GUILTY MD - Elijah Cozart, 3, dragged to death in hit & run, Baltimore, 1 Dec 2006

I have been watching this on our local news because this is very close to where we live and I cannot believe what I have been hearing. She says she did not go to the police because she suffered amnesia. Also she said that she had to get home to her kids, well what about the child under her freaking truck! I swear this stuff gets me fired up. How in the hell did she pull over and pull out the stroller, toss it to the side and then go home. Also when the paramedics got to the boy he was gasping for air. She should get some serious time out of this.

michelle said:
I have been watching this on our local news because this is very close to where we live and I cannot believe what I have been hearing. She says she did not go to the police because she suffered amnesia. Also she said that she had to get home to her kids, well what about the child under her freaking truck! I swear this stuff gets me fired up. How in the hell did she pull over and pull out the stroller, toss it to the side and then go home. Also when the paramedics got to the boy he was gasping for air. She should get some serious time out of this.

I hope she does get more charges and some serious time. They shouldn't let her have bail at all if she is this cold and callous. She didn't even look for the baby from what I have read.

I'm finding it exceedingly hard to parse this bit from the article:

Baltimore Sun said:
Webster, the prosecutor, told the judge today that auto manslaughter charges might be filed "down the road."
:confused: Huh?! MIGHT?! ... Down the road?! ... That's not right, let me reread. No, that's what it said. :banghead: Auto manslaughter charges should already have been filed. :furious:

SewingDeb said:
I hope she does get more charges and some serious time. They shouldn't let her have bail at all if she is this cold and callous. She didn't even look for the baby from what I have read.
I know she did not even care. The boys grandmom is still in shock trauma, she is bad off too.

This is the 1st, I've heard of this case. How cruel people can be just sickens me. That poor little boy.I hope the driver is made to answer for what she has done :furious:

If I found a mangled stroller under my car, I think my brain would lock up and if there was no kid to be seen, I'd never assume I hit a child. However, if I had recently swerved to avoid hitting a kid in a stroller, and THEN found a mangled stroller under my car.... things would be different.

michelle said:
I know she did not even care. The boys grandmom is still in shock trauma, she is bad off too.

Prayers for the grandmother and the rest of his family.

The news around here is she knew she hit them. How cruel can someone be? If she did not know why did she act like she had amnesia, and she also said she wanted to get home to her kids.

From November 2007:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2007-11-17/news/0711170047_1_cozart-elijah-hogue

Wiping tears from her eyes, Lazara Arellano de Hogue apologized yesterday and begged for forgiveness from the parents of a child who was dragged to death beneath her pickup truck nearly a year ago...

The defendant's comments came during an emotionally wrenching three-hour hearing that ended with Baltimore County Circuit Judge John O. Hennegan's decision to sentence the woman to 10 years in prison...

Other witnesses told the judge that the carriage was lodged so tightly that one front wheel locked up and stopped rotating, and that the scraping and screeching noises it made could be heard even after the truck was out of sight...

Noting that an autopsy revealed that the boy's fatal injuries were caused by being dragged rather than the impact of the initial crash, Hennegan pointed out that the toddler would likely still be alive if the driver had stopped.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back