FL FL - Bryan Dos Santos Gomes, 29 days, Estero/Fort Myers, 1 Dec 2006

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- Authorities searched Saturday for a newborn baby after he and his mother were abducted by a knife-wielding woman in a sport utility vehicle, police said.

The baby, Brayn Dos Santos Gomes, was abducted with his mother, Maria Fatima Ramos Dos Santos, on Friday afternoon by a woman driving a black SUV, Fort Myers Police Chief Hilton Daniels said.

Ramos was released south of Fort Myers shortly afterward but the woman kept the baby, Florida Department of Law Enforcement spokesman Larry Long said Saturday.

Police believed the woman could be heading to Miami or Tampa in the dark-colored, two-door SUV, which has window tint that is peeling, police said.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FL_MOTHER_BABY_ABDUCTION_FLOL-?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

My gosh! I wonder how this person happened to run into the baby and mother? Did she know the mom? We don't have a lot of information. I wonder if the mom was forced out of the vehicle by knifepoint too. I sincerely hope the baby is found soon. I hope the woman really wanted a baby so that she won't hurt it.

Bobbisangel said:
My gosh! I wonder how this person happened to run into the baby and mother? Did she know the mom? We don't have a lot of information. I wonder if the mom was forced out of the vehicle by knifepoint too. I sincerely hope the baby is found soon. I hope the woman really wanted a baby so that she won't hurt it.
I am thinking another unstable woman that can't have a baby or lost a baby and the mother and child were in the wrong placeat the wrong time

Just about speechless here, had to retype this post several times.

Wonder if the kidnapper was another person who had been faking a pregnancy or had recently lost a baby similar to the kidnapper of Abigail Woods earlier this year-remember that case? Or like Bobbi Jo Stinnett who was murdered by a woman who had faked a pregnancy who had lured Bobbi Stinnett to meet with her under false pretenses.

I hope they find this woman's baby alive and well-and soon.

Edited to add links to the example cases I sited:
Abby Woods:
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43263&highlight=abby+woods

Bobbi Jo Stinnett:
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30430

I didn't even check all threads to see if this one was covered. Time is of the essence and I would want everyone to be aware if it were my child missing. I checked the project safekids website and didn't see this case posted. I had to do a search to verify if this is a true case. It appears to be, but I'm not web savvy. Please take a look, esp. if you live in the area in Florida where the baby was abducted.

Thanks!

Juju

Also, please keep thinking of Trenton Duckett and all the missing children out there.

http://codeamber.org/gomesfl/fl_1201_2003_amber_alert_gomez.html

Usually the madwoman takes only the baby, and leaves the mother behind. Sometimes the mother is killed in order to get to the baby to take it away and claim it as their own, but in most cases I know of the mother is left behind, alive or dead/dying. I wonder why the mother was also taken in this instance?

"I only have my baby, nothing else," Maria Fatima Ramos Dos Santos, 23, sobbed in Portuguese at Fort Myers police headquarters, a mother's tearful plea Saturday for the return of her month-old boy, Bryan Santos Gomes, abducted at knifepoint Friday.

"I have been waiting all night long but still my baby is not with me. I look out my windows hoping somebody will come back with my baby," she said, as the baby's father, Jurandir Gomes Costa, stood by her side.

For Dos Santos, the nightmare began Friday afternoon as she and a friend tried to help another woman who claimed she was lost and needed to get to the Pine Manor area of Fort Myers. They got in the woman's SUV and a short time later young Bryan was taken at knifepoint, and Dos Santos forced from the car in Estero, police said.

As a result, a team of 25 investigators are chasing leads trying to find her child, aware time is critical.

Since the kidnapping they have taken these steps:

• Completed interviews of victims and witnesses.

• Canvassed both the abduction site and the neighborhood where the baby's family live.

• Completed a door-to-door check of family's neighborhood for the infant.

• Worked at refining a composite sketch of the kidnapper

• Obtained a tape recorded message believed to have the kidnapper's voice.

• Issued an Amber Alert and all points bulletin on the kidnapper.

• Appealed to the public for assistance.

• Begun to develop a profile of the suspect.

From an investigative standpoint time is important, said Larry Long, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

"Time is always of the essence in abduction cases," he said.

In this case concern is more for the welfare of the baby, he said. A child this young is totally dependent on his caregiver, pediatricians said, needing frequent feedings and diaper changes.

Even as police try to prepare a sketch of the woman wanted in the kidnapping, they are getting a better feel for the suspect they are seeking.

"We're looking for someone who is very cunning," said Mike Carr, a sergeant with the Fort Myers Police Department. "She already had a baby seat, a diaper bag and no child. She was prepared to do this."

The suspect is described as a light-skinned woman, possibly Hispanic, between 28 and 30. She is about 5 feet, 4 inches tall with dark hair pulled back in a bun. She was last seen driving a late model SUV — possibly an Explorer or Blazer — with peeling window tint, police said.

Police had a computer generated composite of the suspect, but were not satisfied it was accurate, Carr said.

"We're trying to get a sketch prepared by a forensic artist," said.

That sketch will probably not be done before today, he said.

"Our number one goal is to get the baby back safely. Then to get the suspect," Carr said, flanked by representatives of the FBI and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

continued in next post.......

TEARFUL PLEA

Dos Santos, looking uncomfortable in the glare of television lights, continued a tearful plea to the kidnapper.

"Please return my baby," she said. "I suffer very much for my baby. It is getting dark again and my baby is still not here. Leave my baby with the firemen. Leave it at any firehouse."

Dos Santos described her terror when she first saw the knife in the kidnapper's car and realized what was happening.

"I thought when I saw the knife, this is a kidnapping. She is after my baby," she said.

Investigative supervisors from a specially trained Child Abduction Response Team continue to work at an off-site location, trying to put together what is known and farm out assignments to field investigators, authorities said.

Investigators are still trying to assess significance of the tape recording they believe holds the kidnapper's voice.

In an unusual turn of events, investigators were able to determine the kidnapper used the phone of one of the abducted women to make a telephone call. She pretended to call her mother, Carr said, but the call was actually made to an area business.

While the kidnapper pretended to have a conversation, an answering machine at the business recorded her voice.

Police did not release the name of the business and are still trying to determine if the number was a random dialing or a significant fact in the case, Carr said. The kidnapper called the number twice, but police cannot rule out the second call was through use of a redial button, he said.

Meanwhile, police are continuing to press canvasses in the Pine Minor neighborhood, where the kidnapper had originally asked to go, he said.

Carr said he does not believe there is any connection between the victimized women and the kidnapper.

One theory is the kidnapper could be a woman who was recently pregnant and may have lost her baby, police said.

"I think she was a victim of opportunity," Carr said of Dos Santos.

He said there was no indication either woman put up a fight with the abductor.

Speaking of the abducted child's mother, Carr said: "I think she was just scared to death."

Janice Duarte, 22, along with her 8-month-old, also had been abducted, but she managed to escape with her child.

She is helping by handing out Amber Alert fliers, she said.

She said she will now be less trusting of others.

"I will be very apprehensive," she said through an interpreter.

HELP FROM OTHERS

In addition to the task force investigators, police are also being aided by personnel from the Center for Missing and Exploited Children and church groups, Carr said

"Two women, who speak Portuguese, are going to be distributing fliers in both Tampa and Miami through their church groups," Carr said. "This is the kind of help that can make a difference."

He expressed hope publicity might generate the call investigators need to put together the case.

"We believe we have someone who was looking for a young baby and found a young baby," he said. "We hope someone will call and say they know someone who suddenly has a new baby."

That scenario also bodes well for the safety of the child.

"In virtually all cases with very young babies the child is found alive and reunited with his parents," said Bryant Harper, founder of CodeAmber.org, a group helping Fort Myers police.

With a baby this young, the child also will need proper care, doctors said.

"With a (month-old) baby, (there) is very little they are capable of doing," said Dr. Yanet Rios, a pediatrician at the Pediatric Hospital of the Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida. "In terms of milestones, they may be able to raise their head slightly, but they cannot recognize faces."

The infant also would require frequent feeding with either formula or breast milk and have a diaper change at least four to six times a day, she said.

In addition, infants have trouble controlling their body temperatures and risk dehydration if not properly cared for, Rios said. This baby would not have received his immunization shots, she said, and also would be prone to infection.

Although police were tight-lipped about the possible whereabouts of their suspect, Carr said Miami was mentioned as a destination because of the kidnapper's southbound direction of travel.

"It was speculation based on what we knew at the time," he said.

MORE DETAIL

The events preceding the kidnapping also were explained in greater detail.

Police now believe the women were targets of opportunity, spotted by a kidnapper prepared to abduct the first available baby, authorities said.

Through interviews investigators now surmise the victims first encountered their kidnapper as they waited for a bus and the kidnapper asked for directions. After getting directions, the kidnapper drove off and the women and their babies boarded a bus which dropped them at Cleveland and Linhart avenues, Carr said.

"At that point the same black SUV turned around and approached them again, asking for better directions," he said. "We believe they were offered money if they would get in the car and show her where Pine Manor was."

Carr said there had been a similar abduction in DeSoto County "about eight months ago," but that suspect was still in custody.

He said he can only remember three or four such cases in his 28 years with the Fort Myers Police Department.

— The News-Press staff writer Jamie Page contributed to this report.

http://news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061203/NEWS01/612030388/1075

It is getting to the point where I feel like I should start apologizing for the numerous reports coming in from Florida.

juju, I live in the area where this baby is missing from. I have not heard a thing today. We were doing some Christmas shopping and there were fliers posted everywhere. I pray that they find him soon!!!!

Okay, I can't get my link to work above, for the NCMEC poster. :confused:

More information at this link, though they have his name totally misspelled.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,233998,00.html

The mother and Brayn, as well as another woman and a baby, were approached by the woman in the SUV while walking along a road Friday, police said. The driver asked for directions to a neighborhood. The women, who did not know the driver, agreed to give directions and entered the vehicle with their children, police said.

The women showed the driver the neighborhood, and she drove the two mothers and children back toward where she picked them up, police said. The driver then forced one mother and child out of the car, and made off with Ramos and the baby, who was born Nov. 3, police said.

SewingDeb said:
More information at this link, though they have his name totally misspelled.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,233998,00.html

The mother and Brayn, as well as another woman and a baby, were approached by the woman in the SUV while walking along a road Friday, police said. The driver asked for directions to a neighborhood. The women, who did not know the driver, agreed to give directions and entered the vehicle with their children, police said.

The women showed the driver the neighborhood, and she drove the two mothers and children back toward where she picked them up, police said. The driver then forced one mother and child out of the car, and made off with Ramos and the baby, who was born Nov. 3, police said.

What a sad story! That is crazy, however, to get into anyone's car if you don't know them. I tell you, after having kids, I just don't take those kind of chances anymore!

The really sad part is that you can't help anyone anymore! There a lady who came to my door to use the phone (her car died). This was the week after the baby abduction where the abductor cut the baby's mother's throat and took the baby (was it Ohio?) I kept my screen locked and handed this lady the phone to use outside. I felt rude, but you never know!

I just pray that this child is found soon and safe!

Thanks for keeping me posted on the info!

Is there anything new on this little baby? I am surprised I haven't heard more about him.

laini said:
Is there anything new on this little baby? I am surprised I haven't heard more about him.

The Amber Alert is still active for him.

Thanks. I am so puzzled by this story. It seems it hasn't gotten the attention or interest that other recent baby abductions have. I wonder why.

laini said:
Thanks. I am so puzzled by this story. It seems it hasn't gotten the attention or interest that other recent baby abductions have. I wonder why.
This was on NG the other night. Something about the story didn't sit right with a lot of Nancy's guest...She got really cr*ppy with them because they were questioning Moms possible involvement.The mother got into the vehicle with this woman who abducted the child and rode around for about an hour with her (giving directions?) If crazy women would stop harming their children we could sympathize instead of accuse right off the bat!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back