Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA - Mimi Boomhower, 48, Los Angeles, 18 Aug 1949

CA - Mimi Boomhower, 48, Los Angeles, 18 Aug 1949

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2157dfca.html
    http://www.blackdahliaavenger.com/faq4.pdf

"Boomhower last talked to a friend from her home in Los Angeles, California on August 18, 1949. The friend had telephoned between 7 and 8 p. m. to discuss an approaching social event. After the call, Boomhower changed her dress and tossed the discarded garment on her bed. She left her car in the garage and an uneaten salad on the dining room table. Then she disappeared.
    Mrs. Boomhower's white handbag was found in a telephone booth at a supermarket in Los Angeles five days after she disappeared. Scrawled in ink on a side of the purse was this message: Police Dept.—we found this at beach Thursday night." . That was the night of her disappearance. In the purse were a credit card , driver's license, car keys, compact and lipstick. The purse showed no evidence of exposure to sand or salt water"
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 04-30-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: updated doe network link

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2sisters For This Useful Post:

just found her new page on the doe updates. Interesting story and whoever planted the purse in the phone both has to know something....

Hope there are some posters out there with more info or "gossip" about Mimi.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LisainWV For This Useful Post:

Kat

Richard always has good insight and info so I am hoping he sees this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2sisters For This Useful Post:

Kat

2sisters .... i overlooked your link to more info on her and her possible tie to the black dahlia killer. Haven't read it all, but didn't want to discredit your additional info.

You're right, Richard should really have some ideas on this one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LisainWV For This Useful Post:

Kat

It's good to see more very old cold cases being posted. Now that we have sites like the The Doe Network and the Charley Project (and of course, Websleuths!) these cases have more of a chance of being solved. It may be a very small chance due to the passage of time but it is always good to get these cases "out there". The news media mainly cares for recent cases and these old ones get forgotten.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to joellegirl For This Useful Post:

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by LisainWV
    2sisters .... i overlooked your link to more info on her and her possible tie to the black dahlia killer. Haven't read it all, but didn't want to discredit your additional info.

You're right, Richard should really have some ideas on this one.
    I haven't read through it yet entirely either.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2sisters For This Useful Post:

Kat

I've seen some on this before by Steve Hodel. I'm not convinced about his Dahlia theory, but either way, it's hard to me to picture Mimi being connected to Beth Short's murder. Nothing about them seems to fit, expect they are nearby and occurred within a couple of years of each other.

Mainly I keep coming back the way Short's body was splayed out for someone to find very quickly, yet no sign of Mimi. The Dahlia killer then contacted the media, sending them items, etc. Short was young, Mimi middle-aged.

However, anything's possible. Either way, this is a very interesting case. And creepy, too, with the uneaten salad. It sounds as if she was taken from her home or she was on her way to her car with her purse and someone grabbed her. I wonder if any of the jewelry she was wearing when she disappeared ever surfaced.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reportertype For This Useful Post:

Mimi Boomhower, 48, Missing since August 18, 1949 from Los Angeles, CA

From the Doenetwork files:

----------------------------------------
    Mimi Boomhower
    Missing since August 18, 1949 from Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: circa 1901
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 48 years old
    Distinguishing Characteristics: According to reports, she was considered "plump". She always wore big diamonds.
    Clothing: She was wearing $25,000 worth of jewelry — a diamond breast pin , a diamond-encrusted bracelet and two diamond rings.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Boomhower last talked to a friend from her home in Los Angeles, California on August 18, 1949. The friend had telephoned between 7 and 8 p. m. to discuss an approaching social event. After the call, Boomhower changed her dress and tossed the discarded garment on her bed. She left her car in the garage and an uneaten salad on the dining room table. Then she disappeared.

Mrs. Boomhower's white handbag was found in a telephone booth at a supermarket in Los Angeles five days after she disappeared. Scrawled in ink on a side of the purse was this message: Police Dept.—we found this at beach Thursday night." . That was the night of her disappearance. In the purse were a credit card , driver's license, car keys, compact and lipstick. The purse showed no evidence of exposure to sand or salt water.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Los Angeles Police Department Cold Cases Unit
    213-485-2505 or 213-485-2129

Source Information:
    1959 Independent-Press-Telegram-Southland-Magazine
    The Doe Network: Case File 2157DFCA

LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/2157dfca.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Kat

Possible scenario...

With so little to go on, there is certainly a lot of room to speculate as to possible scenarios.

My thought is that Mimi was murdered for her Jewelry and perhaps for cash that she was carrying, as there is no mention of her home being ransacked, and her car was still there.

The most likely scenario is that someone, who knew her and her love of wearing expensive jewelry had offered her a ride to the event. He may have arrived a bit early, interrupting her supper, and causing her to dress quickly for the party. From her home, he took her somewhere, killed her, took her cash and jewelry and disposed of her body.

The purse may have been dropped or dumped and found by persons who did not wish to be involved or known to police and the killer. Thus the story of finding it at the beach. The person who wrote the note knew more about the case.

It is certainly possible that someone wanted Mimi killed for other reasons, but lacking any other information, the above scenario is the most logical one I can come up with.

Knowing more about the specific jewelry would be an important clue in the case.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Mimi Boomhower Missing 1949

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/2157dfca.html

Mimi Boomhower
    Missing since August 18, 1949 from Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: circa 1901
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 48 years old
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: According to reports, she was considered "plump". She always wore big diamonds.
    • Clothing: She was wearing $25,000 worth of jewelry — a diamond breast pin , a diamond-encrusted bracelet and two diamond rings.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Boomhower last talked to a friend from her home in Los Angeles, California on August 18, 1949. The friend had telephoned between 7 and 8 p. m. to discuss an approaching social event. After the call, Boomhower changed her dress and tossed the discarded garment on her bed. She left her car in the garage and an uneaten salad on the dining room table. Then she disappeared.
    Mrs. Boomhower's white handbag was found in a telephone booth at a supermarket in Los Angeles five days after she disappeared. Scrawled in ink on a side of the purse was this message: Police Dept.—we found this at beach Thursday night." . That was the night of her disappearance. In the purse were a credit card , driver's license, car keys, compact and lipstick. The purse showed no evidence of exposure to sand or salt water.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to anthrobones For This Useful Post:

Kat

Here's another Websleuths link on this lady. Apparently there was a theory about her disappearance being connected with the Black Dahlia's. This was first brought up, I believe by Steve Hodel, the retired police officer who thinks his father murdered the Black Dahlia. I don't really give much credence to that theory but it's interesting nonetheless. http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45170

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MaryLiz For This Useful Post:

Kat

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...&cd=5&ie=UTF-8

That link says the Boomhower murder. If so, why is she listed as missing? Also interesting that Jean Spangler is mentioned.

i dont really buy that someone would pick up her purse off the beach and leave it in a phone booth for the police to find. that seems way too suspicious. maybe the kidnapper was trying to throw the police off?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lostwithoutyou For This Useful Post:

There is another thread on Mimi-can the mods merge it?
    On the surface, there seems to be nothing to connect Mimi’s disappearance with that of Elizabeth Short, but, starting with Georgette Bauerdorf and maybe ending in the early 50s, there were an awful lot of LA women disappearing, being murdered, etc. all in a way that seems to be connected to the Dahlia killing.

Was Mimi’s body found? Where in LA did she live?

Mimi has been missing 61 years today. Come home soon.

http://news.google.com/archivesearch

There are a lot of articles about Mimi from 1949-1979 and not all are pay per view some are free.

Just type her name into the search box (I add quotation marks) and they will pop up for anyone that is curious about reading the initial articles.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Mimi's Charley Project file has been updated.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ower_mimi.html
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

So the message was written on the purse, or was the message on a piece of paper attached to the purse? If written on the purse itself, the person who "found" it, would know that the owner would not likely want to keep the purse with ink marks on it. so yeah, I think it was placed to throw police off.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to parakeet For This Useful Post:

http://www.doenetwork.org/

go to case File 2157DFCA

33. The Following User Says Thank You to PFF For This Useful Post:

Kat

The writing was on the purse itself. It bears a strong resemblance to the writing on the body of murder victim Jeanne French. I couldn't find a picture of the Boomhower purse. I think there might be one in Steve Hodel's Dahlia book.
    Warning: Links below contain graphic images.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_I1nElmlKUg...ipstickpic.jpg
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/...5236a822fb.jpg
    If coincidence never happened, there wouldn't be a word for it.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bargle For This Useful Post:

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Whether true or not, Boomhower has been referred to as a "merry widow".

If her lights were left on, that indicates a hasty exit indeed, that is, unless that was her habit - either that or she was only expecting to be gone a few minutes.

I wonder if anyone was familiar enough with her wardrobe so that, by process of elimination, it could be determined what she was wearing after she changed. That would be an indication of where she may have been going, I think.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STANDREID For This Useful Post:

I think the purse was meant to show Mimi committed suicide, that's why the credit card wasn't touched. Walked into the water, left her belongings on beach. The best way to avoid an investigation would be to show no crime was committed.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin Hood For This Useful Post:

http://www.stevehodel.com/faq/FAQ04.pdf

PDF has articles scanned. There is a picture of the white purse. Purse on page 3 of 13. (FWIW, I'm not buying into the black dahlia connection but that's just me).

I do find it interesting that Mimi disappeared on the 6th anniversary of her Husband's death and that she was having financial difficulties also.

http://books.google.com/books?id=qwf...wer%22&f=false

Page 319.

In this book it is written that she told her business manager C. Manaugh that she was going to meet a gentleman at 7 PM at her home and that Mr. Manaugh believed that this man might have been a perspective buyer for the home.

In this book it is written that the purse was to have been found not to have had any particles of sand.

(there is another picture of the purse in this book linked directly above).

There are couple of pages missing of course that probably conclude Mimi's entry in the above book and it looks like the next chapter deals with Spangler (she also has a thread on here).

http://books.google.com/books?id=wKW...wer%22&f=false

Another book. page 416.

Identifies Mimi's address as 701 Nimes Road, LA. Id's her deceased husband as N. E. Boomhower deceased 1943.

This book Id's person who found purse in phonebooth and gives his address as well.

(this book also compares Mimi to black dahlia but I brought it here for the details included)

The gambler that Mimi was seen with at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel the week or so prior to her disappearance is ID'ed in the PDF above IIRC.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5953,2589814

Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Aug 16, 1959

This article gives her estate value after her declaration of death.

Just some additional reading info for anyone interested.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Her home was in Bel-Air. That's a very wealthy neighborhood. It sounds like she did whatever she could to keep up appearances. I wonder if she got involved in some sort of shady financial dealings (loans, etc) that she just couldn't pay back?

It sounds like the investigators had a good idea of what her jewelry looked like. I wish they would have released pictures of it. I wonder if it's been pawned? Finding the jewelry might have been a major clue in her disappearance.
    Do you have language questions or letters/documents that you'd like to have examined in order to determine the language background of the writer? I can help!

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marie-chantal For This Useful Post:

According to a previous post, Mimi Boomhower was a widow, her husband having died in 1943. Does anyone have any further information about him? Was he a serviceman who was killed in World War II? If not, what was his occupation and how did he die?

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Novis Boomhower or Novice E. Boomhower:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4891,6693220

Widow's Sister: Mrs. Olga L. Herman, Hewlitt, LI
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=4901,137120

Creole

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Creole For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast