US lags behind in gender gap study

windovervocalcords

Former Member
Reaction score
The US lags at 22nd place behind developed and even a couple of developing countries in a study of inequality between men and women, mainly because it has few women in politics. This is in spite of the ascent of Nancy Pelosi who is set to become the first woman to head the US House of Representatives.

Sweden is the only country where men and women form equal numbers among all ministers and parliamentarians.

The study of 115 countries published on Tuesday by the World Economic Forum, a Swiss-based think-tank, measures the gender gap based on economic, political, educational and health-based criteria in a benchmarking exercise aimed at improving women’s position in society.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/fcccb534-7991-11db-90a6-0000779e2340.htmlhttp://www.ft.com/cms/s/fcccb534-7991-11db-90a6-0000779e2340.html

windovervocalcords said:
Sweden is the only country where men and women form equal numbers among all ministers and parliamentarians.

Do they just rely on quotas?

Karole28 said:
No.

We have had ten years’ experience with a gender-equal government and an almost gender-equal parliament,” says a very pleased Gertrud Åström. “Do you understand what this means for today’s ten-year olds? For as long as they can remember, poliicians and cabinet ministers are just as likely to have been women as men."

Gertrud Åström analyzes Swedish equal opportunity policies at the behest of the government. “Moreover, all these female politicians got to where they are on their own merits, not as the result of statutory allocation of quotas,” she says. “Other countries have had to set formal quotas just to achieve at least a 30 percent female representation, but Sweden has actually had a higher success rate without legislation.”
Facts: Distribution of elected female representatives
  • Parliament: 45 %
  • Municipalities: 41 %
  • County councils: 41 %
Facts: Distribution of female board members

• Companies listed on the stock exchange: 15%
  • Boards of directors of state-owned companies: 42%
Facts: Distribution of female directors

Karole28 said:
Voting itself is more equal - One thing that is done is having representative voting. I have to research a little... but basically when more than one seat is open, you run a slate of candidates. First - there's more than one party... makes a difference. Next, you run 3-4 people in the election, not just one to one.

One thing I find interesting in US voting - Democratic women are the most likely to work on bills and issues affecting women... after that is Republican women, not Democratic men. I usually vote Democratic, but will strongly consider crossing the line if it's a woman running - now I have good reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back