948 users online (188 members and 760 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,951

    Holocaust reunion

    The Jewish Foundation for the Righteous reunites victims of the Holocaust with those people who hid them every year. This latest story made CNN this morning--I squalled all the way through their "meeting."

    NEW YORK: A woman who was among the few thousand Lithuanian Jews to have survived the World War II Nazi Holocaust was reunited for the first time after more than 60 years with a member of the Roman Catholic family who helped keep her alive.

    Lea Ingel and Giedrute Ramanauskiene embraced and held each other during their emotional reunion at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Friday. They cried, acknowledging it might be the last time they would see each other, given their faltering health.

    Ingel, now 84, said earlier that she had no idea what she would say to the 77-year-old Ramanauskiene, whom she has not seen since she was sheltered at the farm owned by Ramanauskiene's family for a year.

    More at link: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/...st_Reunion.php

    More of the same:
    http://washingtontimes.com/national/...0640-7489r.htm
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...4-052549-6571r

    In horrific times, people stepped up to the plate, endangered their own lives and those of their families to do what was right regardless of their own religious affiliation. WE NEED MORE OF THIS!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora
    In horrific times, people stepped up to the plate, endangered their own lives and those of their families to do what was right regardless of their own religious affiliation. WE NEED MORE OF THIS!!!
    Amen amen amen!

    What a lovely post, thank you!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a place called Vertigo
    Posts
    17,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora
    The Jewish Foundation for the Righteous reunites victims of the Holocaust with those people who hid them every year. This latest story made CNN this morning--I squalled all the way through their "meeting."

    NEW YORK: A woman who was among the few thousand Lithuanian Jews to have survived the World War II Nazi Holocaust was reunited for the first time after more than 60 years with a member of the Roman Catholic family who helped keep her alive.

    Lea Ingel and Giedrute Ramanauskiene embraced and held each other during their emotional reunion at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Friday. They cried, acknowledging it might be the last time they would see each other, given their faltering health.

    Ingel, now 84, said earlier that she had no idea what she would say to the 77-year-old Ramanauskiene, whom she has not seen since she was sheltered at the farm owned by Ramanauskiene's family for a year.

    More at link: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/...st_Reunion.php

    More of the same:
    http://washingtontimes.com/national/...0640-7489r.htm
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...4-052549-6571r

    In horrific times, people stepped up to the plate, endangered their own lives and those of their families to do what was right regardless of their own religious affiliation. WE NEED MORE OF THIS!!!
    What a great post-- Thank you.

    Gozgals

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozgals
    What a great post-- Thank you.

    Gozgals
    Anyone see this movie? I would like to.

    PAPER CLIPS is the moving and inspiring documentary film that captures how these students responded to lessons about the Holocaust-with a promise to honor every lost soul by collecting one paper clip for each individual exterminated by the Nazis.
    http://www.paperclipsmovie.com/synopsis.php

    In 1998, assistant principal, history teacher, and football coach David Smith of Whitwell Middle School suggested to principal Linda M. Hooper that they could use the Holocaust as the basis for teaching tolerance in a voluntary afterschool program. Having difficulty in comprehending the massive scale of the Holocaust, students decided to collect 6,000,000 paper clips to represent the estimated 6,000,000 Jews killed between 1939 and 1945 under the authority of the Nazi government of Adolf Hitler.

    At first the project went slowly, as it did not gain much publicity. Students created a website and sent out many letters to friends, family and total strangers. The project started snowballing after it received attention from Peter and Dagmar Schroeder, journalists who were born in Germany during World War II and who cover the White House for German newspapers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Clips_Project

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a place called Vertigo
    Posts
    17,677
    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords
    Anyone see this movie? I would like to.

    PAPER CLIPS is the moving and inspiring documentary film that captures how these students responded to lessons about the Holocaust-with a promise to honor every lost soul by collecting one paper clip for each individual exterminated by the Nazis.
    http://www.paperclipsmovie.com/synopsis.php


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Clips_Project
    windovervocalcords- I have not seen this movie yet, but thanks for the heads up. I'm already searching for it and can't wait to view it. I have seen numerous documentaries on the Holocaust and this project sounds fascinating. I went ahead and read the write-up on it at wikipedia.

    Gozgals

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,530
    Paper Clips is a great movie. My child's history class viewed it and we all watched it at home.

    I highly recommend it. Very heartwarming.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a place called Vertigo
    Posts
    17,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Karole28
    Paper Clips is a great movie. My child's history class viewed it and we all watched it at home.

    I highly recommend it. Very heartwarming.
    I just received this response from someone that I asked to check around for me on Paper Clips. It is available at Netflix.

    Note: My club has them. I placed RENT for next week
    or so on Paper Clips plus it comes with (or should I say I ordered
    seperately) the companion BONUS DISC, which supposedly has interviews
    and New York footage.

    So it is available to rent if anyone is interested.


    Gozgals

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a place called Vertigo
    Posts
    17,677

    Update

    I finally got to view Paperclips while my computer was being repaired. It was a wonderful documentary. Very touching and moving. Everyone that is interested should rent or own it! All will be inspired by this journey of what these people accomplished while learning about the Holocaust.

    Tears were flowing in my home.
    Loving each and everyone one of us should always be the gift we give each other.
    Happy Holidays

    Gozgals

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozgals
    I finally got to view Paperclips while my computer was being repaired. It was a wonderful documentary. Very touching and moving. Everyone that is interested should rent or own it! All will be inspired by this journey of what these people accomplished while learning about the Holocaust.

    Tears were flowing in my home.
    Loving each and everyone one of us should always be the gift we give each other.
    Happy Holidays

    Gozgals
    How wonderful. I will likely have to order it because we live in such a small community. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    I look forward to seeing it in 2007.

    Happy Holidays

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,500
    I saw Paperclips on HBO several months ago....the kids, teachers, school, community have such a beautiful tribute to the Holocaust ~




Similar Threads

  1. Holocaust Survivor Meets Liberator
    By Gozgals in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 09:28 AM
  2. Holocaust survivor unites with family of benefactor
    By Kat in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM
  3. Holocaust siblings meet after 66 years
    By Lucy's mom in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 02:30 PM
  4. Bar mitzvah comes 63 years later for Holocaust survivor
    By LinasK in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 01:07 AM