This case was recently posted for the first time on Doenetwork

----------------------------
Michael D. Burnett
Missing since March 17, 1971 from Oroville, Butte County, Calfornia
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: May 21, 1956
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9"; 160 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Black hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Missing part of left lung.
Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Michael was last seen on March 17, 1971, in Oroville.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Butte County Sheriffs Department 530-538-7321

Agency Case Number: C96014267
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
CA DOJ
The Doe Network: Case File 2332DMCA

How debilitating would it be to be missing part of a lung? I wonder if he tired easily , had breathing problems, or took a medication that maybe he forgot that day. He certainly looks younger than 15 in the face but his size seems like that of a 15 year old..

He was last seen leaving his house on his way to school 36 years ago. Michael Burnett's family and investigators still want to know what became of the 14-year-old.

Burnett disappeared on March 17, 1971 from Oroville. It's a missing person case that Butte County Sheriff's Detective Dan Angel says he'd like to solve more than any other.

"It doesn't make any sense," said Angel. "He came from a good family. He had no reason to run away."

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=36306

March 17th (St Patrick's Day) 2011 will mark the 40 year anniversary of the disappearance of Michael D. Burnett.

Michael Duane Burnett
  • michael_duane_burnett_1.jpg
  • michael_duane_burnett_2.jpg
Michael, circa 1971; Age-progression to age 51 (circa 2007)

• Missing Since03/17/1971
  • Missing FromOroville, California
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth05/21/1956 (62)
  • Age14 years old
  • Height and Weight5'9 - 6'0, 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA blue sweater, green pants and brown suede shoes.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Black hair, brown eyes. Michael has a surgical scar on the left side of his chest from partial lung removal, and a a small scar near his right eye. He is left-handed. His nickname is Mike.
Details of Disappearance
Michael was last seen leaving his home on Clement Drive in Oroville, California on March 17, 1971. He was planning to walk down Lower Wyandotte to Central Middle School, but never arrived and has never been heard from again.

Michael got in an argument with his mother the day of his disappearance, and initially she thought he might have gone to the state of Washington, where his father lived. He apparently never made it there, however.

Foul play is suspected in Michael's case. Authorities don't believe he left of his own accord, as he had no history of such behavior and wasn't having any personal problems at the time of his disappearance. He did get in a fight with some other people from another school a few days before his disappearance, and was sent home early due to his injuries. His case remains unsolved.

Two days late (by Australian time) but bumping for Michael, who has now been missing for 48 years.

How debilitating would it be to be missing part of a lung? I wonder if he tired easily , had breathing problems, or took a medication that maybe he forgot that day. He certainly looks younger than 15 in the face but his size seems like that of a 15 year old..

I went to school with a girl who only had one lung. I don't remember why she had to have a lung removed. But she played high school basketball anyway so I guess it didn't affect her too much. She was, however, always kind of undersized and still is unusually thin, so I don't know if the missing lung has anything to do with it or if she has other health issues. He might not have noticed much difference in having part of his lung gone.

Seems so odd to disappear before school, he may have been young but his size is that of a man making him an odd target for kidnapping. Would look at the boys he got into an altercation with a few days earlier...he was injured enough to be sent home from school.

My older brother has 1 and 1/2 lung. He was in a severe car accident and a rib went through one of his lungs. And, I have had 1/2 of a lung collapse from having pain. Anyway, I don't think the 1 and 1/2 lung thing caused him issues. The body can function with a lung and a 1/2. My brother doesn't have breathing issues nor does he become easily tired. I didn't experience issues either. But, I guess everyone is different and it also depends if the person has asthma or not.

Missing for 50 years...

Michael Duane Burnett
michael_duane_burnett_1.jpg
michael_duane_burnett_2.jpg

Michael, circa 1971; Age-progression to age 51 (circa 2007)

• Missing Since 03/17/1971
  • Missing From Oroville, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/21/1956 (64)
  • Age 14 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9 - 6'0, 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue sweater, green pants and brown suede shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Black hair, brown eyes. Michael has a surgical scar on the left side of his chest from partial lung removal, and a a small scar near his right eye. He is left-handed. His nickname is Mike.
Details of Disappearance

Michael was last seen leaving his home on Clement Drive in Oroville, California on March 17, 1971. He was planning to walk down Lower Wyandotte to Central Middle School, but never arrived and has never been heard from again.

Michael got in an argument with his mother the day of his disappearance, and initially she thought he might have gone to the state of Washington, where his father lived. He apparently never made it there, however.

Foul play is suspected in Michael's case. Authorities don't believe he left of his own accord, as he had no history of such behavior and wasn't having any personal problems at the time of his disappearance. He did get in a fight with some other people from another school a few days before his disappearance, and was sent home early due to his injuries. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Butte County Sheriff's Office 530-538-7321
Source Information

As they say above, he may have been weaker with more agitated breathing because his lung was removed... perhaps he was the object of ridicule by the students of another school with his lung problem, he wanted to defend himself and in the end someone missed the hand and finished with...
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back