Andy Dick Apologizes for Racial Slur

hipmamajen

I love the friends I have gathered together on thi
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061206/ap_on_re_us/people_andy_dick

Andy Dick is apologizing for using the same racial slur that got ex-"Seinfeld" star Michael Richards in trouble last month.

Dick, a former co-star of the 1990s sitcom "NewsRadio," jumped on stage during a routine by Ian Bagg at L.A.'s Improv on Saturday night and used the n-word in an apparent attempt to joke about Richards, the celebrity Web site TMZ.com reported Tuesday.
Dick issued an apology through his publicist.

"I chose to make a joke about a subject that is not funny," said the statement, which was provided to the Los Angeles Times. "In an attempt to make light of a serious subject, I have offended a lot of people, and I am sorry for my insensitivity. I wish to apologize to Ian, to the club and its patrons and to anyone who was hurt or offended by my remark."
Man, I don't know what to think. On the one hand, I have TOTALLY made jokes or said things that I thought were going to be funny, only to have them blow up in my face and I end up having to try to make it right. But, on the other hand, I've never used that word, and I certainly wouldn't start using it to be funny... And, in general, I don't like Andy Dick's humor.

Ugh.

Paladin said:
He's the male version of Kathy Griffin.
Did you see her on Larry King last night? I have to be in a mood to watch her...

Paladin said:
He's the male version of Kathy Griffin.

Not even close! Kathy Griffin is a goddess!

I'm not sure what Dick said, but I think we need to get over the idea that it's bad to say (or write) the word "" when discussing that very word. Using the expression, "the N word", just made everybody look silly during the OJ trial.

(ETA: Okay, I read the entire article. What Dick said was stupid and unfunny, but hardly racist. As far as I'm concerned, the apology was unnecessary.)

for some weird reason i think this is like publicity stunt for him. he's so fricking dorky, i could see him doing it on purpose and making a joke with the apology, if only to get some press. bad press seems to have been reviving people's careers as of late.

I am in 100 percent agreement with Nova about his entire post. Especially the Kathy Griffin part.

And Nova, I finally figured out that I was confusing Nova with Narlacat somehow. But never again.

Does ANYBODY actually like Andy Dick? I can't think of any reason anyone would.

TheShadow said:
Does ANYBODY actually like Andy Dick? I can't think of any reason anyone would.
Lol. I can't stand him but he was funny in his cameo in Old School.

reportertype said:
I am in 100 percent agreement with Nova about his entire post. Especially the Kathy Griffin part.

And Nova, I finally figured out that I was confusing Nova with Narlacat somehow. But never again.

Narlacat is brilliant and (I imagine) beautiful! Feel free to confuse us any time. (But for the record, Narla is an Aussie chick; I'm an American dude.)

Nova said:
Not even close! Kathy Griffin is a goddess!

I'm not sure what Dick said, but I think we need to get over the idea that it's bad to say (or write) the word "" when discussing that very word. Using the expression, "the N word", just made everybody look silly during the OJ trial.

(ETA: Okay, I read the entire article. What Dick said was stupid and unfunny, but hardly racist. As far as I'm concerned, the apology was unnecessary.)

THANK YOU Nova!!! I can't believe they'd say that about Kathy. :slap: :slap: :slap: (oh, by the way, I agree about the rest of your post as well).

Jeana (DP) said:
THANK YOU Nova!!! I can't believe they'd say that about Kathy. :slap: :slap: :slap: (oh, by the way, I agree about the rest of your post as well).

Griffin and Dick are really very different types of comics. Dick aims to be edgy almost to the point of being performance art. (One might assume his model is Andy Kaufman.)

Griffin's act is that she (like us) is an outsider to the cult of fame and she is just sharing accounts of celebrity encounters to us, her best buds. Part of the fun (and genius) of Griffin is that she shocks us with her candor, yet we know perfectly well we say (or think) the same things. (One might assume her model is somebody like Liz Taylor's hairdresser. LOL.)

Personally, I find Dick annoying as a rule, but then the same was no doubt said of Andy Kaufman.

MistyM said:
for some weird reason i think this is like publicity stunt for him. he's so fricking dorky, i could see him doing it on purpose and making a joke with the apology, if only to get some press. bad press seems to have been reviving people's careers as of late.

Publicity stunt or no, it makes sense that the apology is part of the performance. That would be Dick's style, I think.

Nova said:
Griffin and Dick are really very different types of comics. Dick aims to be edgy almost to the point of being performance art. (One might assume his model is Andy Kaufman.)

Griffin's act is that she (like us) is an outsider to the cult of fame and she is just sharing accounts of celebrity encounters to us, her best buds. Part of the fun (and genius) of Griffin is that she shocks us with her candor, yet we know perfectly well we say (or think) the same things. (One might assume her model is somebody like Liz Taylor's hairdresser. LOL.)

Personally, I find Dick annoying as a rule, but then the same was no doubt said of Andy Kaufman.
I think they're both annoying as sin. Kathy Griffin is a text book case of someone who likes to hear themselves talk. That...and she's a notorious Hollywood gossip-monger. I guess she has nothing better to do when she doesn't have much of a career herself. I'm sorry, but it's safe to say if you end up on Hollywood squares you're a has-been, or a never-was.

Paladin said:
I think they're both annoying as sin. Kathy Griffin is a text book case of someone who likes to hear themselves talk. That...and she's a notorious Hollywood gossip-monger. I guess she has nothing better to do when she doesn't have much of a career herself. I'm sorry, but it's safe to say if you end up on Hollywood squares you're a has-been, or a never-was.

Miss the joke much? :) That's the entire point of Griffin's act, not to mention her TV show, "Life on the D List." (But, in fact, Griffin's career is going fine. She's never been more popular.)

Nova said:
Miss the joke much? :) That's the entire point of Griffin's act, not to mention her TV show, "Life on the D List." (But, in fact, Griffin's career is going fine. She's never been more popular.)
Anyone can do that. Trust me. :)

Paladin said:
Anyone can do that. Trust me. :)

Paladin, I'm not trying to talk you into liking her. And I can certainly see that if you aren't into her schtick, Griffin would be really annoying.

But all of us follow celebrities (to some extent) and all of us gossip (again, to varying degrees). These are inevitabilities in a fame-obsessed culture.

But Kathy Griffin has raised celebrity-obsession to an art form. If it were easy, somebody else would have done it as well.

(Just to offer some perspective, I don't read celebrity mags, I don't watch the talk shows, you won't find posts from me in the thread on Spears' pending divorce. Nonetheless, I recognize the satire inherent in what Griffin does (even when I know nothing about the celebrity she is discussing). And the dichotomy between Griffin's adoration of the famous and her desire to uncover their failings cracks me up!)

I'm sorry, but as a diehard fan of News Radio, I dearly love Andy Dick.

Will no one respect the "jazz hands"????

Or ~~~Frodo was a paranoid gnome~~~

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane