1179 users online (214 members and 965 guests)  

Websleuths News

Post The word of the year? You be the decider!

Will "landslide" win by a landslide? Will "sectarian," "vendetta" or "decider" be named 2006's word of the year?

Merriam-Webster Inc., publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary, is asking visitors to its Web site -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/06words.htm -- to pick the "one single word that sums up 2006."

The voting began November 20 and concludes on December 4, Arthur Bicknell, a spokesman for the Springfield, Massachusetts-based company, said in a telephone interview.

"We've been getting literally thousands of submissions," he said.

Bicknell said the company, which is owned by Encyclopedia Britannica, has no idea what the leading words are at this point in the voting.

The publisher expects to announce the winner and the other top nine vote-getters around mid-December.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061128/od_nm/word_dc&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I didn't read the article yet, but I vote for "truthiness" coined by Stephen Colbert...though, now that I think about it, he might have coined it last year!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I was about to post that whatever they choose, it won't measure up to "truthiness." But I thought that was last year's word.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    I was about to post that whatever they choose, it won't measure up to "truthiness." But I thought that was last year's word.
    Can't it be used two years in a row? I mean if the truthiness still fits...and all that!

"truthiness" is most excellent

I have an affinity for "pajamahadeen"...

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoReiter
    I have an affinity for "pajamahadeen"...
    Equanimity....

may we have some.

Hope

or Grace

impeach

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

impeach, definitely.

but my #1 fave 'would-be bushism' is still "strategery"...! (although i know it's a few years old now!)

OK, two votes the same; I'll go with those.

It's TRUTHINESS!

'Truthiness' is the word of the year
    SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts (AP) -- After 12 months of naked partisanship on Capitol Hill, on cable TV and in the blogosphere, the word of the year for 2006 is ... "truthiness."

The word -- if one can call it that -- best summed up 2006, according to an online survey by dictionary publisher Merriam-Webster.

"Truthiness" was credited to Comedy Central satirist Stephen Colbert, who defined it as "truth that comes from the gut, not books."

"We're at a point where what constitutes truth is a question on a lot of people's minds, and truth has become up for grabs," said Merriam-Webster president John Morse. "'Truthiness' is a playful way for us to think about a very important issue."

Other Top 10 finishers included "war," "insurgent," "sectarian" and "corruption." But "truthiness" won 5-to-1, Morse said.

Colbert -- who once derided the folks at Springfield-based Merriam-Webster as the "word police" and a bunch of "wordinistas" -- was pleased.

more at link

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html