John's basement window story

John's basement window story

• Yes, John related an authentic account.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • No, John did not relate an authentic account.

Votes: 49 74.2%
  • I am unable to decide.

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters
I voted that it was not an authentic account primarily based on the last line.

-Tea

icedtea4me, is this in reference to breaking it the previous summer, or finding it open in the morning and closing it and then not telling anyone?

Charlie said:
icedtea4me, is this in reference to breaking it the previous summer, or finding it open in the morning and closing it and then not telling anyone?
It is in reference to John Ramsey's claim of breaking it the previous summer, Charlie.

-Tea

I voted for he completely made it up. Why would he say, "That's probably how I would have done it?" Either he did that way or he didn't - how does "probably" come in unless he doesn't really know what he's talking about because he hasn't done it? He doesn't even remember which direction he was facing. Come on. It just doesn't sound like he's remembering a real incident.

icedtea4me said:
I voted that it was not an authentic account primarily based on the last line.
-Tea
Brilliant observation, Tea! For John Ramsey actually theorizes how he "would have" climbed through that window, which suggests that he never did climb through it.

Then you had reach in to unlatch the window, and if it's stuck, you just pop it open. I mean, I don't remember if I slid in face forward or a turned around. Probably turned around, turn around backwards and put your needs on the ledge here and let your feet in and then just drop down. That's probably how I would have done it? - John Ramsey during his June 1998 interrogation telling Det Lou Smit how he climbed into the basement window after he had broken it in the summer of 1996.
I'm no native speaker - what exactly does John mean by "face-forward"? That he nose-dived through the window into the basement?

rashomon said:
Brilliant observation, Tea! For John Ramsey actually theorizes how he "would have" climbed through that window, which suggests that he never did climb through it.

I'm no native speaker - what exactly does John mean by "face-forward"? That he nose-dived through the window into the basement?
I was born here and that didn't make any more sense to me than it did to you. Face forward would hav kerplunked him to the floor face first wouldn't it?

I think he means sliding in on his back by "face-forward", as in he is facing forward. That would probably have left his back scratched from scraping against the sill as he let himself down. As he tells the story, he's thinking it through, and realizing he'd have to let himself in on his stomach, so he has more control over the descent.

No matter what he meant, it doesn't sound like he ever actually did it. It sounds like he's going through the motions in his head to me.

coloradokares said:
I was born here and that didn't make any more sense to me than it did to you. Face forward would hav kerplunked him to the floor face first wouldn't it?
Yes, and you'd think he would have remembered that,broken nose and all..

Nuisanceposter said:
I think he means sliding in on his back by "face-forward", as in he is facing forward. That would probably have left his back scratched from scraping against the sill as he let himself down. As he tells the story, he's thinking it through, and realizing he'd have to let himself in on his stomach, so he has more control over the descent.

No matter what he meant, it doesn't sound like he ever actually did it. It sounds like he's going through the motions in his head to me.
Me too.And I think face-fwd would have left him with a broken back.

Nuisanceposter said:
I voted for he completely made it up. Why would he say, "That's probably how I would have done it?" Either he did that way or he didn't - how does "probably" come in unless he doesn't really know what he's talking about because he hasn't done it? He doesn't even remember which direction he was facing. Come on. It just doesn't sound like he's remembering a real incident.
In statement analysis,describing past events in the present tense indicates the person is inventing,rather than remembering real events as they happened.

Not only didn't he ever go through that window, he didn't leave it broken in December in Boulder CO.

I find it interesting John Ramsey goes looking for clues on the morning his daughter is kidnapped by a MONITORING foreign faction who threatens to kill her and John shuts the window and goes about his business looking for CLUES to an intruder!

For those who have voted yes, what was it about John's account which led you to believe it was authentic?

-Tea

icedtea4me said:
For those who have voted yes, what was it about John's account which led you to believe it was authentic?

-Tea
Bueller?

Bueller?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member