WI - Sr. Norma Giannini for sex abuse of teen boys, Milwaukee, 2006

2sisters

Reaction score
These are the people you are supposed to trust. After all she is a bride of christ.

MILWAUKEE -- A Catholic nun who served as a principal at a Milwaukee school has been charged with sexually assaulting children as many as 200 times.

Investigators said Sister Norma Giannini, now 78 years old, assaulted two of her students in the 1960s when the boys attended St. Patrick's Elementary School at 7th and Washington in Milwaukee, often in the church's convent and school office.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10462521/detail.html?subid=22100414&qs=1;bp=t

Wow. I think this is the first time I've ever heard of a nun abusing someone.

lizzybeth said:
This is terrible! :(

lizzybeth said:

:eek: Don't know why I am surprised but wow, I've never heard of sexual abuse with a nun, maybe physical, but not sexual. Of course, it must happen. Sounds like it got swept under the rug, if she is 78, and she's done it some 200 times. I guess I am surprised about that too, the Catholic powers that be seem so sexist in their hierarchy, I would have thought they would only cover up for a priest, not a mere nun! No offense to Catholics, jmo/impression.

Eve

lizzybeth said:
Here we go yet again.....why am I not surprised.

Nuns are known for abusing kids, maybe not sexually- but go back not even 50 years and you have all sorts of horrible behaviour by the nuns going on.

I am also not surprised the Chruch tried to cover it up, they probably just moved her around the place so she had more opportunity...same ol' story..

narlacat said:
Here we go yet again.....why am I not surprised.

Nuns are known for abusing kids, maybe not sexually- but go back not even 50 years and you have all sorts of horrible behaviour by the nuns going on.

I am also not surprised the Chruch tried to cover it up, they probably just moved her around the place so she had more opportunity...same ol' story..
Yep. Nuns have a long history of abuse. Not surprised that some of it was sexual.

That said, there are also many terrific nuns. My husband's aunt was an Irish nun and I met many others in her convent. Theye were all amazing woman - much more politically and socially aware than I would have suspected.

I spent my school career k-12 in Catholic school with nuns and priests some were holy hell and others were the best teachers and super nice. This incident doesn't mean the whole chruch is bad.

2sisters said:
I spent my school career k-12 in Catholic school with nuns and priests some were holy hell and others were the best teachers and super nice. This incident doesn't mean the whole chruch is bad.
My children also attended a private Catholic school. They got a wonderful education.

I attended Catholic school from K-6.
I have fond memories of the younger nuns who taught us..it was the older nuns who were scarey.....lost count of the times I was caned monday mornings for not being in church on sunday.

dingo said:
I have fond memories of the younger nuns who taught us..it was the older nuns who were scarey.....lost count of the times I was caned monday mornings for not being in church on sunday.
Lucky you weren't left handed as well Dingo!
For some reason they didn't like people being left handed..

narlacat said:
I do remember kids getting the cane for that..not me though:p .
The older nuns could always find some reason to get the cane out.

dingo said:
I agree that older nuns are more fond of the literal interpretation of spare the rod, spoil the child.

southcitymom said:
I agree that older nuns are more fond of the literal interpretation of spare the rod, spoil the child.
Hi South.
The older nuns certainly had that attitude..Maybe they were too old to be teaching young children........I remember one of the old nuns who taught me could hardly get around......but she could lash out with her walking stick when the mood hit her:D .

2sisters said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now that DOES surprise me about this "unsaintly" nun that abused children. My experience with nuns has been very positive and I went through 10 years of Catholic school, from the early 50's to early 60's. I have to also admit that the older nuns were more harsh than the younger ones. That said, I would not trade my Catholic education for all the salt on earth. The nuns were strict, but I think that this is what is missing in schools today. They kept us on the straight and narrow!

It only takes "one" bad seed to potentially try and contaminate the rest of the good ones. I guess people can dig anything up if they dig deep enough.

narlacat said:
My Dad is left handed, he is 75 now but had a Catholic schooling, run by nuns. He said he was punished terribly on a daily basis for using his left hand, he was told he had come from the devil, he was FORCED to use his right hand, and was then punished again for his work being untidy! My son is left handed and my STILL says to me....... "Don't ever force him to use his right hand", the memory is obviously still with my dad all these years later and it's so sad.

My Mum and her sisters also went to the same Catholic school and they all say they were emotionally, mentally and physically bulied by some of the nuns, they can remember vividly how cruel they were.

What annoys me is what gave these people the right to abuse these children, they were in a position of trust and took advantage of it, they need hanging if you ask me!!!

lizziedripping said:
My Dad is left handed, he is 75 now but had a Catholic schooling, run by nuns. He said he was punished terribly on a daily basis for using his left hand, he was told he had come from the devil, he was FORCED to use his right hand, and was then punished again for his work being untidy! My son is left handed and my STILL says to me....... "Don't ever force him to use his right hand", the memory is obviously still with my dad all these years later and it's so sad.

My Mum and her sisters also went to the same Catholic school and they all say they were emotionally, mentally and physically bulied by some of the nuns, they can remember vividly how cruel they were.

What annoys me is what gave these people the right to abuse these children, they were in a position of trust and took advantage of it, they need hanging if you ask me!!!
No one has the right to put their control on others especially when it involves abuse. My husband is left handed and he went to public school. The schools tried to change him from left to right handed, too, but guess what? He is still left handed.

They may not have had the same religious reasoning for it, but public schools also tried to change left-handers into right-handers. My m-i-l went to school when my husband was in first grade and said to let him be left-handed. They left him alone. My grandfather, many years before (late 1800's) started out being left-handed and was "strongly encouraged" in public school to become right-handed. He ended up being ambidextrous, which came in handy in his line of work in later years, but I am sure it was not much fun while the "encouragement" was going on.

Also, regarding nuns, in past years (waaaay past) sometimes women who were disappointed in love (he ran off with someone else) went to the convent. Bitter? You bet! Another strong encouragement was having a daughter with a "religious vocation" was considered a good thing, something like a status symbol in some cases. I am sure some women were almost literally pushed into convents. I can sure understand how someone could become bitter about not having made the choice for herself as to how she would spend her life.

To add to my last post: All of that being said about nuns, that is not to justify any cruel, etc. behavior by nuns, but may help to explain some of it.

lizziedripping said:

Great Post.
After attending a Catholic school the first 7 years of school, I can honestly say I never met a nun I liked.
It was my experience to be slapped across the face, punched in the back, made to kneel on a register, screamed at and once had to wear a sign on my shirt that read "I AM A CHEAT" because Sister Evelyn just knew I cheated on a math test. Which I didn't.
When the straight pin fell from the sign, she made me crawl on the floor and search for the pin, all the while kicking me in the rear end.
I spent every day of school scared to death and miserable and embarrased in some manner. I was afraid of everything. I physically shook while the nuns were near me.
I have since written to the school and asked why the nuns were allowed to treat children that way. The school ignored my letter. Of course. The Catholic Church always turns a blind eye to anything which makes them look wrong.
Needless to say, I am what's called a Recovering Catholic.

azwriter said:
Great Post.
After attending a Catholic school the first 7 years of school, I can honestly say I never met a nun I liked.
It was my experience to be slapped across the face, punched in the back, made to kneel on a register, screamed at and once had to wear a sign on my shirt that read "I AM A CHEAT" because Sister Evelyn just knew I cheated on a math test. Which I didn't.
When the straight pin fell from the sign, she made me crawl on the floor and search for the pin, all the while kicking me in the rear end.
I spent every day of school scared to death and miserable and embarrased in some manner. I was afraid of everything. I physically shook while the nuns were near me.
I have since written to the school and asked why the nuns were allowed to treat children that way. The school ignored my letter. Of course. The Catholic Church always turns a blind eye to anything which makes them look wrong.
Needless to say, I am what's called a Recovering Catholic.
You bet, noone turns a blind eye quite like the Catholic Church does!

There is hope awqriter, one day you will be a fully recovered Catholic.

Your story is all too common and people wonder why Catholicism makes my skin crawl.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back