1245 users online (284 members and 961 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 133
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,299

    A slip-up in the ransom note?

    "You will withdraw $118,000.00 from your account. $100,000 will be in $100 bills and the remaining $18,000 in $20 bills. Make sure that you bring an adequate size attache to the bank. When you get home you will put the money in a brown paper bag. I will call you between 8 and 10 am tomorrow to instruct you on delivery. The delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested. If we monitor you getting the money early, we might call you early to arrange an earlier delivery of the money and hence a (sic) earlier pick-up of your daughter."

    Banks usually open at 9AM. But then the kidnapper says he will call between 8 and 10AM with instructions on delivery. That's exactly when John would be at the bank. "If we monitor you getting the money early, we might call you early..." How would John possibly get the money earlier than 8AM?

    Do you think the writer actually meant the following day, when s/he said "tomorrow"? Meaning the note was written after midnight? Or did s/he just slip up, since it was all nonsense anyway?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,502
    Not to get off ur find, but the word """bring""" to the bank, sounds like the person is at the bank, i would think the word "take" would have been used.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    Not to get off ur find, but the word """bring""" to the bank, sounds like the person is at the bank, i would think the word "take" would have been used.
    ..or at their own home,when it was written?
    something to ponder:

    When the corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and the mortal have put on immortality, then shall we be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

    O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory?

    The sting of death [is] sin; and the strength of sin [is] the law.
    But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
    1 Corinthians 15:54-57

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    853
    What if the word "money" doesn't refer to actual cash, but is a code word for something else?


    -Tea

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,970
    I have always thought that there was some kind of "message" in the ransom note,and we're just missing it. We're probably missing it,because it's possibly a covert message that makes sense only to the author ... for now.

    As silly as this might sound ... but I compare the ransom note to the "Riddler" from Batman,when he use to leave riddles for Batman,and even Batman had to wrack his brain trying to figure out what it is...until at one point something clicks and Batman "gets it",and all of a sudden things come together and the riddle is answered.

    I may just have an overactive imagination ... but hey anything is possible,right?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,878
    I've seen text analysis of the note which says, among other things, the use of "bring" where most people would say "take" is a southern speech habit.

    Some people think "tommorow" means the 27th. One reason it might be the 27th is the Rs were giving themselves almost two whole days to dump the body. But they didn't follow through, if that every was their plan.

    The calling "earlier" part still makes little sense, imo. If the note meant the call would come the 27th, then the only earlier time JR could get the money would be on the 26th.

    The simplest explanation is that the note doens't really make a lot of sense because the author couldn't quite put herself fully in the frame of mind of the hypothetical killer/kidnapper.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    154
    T-Rex, what you said sounds right: "tomorrow" has to mean December 27 -- the ransom note writer knew it was now (early morning) Dec. 26.

    Plus, the note implies that John would need to use that next night (26th into 27th) to get "rested up" for the ordeal. How do you "rest up" in the morning while awaiting a phone call from a kidnapper?

    Also, "getting the money earlier" implies that if they got the money on the 26th they might be contacted earlier than 8-10 a.m. on the 27th.

    But, like you've all said, trying to parse this garbled note is useless, because it's almost certainly bogus. We've all seen the handwriting samples...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    32
    Good thinking, T-Rex! I'm a firm believer in the ransom note as a phony document and have studied it but never thought of the time thingy that you did.

    I go with your "a slip-up as the whole thing was nonsense anyway."

    On the other hand, since JR was an extremely wealthy man, it's conceivable that he would employ people to go to the bank for him etc. Gophers.

    But, since "the whole thing is nonsense anyway," whether JR had a Gopher or not doesn't matter.

    "Ransom Note" = Staging

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Detroit 'Burb
    Posts
    2,832

    Not An Intentional Message, Just a Slip-Up

    Quote Originally Posted by capps
    I have always thought that there was some kind of "message" in the ransom note,and we're just missing it. We're probably missing it,because it's possibly a covert message that makes sense only to the author ... for now.. ... but hey anything is possible,right?
    I too keep wondering if there isn't some UNINTENTIONAL slipup in that note. It's too long not to have one, but I just haven't been able to find it. There's bound to be something that's a clue. They're certainly bragging and/or bluffing about being able to "monitor" the family,like international spy wannabe's engaged in this kind of crime. Sort of like a child playing. I keep twisting and turning it in my mind. JR's the one who's been stationed in a foreign country, who may have been approached by someone claiming to be a real spy, a crazy. I don't think PR would have thought about people monitoring people. Any of us can be wrong, of course.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by JMO8778
    ..or at their own home,when it was written?
    Yeppers.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by capps
    I have always thought that there was some kind of "message" in the ransom note,and we're just missing it. We're probably missing it,because it's possibly a covert message that makes sense only to the author ... for now.

    As silly as this might sound ... but I compare the ransom note to the "Riddler" from Batman,when he use to leave riddles for Batman,and even Batman had to wrack his brain trying to figure out what it is...until at one point something clicks and Batman "gets it",and all of a sudden things come together and the riddle is answered.

    I may just have an overactive imagination ... but hey anything is possible,right?
    After reading the excellent book by Andrew Hodges,MD in which he word by word psycholinguisically analyzes the note, I got the 'message' loud and clear. His thoughts and work on this case deserve to at least be read and considered. He makes a lot of sense. It is called, A Mother Gone Bad, I am sure you can find it on amazon. In your scenerio, Dr Hodges is indeed Batman to the Ramsey's Riddler.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1
    I too keep wondering if there isn't some UNINTENTIONAL slipup in that note. It's too long not to have one, but I just haven't been able to find it. There's bound to be something that's a clue. They're certainly bragging and/or bluffing about being able to "monitor" the family,like international spy wannabe's engaged in this kind of crime. Sort of like a child playing. I keep twisting and turning it in my mind. JR's the one who's been stationed in a foreign country, who may have been approached by someone claiming to be a real spy, a crazy. I don't think PR would have thought about people monitoring people. Any of us can be wrong, of course.
    I don't know about all of it,but Jeff Merrick felt the '2 gentlemen' comment was about him and a friend.Listen to the interview Trisha listed,(I don't recall which thread the link is on),but that sounds like the most logical explanation,since JR pointed the finger at him right after the murder.
    Other parts seem to be written to throw LHP under the bus,as PR did that immediately.I think JR dictated part of the note to PR,and they both put in a few things that could throw suspicion on more than one person.
    something to ponder:

    When the corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and the mortal have put on immortality, then shall we be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

    O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory?

    The sting of death [is] sin; and the strength of sin [is] the law.
    But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
    1 Corinthians 15:54-57

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by JMO8778
    I don't know about all of it,but Jeff Merrick felt the '2 gentlemen' comment was about him and a friend.Listen to the interview Trisha listed,(I don't recall which thread the link is on),but that sounds like the most logical explanation,since JR pointed the finger at him right after the murder.
    Other parts seem to be written to throw LHP under the bus,as PR did that immediately.I think JR dictated part of the note to PR,and they both put in a few things that could throw suspicion on more than one person.
    JMO, Your last sentence really makes sense.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by JMO8778
    I don't know about all of it,but Jeff Merrick felt the '2 gentlemen' comment was about him and a friend.Listen to the interview Trisha listed,(I don't recall which thread the link is on),but that sounds like the most logical explanation,since JR pointed the finger at him right after the murder.
    Other parts seem to be written to throw LHP under the bus,as PR did that immediately.I think JR dictated part of the note to PR,and they both put in a few things that could throw suspicion on more than one person.
    In my opinion they threw mud in any direction they could fling it in. Hoping any would stick on anybody or nobody in particular at least long enough to get the tires from their bus bumping over the lucky suspect of the weeks backside. To put it succinctly they baffled with brilliance and buffaloed with bull.... you know

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradokares
    In my opinion they threw mud in any direction they could fling it in. Hoping any would stick on anybody or nobody in particular at least long enough to get the tires from their bus bumping over the lucky suspect of the weeks backside. To put it succinctly they baffled with brilliance and buffaloed with bull.... you know
    Another thing is they just don't look like they would do it. Hit her so hard her head splits, strangle her, stage a molesting scene with the paintbrush, carry her downstairs, write the note, everything. It is so bizarre the lengths they went to that people just can't believe they would do that.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. My take on the ransom note...
    By JMO8778 in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM
  2. S.B.T.C. / Ransom Note Merged
    By englishleigh in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 363
    Last Post: 08-25-2006, 03:28 PM
  3. The ransom note
    By terralee in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 213
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 06:27 PM
  4. Journalistic Ransom Note
    By Camper in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 07:45 PM
  5. Just a Ransom Note Quiz
    By Camper in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 02:27 PM