Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: OR - James Kim, 33 (deceased), Kati Kim, 30, & two kids, Roseburg, Nov 2006

OR - James Kim, 33 (deceased), Kati Kim, 30, & two kids, Roseburg, Nov 2006

http://www.ktvb.com/news/regional/st....41b4e452.html

snip

Authorities say 33-year-old James Kim, his 30-year-old wife Kati, and their two children, four-year-old Penelope and seven-month-old Sabine, vanished while returning from a holiday trip to Seattle. Kim is a senior editor for CNET Networks in San Francisco

The Kims were heading back to San Francisco when they reportedly planned to stay overnight last weekend at a hotel in Gold Beach, Oregon. Oregon State Police say the family never made it to the hotel, and San Francisco police have listed the family as missing.

Missing Persons Report Here:

http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=37978

Another article here:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Help...ily/1164983008

snip

Kim and his family were last seen driving a silver Saab station wagon with personalized California plates: DOESF

The "DOE" on Kim's license plate refers to Doe Fine Goods, one of two apothecary boutiques the family owns. Doe is located on Lower Haight Street, specializing in unique toiletries, designer clothes for women, and baby accessories. The Kims also own Church Street Apothecary, which specializes in housewares, bath accessories, and gifts. James' aesthetic touch and technical acumen can be seen on their Web sites.

I wonder if their went off the road somewhere? Wasn't their bad weather in the northwest?

Prayers for this family.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

What a beautiful family. I hope they are found.....safe and alive.

So scary. Where ARE they??

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    I wonder if their went off the road somewhere? Wasn't their bad weather in the northwest?

Prayers for this family.
    I was thinking the same thing.

oh boy.... here we go:

1) skidded off the road & into the water
    2) got lost and froze
    3) robbed by a stranger, killed, & car stolen
    and, always a possibility...
    3) dad went psycho, killed the family & disappeared.
    but in this case, probably one of the first 2.

Quote Originally Posted by reb
    oh boy.... here we go:

1) skidded off the road & into the water
    2) got lost and froze
    3) robbed by a stranger, killed, & car stolen
    and, always a possibility...
    3) dad went psycho, killed the family & disappeared.
    but in this case, probably one of the first 2.
    Reb-
    I thought of each of those scenarios. I too think it's #1 or 2.

This is from a Chronicle article about the family:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AGJ6MNGK81.DTL

snip

Back in San Francisco, Charlene Wright, an employee of the Apothecary store who was house-sitting for the Kims, had expected to hear from them Monday.

"Normally when Kati is out of town, she calls the store five or more times a day,'' said Wright. "But she didn't call'' Monday.

By Tuesday, Wright began to worry, and Wednesday morning, she filed a missing person's report.

Wright said authorities have told her that the last outgoing calls from the Kims' cell phone were Saturday around 2 p.m. "Everyone has a theory ranging from the not positive to the overly optimistic,'' said Wright. "The prevailing theory is that they got caught in bad weather and can't phone.''

Oh, MY, what gorgeous little girls. This is so sad. Praying hard that they are alive and can be rescued from somewhere or something.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&feed=rss.news

Oh no, if he planned to go to Redmond, too, to get information on MSN, then I know they are stuck. I work with MSN and the weather up there was so bad that most if not all of their headquarters shut down.

But the article doesn't say if they went to Redmond before or after their Thanksgiving trip? It just mentions that they were going to combine the trip.

What is the weather like where they were with family, I wonder?
    Last edited by PrayersForMaura; 12-01-2006 at 09:20 PM.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

coworkers create web site for missing family

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-966...?tag=cnetfd.mt

lovely lovely family. i pray they are all OK and just in a "broken-down" vehicle somewhere, but still alive and will be found soon.

i don't understand how they could not be found yet. i'm assuming their friends, family & LE are out retracing their route(s)...? were any of the roads on the planned route next to water? surely there would be a signs of a car going off the road, if there is dry snow, and the water is iced over.
    or, if they strayed from the main highways and got lost then i guess that's where it gets difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by reb
    i don't understand how they could not be found yet. i'm assuming their friends, family & LE are out retracing their route(s)...? were any of the roads on the planned route next to water? surely there would be a signs of a car going off the road, if there is dry snow, and the water is iced over.
    or, if they strayed from the main highways and got lost then i guess that's where it gets difficult.
    According to this link, he planned to take Highway 38 (presumably from I-5) to Highway 101, the coastal road that would take them to Gold Beach.

101 does cross many rivers as it winds down the coast. It's also hard to get lost - it's the main road on the Pacific coast.

The report indicates that Kim called the inn around sunset, and the innskeeper expected to see them sometime before midnight. It's about three hours from where 38 hits the coast to Gold Beach, and the sun sets pretty early during the winter, so I'm guessing he was on 38 when he called. The police seem to think that, too.

Unfortunately, if they did go off-road in the mountains, it may not be good - there was significant snowfall in the Northwest a day or two later, and also very cold. I'm not sure how it was in this part of Oregon, but I know Portland was hit relatively hard.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lurker Steve For This Useful Post:

This case reminds me of the James & Jennifer Stolpa story. Anyone remember that? Happened over 10 years ago, I think. They were a young couple traveling by car with their 5 month old baby. There was a severe snow storm & they got lost and ended up taking some side road that even furthered their dilemma. I think they ended up on a road that was closed. They stayed in the vehicle, then ended up walking. In the end, they were all found....James had to leave Jennifer and the baby alone in a cave or something and trekked on foot for days until he found help for himself and sent help to rescue his wife and baby. Baby was able to survive for so long because Jennifer was breastfeeding him. I've always remembered that story.....

I hope this family is found safe and well!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: Does anyone know if any roads were closed due to the bad weather? Maybe they were already on the road & had car trouble or an accident before the road was closed, and haven't been found because of the road closure? Wishful thinking here.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to julianne For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by julianne
    This case reminds me of the James & Jennifer Stolpa story. Anyone remember that? Happened over 10 years ago, I think. They were a young couple traveling by car with their 5 month old baby. There was a severe snow storm & they got lost and ended up taking some side road that even furthered their dilemma.
    There is an episode on "I Shouldn't Be Alive" on this very couple. I just saw it a few weeks ago.

FYI, it does look like 38 skirts the north boundary of the Elliot State Forest. The NF always has logging roads that it would be very easy to get lost on and not get found for a long time; not sure about state forests.

I know one FS road which is pavement for the first few miles (just like a real road), then starts turning to gravel, then becomes hard to navigate at all (steep, rough, etc.) These roads can be busy in the summer (if they lead to a popular hiking trail, for instance), but relatively deserted in the winter.

My guess would be that they ran off a road somewhere. Our weather has been really bad. It just started to thaw yesterday where I live. The school's have been closed and no one worked for the first few days of this week. We got hit without expecting it and so probably weren't prepared either. If they did go off a road I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. It has been so cold I don't know how anyone could survive without heat outside. I hope this isn't the case but no one has heard from the adults so it doesn't look to good.

A Saab is considered a higher-end vehicle, and from their website, it appears that the 2005 models all come equipped with Onstar. Hopefully LE is looking into this? I know that you have to maintain a "subscription" for Onstar, but maybe they did???

funny you should mention that, every time i hear a story of someone getting lost driving in the snow, i think of them. that story was amazing... they just barely made it. (too bad they ended up divorcing!)
    anyway that story shows that it IS possible to survive such conditions.. but i think they are the exception. i just hope the Kim family- if they are still alive- is somehow able to harness the same kind of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by julianne
    A Saab is considered a higher-end vehicle, and from their website, it appears that the 2005 models all come equipped with Onstar. Hopefully LE is looking into this? I know that you have to maintain a "subscription" for Onstar, but maybe they did???

This is a very good point, Julianne!! Does the Onstar work on the Onstar end, though, if the car is crashed and not working?

I do know that if the airbags have been deployed, then it WILL send a signal to Onstar saying so. But, I'm not sure if it's that way if the car is totaled

Just checked online, and they are still missing. Here's a quip from a news report:

Hastings said authorities are focused on the Gold Beach area where the family was scheduled to stay the night. Search efforts, however, have been hampered by heavy snowfall earlier in the week that blocked some of the roads.

So, there ARE some roads that were blocked off. Again, shades of the Stolpa story....

Praying this family is okay. I am on pins and needles.....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to julianne For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura

Prayers for this family.
    The road over to Gold Beach runs along the Rogue River, apparently in somewhat steep terrain and it was said to be somewhat treacherous. The local news has been airing the story frequently.

The news mentioned that it was an 8 hour drive from Portland to Gold Beach-
    http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband/#q2=....961191&mag=11

Odds are good that they went off the road along the way--they had apparently phoned the place they were going to stay (it was said at 5:45PM--it's dark at that time) and said they were running late for their check-in.

There is so much of Oregon to get lost in.

my wishes for them turning up safe and sound are out there.

It's been a week.

If it were just the two adults and they survived an accident, they might be found ok.

The babies worry me. A 4-yr-old and a 7-month-old. No food in the car, probably. I worry more about the 4-yr-old than the baby, b/c I bet this baby was still being breastfed or had formula in a bag. But then still...it's been a week.

They had stopped and had a breakfast/lunch, or maybe a brunch, with a friend in Portland?--they showed the place where they met to eat--it didn't look like much from the outside.

Depending on what time they left that restaurant, and based on the 5:45PM phone call, LE should have a good idea of the area they need to search. The name of the place they were supposed to stay was mentioned, but I don't recall the name. I would like to know exactly where it is located.

Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast