GUILTY OH - Paris Talley, 3 wks, dies of thermal injuries, Dayton, 30 Aug 2005

Melly

Reaction score
This story makes me physically ill.. I can't even begin to comprehend this...

A Dayton woman is charged with killing her newborn daughter by putting her in the microwave.

Dayton police said recent evidence proved China Arnold, 26, killed 3 week old Paris Talley in August 2005.

The baby was already dead when she was brought to the hospital. A coroner determined she died of extreme heat, even though her body had no signs of burns or scalding.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/10413628/detail.html

DAYTON, Ohio -- An infant girl who died in August 2005 of a high body temperature might have been put in a microwave, and her mother has been charged in the death, authorities said Tuesday.

China Arnold, 26, was arrested at her home Monday on a charge of aggravated murder, more than a year after she brought her dead month-old baby to a hospital, police said.

"We have reason to believe and scientific evidence to support that a microwave oven might have been involved in the death of this child," said Ken Betz, director of the Montgomery County coroner's office.

At the time, Paris Talley's death was ruled a homicide caused by hyperthermia, or high body temperature, because of burns. Arnold was arrested initially, then released.

Betz said the case was difficult because "there is not a lot of scientific research and data on the effect of microwaves on human beings."

There was a lengthy investigation before prosecutors found enough probable cause to issue another arrest warrant, said Greg Flannagan, a spokesman for the county prosecutor's office.

Arnold's lawyer, Jon Paul Rion, said his client had nothing to do with her child's death and was stunned when investigators told her that a microwave might have been involved.

"China -- as a mother and a person -- was horrified that such an act could occur," Rion said.

The night before the baby was taken to the hospital, Arnold and the child's father went out for a short time and left Paris with a baby sitter, Rion said.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/10414500/detail.html

*MORE AT LINK*

I think she should die under similar circumstances.

I saw a video of the mother and she appeared devestated at the finding that her child might have been cooked. The child was left in the care of a babysitter the night before she died.

I do not think there is enough public evidence to condemn this mother, call her names or call for her painful death.

southcitymom said:
I saw a video of the mother and she appeared devestated at the finding that her child might have been cooked. The child was left in the care of a babysitter the night before she died.

I do not think there is enough public evidence to condemn this mother, call her names or call for her painful death.
you may be right, I honestly didn't read the artice, I couldn't so maybe I misspoke. I probably shouldn't comment if I havent read the articles but since I have babies I can't bring myself to read about the deaths and abuse of babies.

OMG. I read half the first sentence - I'm shocked! Sick with SHOCK! To tears... I have to leave my puter... oh dear... the image ... nooooo... I shouldn't have read this :( :( :( :(

There is an updated story on CNN with the mother's lawyer denying the charges. I can't imagine what this woman must be feeling.

Arnold's lawyer, Jon Paul Rion, said his client had nothing to do with her child's death and was stunned when investigators told her that a microwave might have been involved. (Watch the mother's lawyer insist she's innocent )

"China -- as a mother and a person -- was horrified that such an act could occur," Rion said.

The night before the baby was taken to the hospital, Arnold and the child's father went out for a short time and left Paris with a baby sitter, Rion said. The mother didn't sense anything out of the ordinary until the next morning, when the child was found unconscious, Rion said.

Arnold has three other children.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/11/28/baby.microwave.ap/index.html

The details on this one are a somewhat sketchy in that the initial reports have the 911 call saying the baby was covered with burns and the later reports say there were no external signs of burns. From the first news link there is an audio of a 911 call and the television station also transcribed onscreen as follows:
9-1-1 call:
Caller: We have a 3 week old baby in full arrest and the baby has gross burns on it's body. We have just pronounced it. The baby is covered in burns.

I do find it odd that the only suspect they have in this case is the mother of the three week old baby.

What about the father-where was he when the baby was brought to the hospital? What sort of statement has he provided to the police?

What about the alleged babysitter? Have they located a babysitter or even been able to show that the parents did go out briefly the night before Paris died?

How about forensic evidence? Do they have the microwave oven? Is so, how soon soon after the baby's death was the microwave seized into evidence? I hate saying this at all but have they recovered tissue evidence inside the microwave or a significant amount of fiber evidence?

The baby was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital so I wonder how accurate a time of death would be on a death that may have involved a microwave since little information is available on the effects of microwaves and human beings.

If a babysitter were involved the night before three week old Paris was pronounced dead that means she slept through that night without waking needing a diaper change or a feeding. I find this small detail a bit strange since I don't know of many, if any babies at the age of three weeks who sleep through the night at that age. I know of very few babies who don't fuss over a wet and/or poopy diaper so if a babysitter did anything one would think the parents may have thought something was amiss when Paris did not wake up for a middle of the night feeding and/or diaper change.

This murder occurred 15 months ago. I think that I heard that--after thorough investigation--they are finally arresting the mother for the murder. I am inclined to think that she is guilty.

ETA: I just saw the mother crying in a clip on Nancy Grace. She really seemed sincerely upset. Maybe, it was the boyfriend who did it. I am really confused now. :confused:

I find myself hoping it isn't the parents this time. It's sickening, but it still might be the babysitter. I don't know, how long would it take to die from the internal burns? Hours, or minutes? If the parents are innocent, the fact that they didn't notice something was amiss earlier (not that any help could be had for the poor baby) will haunt the rest of their days. :( :sick:

isn't it amazing that we were all once babies. I can't imagine doing this to my child or my mother ever doing this to me. I wouldn't be here to know about it, but still.

I feel so sick and depressed when I read these stories.
If it wasn't for the community sense at this site and the willingness of each and every one of us wanting to help find missing people or people who have harmed them, then I wouldn't be able to come here.
The community here is so strong that it makes all of this a little more bearable.
However, it doesn't lessen the pain and sadness that I am sure each of us feels after reading this and other stories.

That poor, poor baby. I just can't imagine the pain the baby must've felt.
:(

It makes me angry, too.
I hope the baby is resting peacefully in Jesus's arms with the angels, and free from pain and harm.
Please dear God, tell me this little baby did not suffer too much.
It will make this all a little more bearable.

If this happened to my child, and I was innocent, I would behunting down that babysitter and who knows what would happen when I found him or her.

southcitymom said:

I wonder why the babysitter was not charged? They have investigated for a year before charging the mother.

SewingDeb said:
I wonder why the babysitter was not charged? They have investigated for a year before charging the mother.
My best guess is that there is no babysitter.

Like I mention in my other post, if there was an alleged babysitter where is this person? Surely they would have had no trouble finding a person the baby's parents woudl be able to identify and hopefully would have a phone number and address for-not that there aren't parents out there who would leave their kids with a sitter they know nothing about :(

The DA must have a pretty strong case against the mother to have her be the only person charged, my own suspicions much as I do not want to believe it are the parents-one or both. I am not just ready to fully convict this mother based on what little information I know and I am interested in what details surface in court.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think about but clearly this is not the first case involving an appliance and an infant :(

I have a strong stomach - but this story made me want to throw up on my keyboard. What kind of sick individual could do something like that to a precious baby?

2sisters said:
you may be right, I honestly didn't read the artice, I couldn't so maybe I misspoke. I probably shouldn't comment if I havent read the articles but since I have babies I can't bring myself to read about the deaths and abuse of babies.
I wasn't trying to single you out! :blowkiss: I have two babies too and it is so sad to read about!

Gmommy said:
My best guess is that there is no babysitter.

Like I mention in my other post, if there was an alleged babysitter where is this person? Surely they would have had no trouble finding a person the baby's parents woudl be able to identify and hopefully would have a phone number and address for-not that there aren't parents out there who would leave their kids with a sitter they know nothing about :(

The DA must have a pretty strong case against the mother to have her be the only person charged, my own suspicions much as I do not want to believe it are the parents-one or both. I am not just ready to fully convict this mother based on what little information I know and I am interested in what details surface in court.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think about but clearly this is not the first case involving an appliance and an infant :(
It does stand to reason that - due to the child's age - the alleged abuse came from a caretaker or a parent. However, it sounds like they had a very difficult time determining the cause of death. Based on what I have read, I am not entirely convinced that a microwave was involved, But obviously, someone is. I will be interested to see what other information will be released.

In the only other case I know of that involved a mother using a microwave to harm her child, the mother most definitely had mental problems. That does NOT seem to be the case with this accused mother.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back