Sept. 11 Pilot's Tombstone Changed To Remove Wife's Name

Michelle Read

Reaction score
I just think this is so sad...:(

snip~

The Colorado widow of United Airlines Flight 93 pilot Capt. Jason Dahl has filed a lawsuit against the cemetery where her husband is buried after the cemetery changed her husband's grave marker.

Dahl was killed on Sept. 11, 2001, when United Airlines Flight 93 was hijacked and crashed into a Pennsylvania field, killing all on board.

Dahl's wife, Sandy Dahl, had their names inscribed together on a gravestone at Oak Hill Memorial Park in San Jose, Calif. She is suing the cemetery after she said the tombstone with both their names on it was replaced with one that has only Jason Dahl's name on it.

The cemetery said it did so at the request of her mother-in-law, Mildred Dahl.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/10434845/detail.html

What?!!! Sounds like mother in law has some problems. How incredibly hurtful. I hope the MIL feels better now. :slap:

OOps. I just read that she died. I hope the family feels better now. :blushing: :slap:

IdahoMom said:
What?!!! Sounds like mother in law has some problems. How incredibly hurtful. I hope the MIL feels better now. :slap:

OOps. I just read that she died. I hope the family feels better now. :blushing: :slap:

oops, me too :blushing:

On Monday, one day before the lawsuit was filed, Mildred Dahl died at age 83.

I guess there's more to this than meets the eye but still.... How decidely evil of the MIL to say her son's wife cannot be buried there! I understand she may have owned the plot (the MIL) but... regardless of how you feel about the wife, she was someone your son loved FFS. I wonder if the wife actually paid the family for the spot, or if she had just "received written permission" to be buried there. Funny thing- I'm currently working on drafting a legal memo with the same sort of circumstances...

Hold up - I think there is a lot more here than meets the eye. Maybe the MIL had good reason not to want her DIL buried there. I don't know, but I certainly don't have enough information to call the MIL evil.

I think what the MIL did was evil, the wife didn't live in CA, but the pilot had grown up there, so she wanted both of them to be buried in the plots with his parents in CA and had purchased his tombstone. ( In CA, the spouses have the burial rights). Well, the MIL placed her headstone over the DIL(wife's)without telling her:eek: !!! I think that's pretty darn low!

According to the article, other family members feel that the pilot's wife was in the wrong and taking a shot at the family by her actions. I would love to know the full story.

That's HORRIBLE!!! What a *&*^%^% thing to do!!

She should just buy a double plot where she wants and have her husband's name put on it. There can't be anything to bury so she should just do that and everyone will be happy.

LinasK said:
I think what the MIL did was evil, the wife didn't live in CA, but the pilot had grown up there, so she wanted both of them to be buried in the plots with his parents in CA and had purchased his tombstone. ( In CA, the spouses have the burial rights). Well, the MIL placed her headstone over the DIL(wife's)without telling her:eek: !!! I think that's pretty darn low!

same here, & as well it should be...imo

i also think it's "low" AND evil......her son had a wife, & IMO, it was LOW for the mother to dig up his grave, toss the other headstone in with him & place another one.....ESPECIALLY without telling her son's wife....i think that's VERY "low"....obvious this woman didn't like her son's wife; that's a given ....

the man was a pilot on Sept 11th:(
it's not like the poor wife killed him!!..geeeezzz.....may Mrs Dahl RIP, if she can....
the wife is in charge & hopefully she can move him wherever she wants & let him RIP.....

if the wife has "written permission" & that should count for something...she had his headstone put down in the cemetary & they were well aware of that....the cemetery could have at least let her know what was going on....

edited to change wording....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back