'Anti-American' sentiment could doom 2016 Olympic bid

Dark Knight

Reaction score

By Alan Abrahamson

NBCSports.com

Posted: Nov.29, 2006, 4:16 pm EST

KUWAIT CITY, Kuwait -- Chicago has emerged as a more intriguing possibility than Los Angeles, but any U.S. campaign for the 2016 Summer Games faces significant challenges and it's not at all clear the United States Olympic Committee should mount such a bid, an informal survey of leading International Olympic Committee members indicates.

An American bid must confront and contend with the distinctive U.S. role as the world's lone superpower as well as resentment within the IOC over financial advantages the USOC has long enjoyed, according to more than 20 IOC members interviewed here, including all but a few of the IOC's policy-making executive board.

Some of those interviewed said there's no question the U.S. should bid. "I think they should (bid) because one day we have go to back to the United States," one member said.

But others said a U.S. bid, no matter how credible, is likely to be doomed from the start.

"I wonder if it's wise," one member said. "The mood in the world is anti-American. Your president is a catastrophe."

Much more at link:

http://www.nbcsports.com/sports/501526/detail.html

I hope it would be Chicago - it's a great, dynamic multi-cultural city.

Anti-American sentiment; yes, it's something we'll have to work through for awhile; but no better place to show an example to the world than Chicago.

Marthatex said:
I hope it would be Chicago - it's a great, dynamic multi-cultural city.

Anti-American sentiment; yes, it's something we'll have to work through for awhile; but no better place to show an example to the world than Chicago.
It seems so dumb, though, since Bush won't even be in office in 2016 and neither will the next president, probably! Yeah, he's been a catastrophe, but why punish us 10 years later???

Maybe because it will be ten years before people who live in that area feel friendly toward us.

It may take that long to clean up the mess we have created, which we haven't even started since Bush is still "staying the course."

Dark Knight said:
It seems so dumb, though, since Bush won't even be in office in 2016 and neither will the next president, probably! Yeah, he's been a catastrophe, but why punish us 10 years later???

I know what you mean, DK, but I think the issues is feelings more than reasoned foresight.

Well I think Chicago would be an awesome choice for a host city!!!! The fact that it's only about 3 hours from me has NOTHING to do with my opinion! :D

Chicago is a great city; I hope that soon we will have leaders that will help restore other countries' opinion of us,

Because Americans are great! And we have some great communities.

Sorry, but nobody runs an Olympics better than Los Angeles. During the 1984 games, the freeways were empty because most Los Angelenos voluntarily stayed off them so people could get to the events.

Dark Knight said:
Good will is a tricky thing. It takes a long time to gain back that which has been diminished.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back