to kill Ray Rudin, to Son of Sam, the Process Church and various other evil occultists.

From what I read, the Mentzer-Zodiac ling was based on nothing more than "profile". There was nothing to actually tie him to the crimes.
    I beleive the Son of Sam killings were indeed carried out by Berkowitz and a group of Satan bent cultists but I too doubt the size of the conspiracy he was suggesting.

This is the only case I have ever seen that is solved like once every few months. lol What Happend to the last guy that found his dad's stash .Didn't he find a bloody knife a pair of glasses and the executiner's mask / hood . Where did he go ?
    Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

Sadly, there is no shortage of people claiming the Zodiac case is solved,and many of them are pretty shady people. If you are interested in Zodiac case discussion regarding suspects, victims, clues,etc, check out the site at:
    http://zodiackillersite.forummotion.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CanManEh View Post
    This is the only case I have ever seen that is solved like once every few months. lol What Happend to the last guy that found his dad's stash .Didn't he find a bloody knife a pair of glasses and the executiner's mask / hood . Where did he go ?
    Actually, you have combined two different "My Step-daddy was the Zodiac" claimants.

Deborah Perez made a big media splash when she claimed that her step-father Guy Hendrickson was the Zodiac. She claimed to have a pair of glasses that belonged to cab driver Paul Stine, but the glasses she had were different than the glasses worn by Stine on his cabbie license taken just a couple of months before his murder. More damning was the revelation that Perez had also claimed to be the illegitimate daughter of JFK. Needless to say, she quickly faded into well-deserved obscurity, but not before her publicist who also was part of a consortium of Hollywood folks who had bought the rights to her story threatened to sue anyone who repeated this claim. However, two well-respected Zodiac researchers told the same story, so she was effectively exposed as a loon. Hendrickson was not the Zodiac.

Dennis Kaufman made the claim that he had found Zodiac's hood stored in a PA amplifier. He claimed that his stepfather Jack W Tarrance was the Zodiac. There is an entire website dedicated to exposing the flaws in Kaufman's claims - just google "Dennis Kaufman Exposed". (Full disclosure: I am a mod there.) The problems with Dennis's claims are legion. One quick example is that the "hood" was actually one of at least three hoods seen by Kaufman's brother-in-law and the B-I-L says that he knows for sure that Kaufman made the first two. Also, the hood does not match the description of the hood given by Bryan Hartnell. Tarrance was not the Zodiac.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

Has this guy in the picture ever been identified?

From AMW, female is one of the victims and the guy closely matches the sketch of the Zodiac.

Quote Originally Posted by Lera213 View Post
    Has this guy in the picture ever been identified?
    Although he denies it, the general consensus is that this is Darlene Ferrin's first husband, Jim Crabtree. He says it is not him, but several friends of Darlene identified him. I suspect that he doesn't want to admit it because the next step would be for people to accuse him of being Zodiac and he was investigated and cleared early into the investigation.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

I just don't understand why they cannot solve this case. They must have DNA from the stamps, a partial print. You cannot tell me that a SK has never been in trouble with the law before. Then again we had the BK killer. Wonder if the BK killer use to live in California.

I believe the SK is dead. His ramblings or reported ramblings make me think he was a satanic worshiper. I kept going back to the cab kill and were he got off. He must have lived or was visiting someone in that area. I just cannot believe that LE hasn't solved this.

I think hes very similar to the son of sam.

Question ANother possible suspect

I have uncovered a possible suspect. I never ever even thought of the Zodiac intil one day my brain said ALERT:
    I have a name of someone who mathces the sletch to the 'T' and also was there in SF, that i was told of by him, in 1972 (I think he mentioned being there in the 60's as well) but a discussion we had leads me to believe he was there in 1972, (he was 18 in 1968-69)
    This suspect of mine uses many things in language that the zodic did and I am almost 100% the handwritting matches.
    What should I do?
    WHos an active investigator?

Welcome to websleuths, Time Cop!!

As far as I can see, the case remains open at the Napa County Sheriff's Department. Here is some contact information for them:

http://www.countyofnapa.org/Sheriff/

Here is a link to the online tips form:

https://www.tipsubmit.com/webtips.aspx?L=E&AgencyID=912
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Thanks for the links

Thanks.
    I spent last night making a document on all of the connections,then forgot to save when I shut the power button off on my comp. So I have the day cut out for me. I appreciate your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast