1909 Business Laws & other interesting things...

santos1014

Nana to Madelynn and Ethan
Reaction score
Website
profile.myspace.com
I collect antique books. I recently acquired a daybook from 1909. The first few pages are about emergencies and who the presidents have been. Then there is this. I found it interesting.

BUSINESS LAWS IN BRIEF

It is a fraud to conceal a fraud.
A note give by a minor is void.
Ignorance of the law excuses no one.
A contract made with a lunatic is void.
A contract made with a minor is invalid.
The acts of one partner bind all the others.
An agreement without consideration is void.
The law compels no one to do impossiblities.
Contracts made on Sunday cannot be enforced.
Signatures made in lead pencil are good in law
A receipt for money paid is not legally conclusive.

Funny how we should still apply some of these rules today..Specially #3.

santos...

That is fascinating! I LOVE antique books, always have, but unfortunately don't have any of my own. There is, however, a wonderful antique book shop here in town that I love to go just to look around...

Post more from your book if you can..I love it!

Wish I would have known THAT before paying a lawyer for my divorce! I could have just declared the marraige void!

It had rates of postage-

First Class .2 letters etc
Second class .1 newspapers, periodicals
Third class.1 books circulars
Fourth class .1 merchandise
Then it goes on to describe what each class is . for example:
First class-letters and all other written matter, sealed or unsealed. .2 for each ounce

Then there is legal holidays.
For my state of Texas the days were-Jan 1, Feb 22, March 22, April 21, June 3, July 4, 1st monday in Sept. Dec. 25, days of fasting and Thanksgiving and election day.

There is a page titled: HELP! IN CAS OF ACCIDENTS
Lightning- Dash cold water over a person struck
Tests of death- Hold mirror to mouth. If living, moisture will gather. Push pin into flesh. If dead, the hole will remain, if alive, it will close up.
Burns and scalds- Cover with cooking soda and lay wet cloths over it. Whites of eggs and olive oil.
Sunstroke- Loosen clothing. Get patient into shade and apply ice cold water to head.
Mad dog or snake bite- Tie cord tight above wound. Suck the wound and cauterize it with cautsin or white hot iron at once or cut out adjoining parts with a sharp knife.
Fainting- place flat on back; allow fresh air and sprinkle with water

There are some strange antidotes for poison, but the one that made me laugh was this one-
Chloroform, chloral or ether:
Dash cold water on head and chest. Artificial respiration. Piece of ice in rectum.

don't know about you, but that would surely revive me :crazy:

santos1014 said:
It had rates of postage-

First Class .2 letters etc
Second class .1 newspapers, periodicals
Third class.1 books circulars
Fourth class .1 merchandise
Then it goes on to describe what each class is . for example:
First class-letters and all other written matter, sealed or unsealed. .2 for each ounce

Then there is legal holidays.
For my state of Texas the days were-Jan 1, Feb 22, March 22, April 21, June 3, July 4, 1st monday in Sept. Dec. 25, days of fasting and Thanksgiving and election day.

There is a page titled: HELP! IN CAS OF ACCIDENTS
Lightning- Dash cold water over a person struck
Tests of death- Hold mirror to mouth. If living, moisture will gather. Push pin into flesh. If dead, the hole will remain, if alive, it will close up.
Burns and scalds- Cover with cooking soda and lay wet cloths over it. Whites of eggs and olive oil.
Sunstroke- Loosen clothing. Get patient into shade and apply ice cold water to head.
Mad dog or snake bite- Tie cord tight above wound. Suck the wound and cauterize it with cautsin or white hot iron at once or cut out adjoining parts with a sharp knife.
Fainting- place flat on back; allow fresh air and sprinkle with water

There are some strange antidotes for poison, but the one that made me laugh was this one-
Chloroform, chloral or ether:
Dash cold water on head and chest. Artificial respiration. Piece of ice in rectum.

don't know about you, but that would surely revive me :crazy:

Omg *mental image* ROFFLEWAFFLE!

santos1014 said:
I'd BETTER be dead if you're pushing pins into me! Ouch!

And don't even think about sticking ice anywhere...

santos1014 said:
Contracts made on Sunday cannot be enforced.
Signatures made in lead pencil are good in law

Funny how we should still apply some of these rules today..Specially #3.
Except for the 2 laws above, I have actually been taught all of those rules in law school. Honest!

Sunday would no longer apply, and there are some old WI laws that only allow deeds to be signed in black ink - so lead pencil would not be acceptable. All the rest were still good law. :)

GlitchWizard said:

Wish I would have known THAT before paying a lawyer for my divorce! I could have just declared the marraige void!
Glitch, were you once married to my ex??
biggrin.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back