1131 users online (195 members and 936 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 223
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    394

    Read this and tell me the Ramseys aren't hiding something ...

    This is cooperation from parents who wanted justice for their murdered daughter? Oh yeah. I forgot. They said they weren't angry at whomever killed "that child." They only got angry when they were asked to cooperate with the investigation.


    http://abcnews.go.com/onair/GoodMorn...et_trans2.html

    NEW YORK, April 11 - What follows is a transcript of Thomas' interview with ABCNEWS' Elizabeth Vargas.

    ABCNEWS' Elizabeth Vargas: In the Ramseys' own book, which came out a couple of weeks ago, they have a chapter in there called "A Chronicle of Cooperation", where they say, 'We talked to the police the 26th, the 27th, the 28th. We gave them long interviews, we gave them handwriting samples, DNA samples, pubic hair samples. We gave them everything they wanted.'

    Steven Thomas: Their assertion now that they cooperated fully with this investigation, I find absurd. We had to wait four months before we could interview these people surrounding-and ask questions face to face surrounding the death of their daughter.

    Vargas: What do they mean then when they say, 'We talked to police on the 26th, and on the 27th, and on the 28th?'

    Thomas: On the 26th they certainly did talk to us during the kidnapping phase of this thing. On the night of the 27th, there was this limited brief exchange, which I guess they're characterizing as an interview, when in fact the detectives were there to arrange an interview.

    Vargas: (VO) as for that physical evidence, what they call non-testimonial evidence, by Colorado law, the police can easily demand samples of handwriting, blood, DNA.

    Thomas: They had no choice but to cooperate with the non-testimonial evidence, because in a snap we could have gotten that through a simple affidavit. But what we couldn't make them do was answer questions. Yeah, they gave us blood, gave us handwriting, gave us hair, but when the case was red hot, when we needed the parents the most in those early critical days, we had to wait four months to be able to ask them the most elementary of questions.

    Vargas: You say in the book as well that when the Ramseys did agree to sit down and talk to you, there were several conditions attached. What were they?

    Thomas: We did have these conditions that were just not acceptable. Which detective would do the interviewing, who would be in the room, a doctor, the attorneys, the forum and time that the questioning would continue, and Patsy's I think was not to exceed an hour. And the FBI, said 'This is absurd. You cannot interview people under these conditions.' So, again, when they say, 'We offered to come in', it was with this incredible set of parameters that were just not acceptable to a police department.

    Vargas: (VO) The Ramsey legal team wanted a deal. They asked for materials rarely given to suspects in a crime & including John and Patsy's prior statements, copies of the autopsy report and the ransom note, and police reports. Thomas says the Ramseys made it clear that if, and only if, they got what they wanted would the Ramseys sit down for a formal interview.

    Vargas: But if you really wanted the information, what's wrong with agreeing to some of those conditions? Does that compromise you in some way? Does that give them too much of an advantage?

    Thomas: Well, I'll tell you, advantage, what do you mean advantage? When the DA's Office was shoveling by the wheelbarrow full, our case file to Team Ramsey. Yeah, you talk about an advantage. somebody that the police wanted to question, I think I would be hard pressed to say, "Hey, detective, I'll answer your questions, but let me take a look at your case file there, before I answer". Believe me, a poor kid killed in the projects, a blue-collar working stiff, you know, a guy who's a carpenter or a welder out there, are not afforded these concessions that kept being made to the Ramseys, that's not what I would characterize as their chronicle of cooperation.

    Vargas: (VO) The district attorney made a deal. The police were forced to turn over the documents.

    Thomas: The Ramsey experts got to come into the police department and review evidence. They got to look at the ligature and the garrote. They came in and did studies of the ransom note. We were handing over photographs of evidence, including sensitive ransom note information. And at one point I told the police department, I told my supervisor. I said, 'I am not going to participate in this.' I said, 'I want my refusal duly noted.'

    Vargas: (VO) We contacted several experts in general police and investigative procedures-they say these concessions made to the Ramseys were highly unusual. Finally, on April 30th, 1997, Steve Thomas sat down in a conference room at the district attorney's office. With Patsy were her attorney and the Ramsey's own private investigator. Thomas claims the entire interview was undermined. He says the police would now question intelligent, well-coached suspects who could study for their interviews as if preparing for a high school test.

    (Thanks to Peggy Lakin, author of "Journey Beyond Reason" for bringing this interview to the public's attention once again.)


    IMO

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    968
    They were indeed cooperating and even during the non-testimonial stuff answered all questions put to them. They wanted to meet with the BPD, it was the BPD that refused. Patsy couldn't get to the bathroom without assistance and they wanted her to come down to police headquarters. how foolish is that?
    meanwhile the Ramseys were talking to other investigators who were not the overly fanaticized BPD. They talked to DA investigators too, during this period I believe.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Toth
    Patsy couldn't get to the bathroom without assistance and they wanted her to come down to police headquarters.
    So Patsy didn't go to the bathroom for FOUR MONTHS??? Gee, no wonder she's so fat now!...LOL

    Sorry Toth, but only GUILTY parents of a murdered child act like the Ramseys. Innocent parents, like the Van Damms, are relentless in doing anything they can to find the guilty person. They don't stick their head in the sand and make conditional demands before they will talk to the police.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Shylock
    So Patsy didn't go to the bathroom for FOUR MONTHS??? Gee, no wonder she's so fat now!...LOL

    Sorry Toth, but only GUILTY parents of a murdered child act like the Ramseys. Innocent parents, like the Van Damms, are relentless in doing anything they can to find the guilty person. They don't stick their head in the sand and make conditional demands before they will talk to the police.
    That's right Shylock. The Ramseys are liars if they claim the police "didn't want to talk to them." Baloney. The police desperately wanted to talk with them - the Ramseys wouldn't do it. They listed all kinds of "conditions" before they'd agree to meet with the police - and when the FBI heard about it they told the Boulder Police to absolutely NOT agree to those kinds of ridiculous conditions. And mind you - this was still FOUR MONTHS after JonBenet was murdered. FOUR MONTHS.
    The parents had every opportunity to walk right up to the police station and talk with the police. It is what all innocent parents with nothing to hide of murdered children do. They HOUND the police. They beg to know what they've found out. They do not care one iota that the police might suspect them - (Ask John and Reeve Walsh and Mark Klass....) Because they know they are innocent and have nothing to hide - they are EAGER to cooperate with the police.
    The Ramseys called lawyers from day one - and very possibly before they ever even placed that 911 call.
    They tried to flee the state only a half an hour after finding their daughter dead and cold body.
    They NEVER asked questions of the police or other authorities: "How did she die?" "What happened?" "What do you know?"

    It is inexcusable how they conducted themselves in the days (and then months and then years) after JonBenet was killed.
    They can't speak with the police because they are "too distraught" - but by golly they can go on national television (CNN) the DAY AFTER they bury JonBenet and talk.
    And they wonder why people don't believe them....
    This post is my opinion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by K777angel
    That's right Shylock. The Ramseys are liars if they claim the police "didn't want to talk to them." Baloney. The police desperately wanted to talk with them - the Ramseys wouldn't do it. They listed all kinds of "conditions" before they'd agree to meet with the police - and when the FBI heard about it they told the Boulder Police to absolutely NOT agree to those kinds of ridiculous conditions. And mind you - this was still FOUR MONTHS after JonBenet was murdered. FOUR MONTHS.
    The parents had every opportunity to walk right up to the police station and talk with the police. It is what all innocent parents with nothing to hide of murdered children do. They HOUND the police. They beg to know what they've found out. They do not care one iota that the police might suspect them - (Ask John and Reeve Walsh and Mark Klass....) Because they know they are innocent and have nothing to hide - they are EAGER to cooperate with the police.
    The Ramseys called lawyers from day one - and very possibly before they ever even placed that 911 call.
    They tried to flee the state only a half an hour after finding their daughter dead and cold body.
    They NEVER asked questions of the police or other authorities: "How did she die?" "What happened?" "What do you know?"

    It is inexcusable how they conducted themselves in the days (and then months and then years) after JonBenet was killed.
    They can't speak with the police because they are "too distraught" - but by golly they can go on national television (CNN) the DAY AFTER they bury JonBenet and talk.
    And they wonder why people don't believe them....

    Very good points! K777Angel! Oh yeah, Patsy couldn't even go to the bathroom without help, but she could give a CNN interview without assistance, couldn't she?
    It really amazed me that John was making arrangements to fly to Atlanta while his brutally murdered daughter was lying in their living room by the Christmas tree. What was he going to do? Leave her there alone? An innocent parent would do that? Sorry Ram's, your money isn't good enough for me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas panhandle
    Posts
    411
    It didn't seem to bother Patsy to go storming into the Boulder police station to take up for their buddy Pasta Joe on February 9th. And she didn't ever seem to be unable to join in the fun of their trick playing on the media. Guess we all pick and choose when we are "unable to cope" with things.
    This is only my personal opinion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,795
    PMPT ppbk. p. 499:

    The police then mentioned the Ramseys' behavior immediately after the body was found: the fact that John Ramsey was ready to fly to Atlanta with his wife and son and leave his daughter's body - and the investigation into her murder - behind; the refusal to cooperate with the police; and the hiring of criminal attorneys. In reply, the FBI pointed out that no two people respond to trauma and grief the same way, and that the police should not overanalyze what they had observed. Most of the time, the parents of a victim are all over the police. "Why the hell haven't you caught my child's killer?" "What's going on? I want to know everything." In this case, the police had to acknowledge that it was their own commander's actions that led to the long postponement of the parents' interviews.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,053

    Eller

    I agree it was Commander John Eller who set the tone for the mistakes that soon followed on that first day. Eller wanted his detectives to cut the Ramseys some slack because of the Ramseys prominence in the community. As a consequence the cops on the scene violated some cardinal rules, such as not immediately separating John and Patsy and getting detailed indepenent statements from each of them, locking them into what they each perceived happened. The contradictions that would have likely gushed out between the two of them might have solved the case all by itself on that first day.

    JMO

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by tipper
    PMPT ppbk. p. 499:

    The police then mentioned the Ramseys' behavior immediately after the body was found: the fact that John Ramsey was ready to fly to Atlanta with his wife and son and leave his daughter's body - and the investigation into her murder - behind; the refusal to cooperate with the police; and the hiring of criminal attorneys. In reply, the FBI pointed out that no two people respond to trauma and grief the same way, and that the police should not overanalyze what they had observed. Most of the time, the parents of a victim are all over the police. "Why the hell haven't you caught my child's killer?" "What's going on? I want to know everything." In this case, the police had to acknowledge that it was their own commander's actions that led to the long postponement of the parents' interviews.
    The "no two people react the same" sword cuts both ways. As separate individuals with separate lawyers, at any point John could have gone to police while Patsy refused, or Patsy could have gone to police while John refused. Yet, while no two people react the same, we are expected to accomodate the identical reactions of two different people, both of whom just coincidentally have the same reaction as each other of not wanting to be interviewed?

    Let us acknowledge this fact: there was never any, ANY, reason for John to have put off being interviewed formally, on tape, by the Boulder police investigators. He was healthy, he was in control of his mental facilities, he had his own legal representation to protect his interests, he was signing sophisticated and complex legal documents whose validity would have been compromised if he was not capable of understanding them.

    In my constitutionally-protected opinion, it is true that, even if Patsy is to be given a pass, there is no defense for the fact that John Ramsey refused to cooperate with police at points when he was fully physically, mentally, and legally capable of doing so.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    394
    Shylock and K777Angel have already stated it well.

    The Ramseys set CONDITIONS and dictated WHEN they would condescend to even speak with police regarding what they knew.

    What innocent loving parents would care about terms and conditions and wait FOUR MONTHS until being interviewed by LE? And even then, the meeting was only held under terms DICTATED by the Ramseys.

    And don't give me that line of bull that the poor Ramseys were suspects so they had every right to act as they did.

    The Van Dams were initially suspects until they cooperated with police and helped the investigation move on. They certainly didn't set terms and conditions on when they would speak with police.

    Name ONE innocent parent of a missing or murdered child WHO SET CONDITIONS ON THEIR COOPERATION WITH POLICE. Just one. Did Marc Klass? John Walsh? Samantha Runnion's parents? (If you remember, her biological father was a suspect until he cooperated and was cleared by police.)

    Name ONE innocent parent of a murdered child who tried to leave the state LESS THAN ONE HOUR after their child's body was found.

    Name ONE innocent parent who could not be bothered to answer police questions but could go on CNN less than a week later, and say THEY WEREN'T ANGRY AT WHOMEVER KILLED THEIR CHILD, and they just wanted to get on with their lives.

    The Ramseys only agreed to questioning AFTER they knew the questions and had rehearsed their lines. The Ramseys only agreed to cooperate AFTER their lawyers had seen most of the evidence and coached their answers.

    Here is the cold hard truth. Liars evade questioning. Liars have selective memory. Liars blame everyone but themselves when they are caught in the lie.

    The Ramseys are lying about what happened Christmas night.


    IMO


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by K777angel
    That's right Shylock. The Ramseys are liars if they claim the police "didn't want to talk to them." Baloney. The police desperately wanted to talk with them - the Ramseys wouldn't do it. They listed all kinds of "conditions" before they'd agree to meet with the police - and when the FBI heard about it they told the Boulder Police to absolutely NOT agree to those kinds of ridiculous conditions. And mind you - this was still FOUR MONTHS after JonBenet was murdered. FOUR MONTHS.
    The parents had every opportunity to walk right up to the police station and talk with the police. It is what all innocent parents with nothing to hide of murdered children do. They HOUND the police. They beg to know what they've found out. They do not care one iota that the police might suspect them - (Ask John and Reeve Walsh and Mark Klass....) Because they know they are innocent and have nothing to hide - they are EAGER to cooperate with the police.
    The Ramseys called lawyers from day one - and very possibly before they ever even placed that 911 call.
    They tried to flee the state only a half an hour after finding their daughter dead and cold body.
    They NEVER asked questions of the police or other authorities: "How did she die?" "What happened?" "What do you know?"

    It is inexcusable how they conducted themselves in the days (and then months and then years) after JonBenet was killed.
    They can't speak with the police because they are "too distraught" - but by golly they can go on national television (CNN) the DAY AFTER they bury JonBenet and talk.
    And they wonder why people don't believe them....
    Excellent K777angel! You have said it all. The Ramseys are the only parents in history to deal with the police the way they did. The ONLY ones. So far, nobody has been able to give us any other parents of a victim who have made demands on the investigative forces working to solve their child's murder, despite the numerous requests.

    Don't believe for one minute that anyone "wonders" why people don't believe them. They know damn well why people don't believe them. They have said it themselves several times that they have "made mistakes" and "we would have done some things differently", blah, blah, so when people say they can't understand why people are suspicious, they are blatantly lying
    This is my opinion only
    This post may not be copied to any other forum

    God Bless America

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara
    they are blatantly lying
    I doubt that. I can't understand why anyone ever suspected the parents. I surely can't understand why anyone suspects them now.
    As to talking to the police, it was the Ramsey attorneys who advised against it, but the Ramseys insisted that their attorneys arrange a meeting.
    And if you want to go read PMPT turn to p.499, and then see who it was who refused to allow any meetings to take place for four months!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Toth
    I doubt that. I can't understand why anyone ever suspected the parents. I surely can't understand why anyone suspects them now.
    It was true then and it is true now; more than 99% of children murdered in their own homes have been killed by the people who live in that home. You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of children who have been killed by intruders in the child's own home while everyone else in the house has been left alive, and in all of those extremely rare cases, the intruder entered through a bedroom window, moved no more than a few feet to the child, killed it and left the child in the bedroom while leaving again through the same window. It would be stupidity in the extreme for anyone to have approached the Ramsey crime scene while ignoring the whole of history in the process.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    5

    Toth

    You are entitled to your opinion, as are the rest of us. It is assumed that you are somehow connected to the Ramseys, given your refusal to grasp why others view their behavior as "hinky". For some of us, many actually, self-preservation takes a back seat to our love for our children. I would question this behavior following the death of a child if it were my very best friend or a family member. I don't hate the Ramseys because they were wealthy but I do resent the fact that they were given concessions that a less wealthy, connected family would have been given in the same situation. Why would parents of a murdered child need to view their previous statements before being interviewed by the police?? What could possibly be gained by that except making sure their stories didn't change? If they knew nothing of what happened to their daughter, this would not have been considered necessary. It's true that we all behave differently in times of crisis but there really is no good explanation for their reluctance to be interviewed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Toth
    .... As to talking to the police, it was the Ramsey attorneys who advised against it, but the Ramseys insisted that their attorneys arrange a meeting.

    Like I said before ... "Liars blame everyone but themselves when they are caught in the lie."

    So the Ramseys and (the RST) blame their attorneys for making them look bad. Oh poor Ramseys. What a bunch of bull.

    Oh yeah the Ramseys insisted their attorneys arrange a meeting ... DICTATED UNDER THEIR OWN TERMS AND CONDITIONS THAT THEY KNEW WOULD BE UNACCEPTABLE TO COMPETENT LAW ENFORCEMENT.

    No amount of spin can change the facts. No attorney could have kept the Ramseys from cooperating with the investigation IF THE RAMSEYS HAD WANTED TO COOPERATE.

    The Ramseys refused to answer questions for over one third of a year. Think about it. Their child is allegedly murdered by an intruder, and they held out THAT LONG before they would meet with LE. Then, when they were finally interviewed (under their own terms) the Ramseys hedged, and conveniently "forgot" or "didn't know," and got indignant that they were asked to cooperate.

    Their own lies convict them.




    IMO

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast