CO - 2-MONTH-Old Had Blood-Alcohol Level Of 0.364

ajc2804

Reaction score
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- An investigation is under way into how a toddler girl wound up with so much alcohol in her that she'd be more than four times over the limit for drunken driving.

The 2-year-old is in a Colorado hospital's intensive care unit, where officials said she was brought in with a blood-alcohol level of .364 percent. It only has to be .08 for a person to be legally drunk.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/10458945/detail.html

What in the world happened here? Poor thing. I hope she's able to pull through. A blood alcohol level of .35 can be enough to kill an adult!!

My ex left drinks out after parties at his place, and when my daughter visited she would sometimes taste them the next morning....she was only 5 at the time. :behindbar

I'm thinking the alcohol had to be in something that hid the taste for her to ingest that much. (like orange juice/vodka) Of course, she is a child, so maybe you don't have to drink that much to get a high level in your blood?

This makes me so sick.

I truly hope this child will be allright, and if she does survive I hope she is removed from her parents custody and put with a family that will not leave alcohol around so that she can get into. Also if she does survive , is there a chance that there will be some brain or liver damage from so much alcohol ?:behindbar

This story is serious neglect,imo.:doh:

Maybe an unlocked liquor cabinet? I know so many people who leave their liquor unlocked, in low cabinets, etc. i do not have a liquor cabinet but our goes on the top shelf in the pantry behind stuff in the back. By the time a little one goes through all the trouble to get it you already hear the ruckus. If you take the time to lock your cabinet with cleaning supplies do the same with your alcohol.

No kdding a locked cabinet is a must with any kids in the house from toddlers to teenagers.

Plus too many kids emulate parents when it comes to drinking......you know, I need a drink after work to relax, another one before dinner, wine during dinner, a drink after dinner, a nightcap, that kind of thing.

Then the kids want to be like Mom and Dad, no surprise....or people are blase about booze and kids......thinkng that "just a bit is harmless" and a a bit turns into more, the kids get together........my Mom let me.........

People do not see booze as the drug that it is..........

Reread the article, they must have had the age wrong. It's a two month old!

I hope they find out whose responsible, It makes me sick!

Baby appears to be ok. I hope there won't be any long term effects.

It probably wouldn't take much alcohol in such a small body to raise the blood-alcohol level so high.

Baby Given Alcohol
Reporter: Katherine Cook
A 2-month old baby who was taken to a Colorado Springs hospital drunk, is expected to be okay. 19-year old Sarah Smith says she accidentally gave her daughter Kristina 3 ounces of vodka mixed with baby formula. She says she got the alcohol from her husband's water bottle which actually contained vodka. Smith says it happened Saturday night when she and her boyfriend went to the store to buy diapers. She says she and the baby waited in the car, Kristina got fussy and that's when she made the bottle. A few hours later, Smith says Kristina started to act strange so they the baby to the hospital. Police say the infant had a blood alcohol level, more than 4 times the legal limit for an adult driver. The baby is now in the custody of the Department of Human Services. Smith says she's trying to have the baby placed in the care of close family friends.
--->>

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/4822596.html

My guess would be that alcohol is a serious problem for this entire family group, and needs to be addressed post haste.

Seems fishy to me. For one it sounds like alcohol issues to have it in a water bottle in the car. Surely she should know if her boyfriend drinks often. I would think she would be suspicious. Secondly, wouldn't he notice that she made the baby a bottle and part of his vodka was missing when he came back out of the store? IF it was a mistake its obvious to me they were hoping she would be okay and realized when she was so drunk that they needed to take her in.

Hopefully the baby will be in better care now.

Taximom said:
My ex left drinks out after parties at his place, and when my daughter visited she would sometimes taste them the next morning....she was only 5 at the time. :behindbar

I'm thinking the alcohol had to be in something that hid the taste for her to ingest that much. (like orange juice/vodka) Of course, she is a child, so maybe you don't have to drink that much to get a high level in your blood?

This makes me so sick.

I'll bet the boyfriend (husband?) had something to do with this since he dropped the mother and child at the hospital and took off. One article I read said they are focusing on the mother since her story has changed several times.

So this loving mother cares enough for her little baby to bring dry formula along, but forgets the water? :confused:

Maybe they just bought the formula at the store at which time they should have bought some water or raced home to feed the baby. The story sounds hinky to me. Not that my hinky meter works all that well!

I guess it could be true that the mother didn't know the guy had alcohol in his water bottle.

That poor baby. All I can think of is that at least she only had to spend two months with these morons pretending to be parents.:furious:

Taximom said:
So this loving mother cares enough for her little baby to bring dry formula along, but forgets the water? :confused:

Maybe they just bought the formula at the store at which time they should have bought some water or raced home to feed the baby. The story sounds hinky to me. Not that my hinky meter works all that well!

I guess it could be true that the mother didn't know the guy had alcohol in his water bottle.

That poor baby. All I can think of is that at least she only had to spend two months with these morons pretending to be parents.:furious:
Not defending her, she did something really stupid, but it may have been an accident. How many of us when we were babies forgot stuff at home? I have had to stop and buy wipes and diapers b/c I left home with out them and teh same with formula. It can happen in those 1st months when you are so tired and trying to adjust to this new life you have.

2sisters said:
Not defending her, she did something really stupid, but it may have been an accident. How many of us when we were babies forgot stuff at home? I have had to stop and buy wipes and diapers b/c I left home with out them and teh same with formula. It can happen in those 1st months when you are so tired and trying to adjust to this new life you have.
While I agree that there are likely alcoholism issues in this family (my Dad, an alcoholic, used to keep a bottle of vodka in his car), this could well have been an accident and I am willing to give the mother the benefit of the doubt. I am sure she is mortified and I am so happy that the baby is going to be okay.

As you point out, there's a lot to remember with a young baby when you are sleep-deprived and adjusting to a new life. It's easy to forget baby stuff. I am a good mother and there are times I remembered to take the dry formula but forgot to take the water along.

Also - and I've mentioned this here before - once when I was pregnant and spacey and tired, I accidentally fed my dog's phenobarbitol to my 18-month old son. So I have some experience with accidents that could cause harm to a child. I'm so glad no one tried to take my child away after that. I felt bad enough as it was...

I took off once with my 3 year old in the car and my 2 week old buckled in the car seat on my driveway. I only got a few houses down when I realized she was sitting in her car seat in the driveway. It is an exhausting time. It could have happened the way this mother said. Bad judgment on BF's part - vodka in a water bottle while in a car - doesn't look good but we don't know for sure that it is SOP or that the mom is terrible. Thank God baby's ok.

Eve

The good Lord must have a purpose for this baby's life because it seems to me it should have died with that much poison in its system. I've heard of teenagers who have gotten toxic from drinking that much alcohol and died.

Nancy Grace had this story on her show tonight. I think they are charging the mother. I think I would be looking at the father as it was him that had the vodka in the car.....in a water bottle and then he drops the mom and baby off at the hospital and didn't even go in with them. What an azz.

The mom might not have been aware that the water bottle had vodka in it if the father is an alcoholic and hids his booze/amount that he drinks from the mother....like putting vodka in a water bottle which wouldn't smell and she wouldn't know that he was actually drinking vodka. It seems that if she was trying to get the baby to stop crying or go to sleep she wouldn't have given it that much vodka. It really might have been an honest mistake that the father figured out right away....and took off!

It's good though that the baby is in state custody until this whole thing is figured out. I do have to admit that the mom looks like one rough gal. I guess they live with friends off and on and in their vehicle off and on. Not a great life for a baby.

eve said:
I took off once with my 3 year old in the car and my 2 week old buckled in the car seat on my driveway. I only got a few houses down when I realized she was sitting in her car seat in the driveway. It is an exhausting time. It could have happened the way this mother said. Bad judgment on BF's part - vodka in a water bottle while in a car - doesn't look good but we don't know for sure that it is SOP or that the mom is terrible. Thank God baby's ok.

Eve
OMG I was always so afraid of doing that, I always checked and rechecked. I always had theis mental picutre of leaving the infant carrier in the buggy at walmart and driving off and some pervert stealing my child. I never did that of course but it was a fear of mine. It is just exhausting to have this new little life that depends on you, you are tired, not used to being sleep deprived, and it is alot ot remember.
I am thinking though, why didn't she notice a differnt smell. Formula has a strong odor (at least the one I use does) mixed with alcohol I would think it would stink more. i don't have any vodka here, I though about maybe mixing it with formula to smell it.

Even if it was a mistake, I think the baby is better off in foster care. If the mother is careless enough to give her a bottle of vodka in the first place, and the father is careless enough to leave a water bottle full of vodka laying around (give me a break), then maybe the infant is better off in more capable hands. What happens when there is the girl is two and drinks from daddy's water bottle, which just happens to be full of vodka? Or when she's in high school and has learned how to hide your alcoholism by hiding liquor in other containers?

And who puts booze into another container like that? The only time I've seen that is when kids take alcohol to ballgames, trying to get away with it. I had a boy with a Sprite bottle full of vodka in my class once. He was so drunk he couldn't walk across the room.

I "was changing channels" by I recall NG sying that this family was living in their car.

I don't think that this was "the innocent" accident that it appears to be.

I just don't get that vibe and from looking at the picture of the Mom, I feel that somehow drugs and or booze are involved.

Also did the Dad, not just drop off the Mom at the Hospital and drive away.

The Vodka did not get into the water bottle by accident............

Bobbisangel said:
The good Lord must have a purpose for this baby's life because it seems to me it should have died with that much poison in its system. I've heard of teenagers who have gotten toxic from drinking that much alcohol and died.

Nancy Grace had this story on her show tonight. I think they are charging the mother. I think I would be looking at the father as it was him that had the vodka in the car.....in a water bottle and then he drops the mom and baby off at the hospital and didn't even go in with them. What an azz.

The mom might not have been aware that the water bottle had vodka in it if the father is an alcoholic and hids his booze/amount that he drinks from the mother....like putting vodka in a water bottle which wouldn't smell and she wouldn't know that he was actually drinking vodka. It seems that if she was trying to get the baby to stop crying or go to sleep she wouldn't have given it that much vodka. It really might have been an honest mistake that the father figured out right away....and took off!

It's good though that the baby is in state custody until this whole thing is figured out. I do have to admit that the mom looks like one rough gal. I guess they live with friends off and on and in their vehicle off and on. Not a great life for a baby.

I absolutely have to yell it's incorrect to believe vodka doesn't smell - unless i have some weirdly heightened sense for smelling alcohol? it stinks! the only thing hidden about it is the colour.

I find it hard to believe that the baby would ingest enough to get such a high alcohol level. Even if it was mixed with powdered formula, wouldn't you expect the vodka to burn like fire as it went down the baby's throat? You would think that the baby would take one gulp of that stuff and then refuse the rest. Although if the baby was super hungry, maybe she just kept drinking even if it was very uncomfortable? Very strange, in any case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back