Australia - Ivan Milat, Backpack Killer, NSW, 1989-1992

Tristan

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can read more about this case?

I Googled it, and found very little.

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!

Tristan

We have a serial murderer in Australia known as the backpacker killer .
His name is Ivan Milat....but maybe youre thinking of another one.
Merry Christmas to you too:)

Is it this one?

Australia's alleged 'backpack killer' goes on trial

A 51-year-old construction worker charged in what has become Australia's most notorious serial killer case pleaded innocent Monday at the start of what could be a six-month trial.
Ivan Robert Marko Milat is charged with plucking seven backpack-toting hitchhikers from a highway between Sydney and Melbourne between 1989 and 1992, murdering them, then burying their bodies in a forest southwest of Sydney.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9603/australia_backpack_killer/

On the Doe Network, there are so many missing persons in...New South Wales?? I think that is the part of Australia that I'm thinking about. Lots of them went missing in the late mid-to late 70s.

Ivan was known to be in the same area at the same time some of these girls went missing.
Two girls went missing from the town I now live at........Ivan was working here at the time.
He was tried recently for one of the missing girls....but there wasnt enough evidence against him.
At least he is where he belongs.

dingo said:
Ivan was known to be in the same area at the same time some of these girls went missing.
Two girls went missing from the town I now live at........Ivan was working here at the time.
He was tried recently for one of the missing girls....but there wasnt enough evidence against him.
At least he is where he belongs.
Do you know if the movie "Wolf Creek" is based on Ivan's known murders? That is a scary movie.

samhoney said:
Do you know if the movie "Wolf Creek" is based on Ivan's known murders? That is a scary movie.
Hi Sam.
Wolf Creek is loosely based on the backpaker murders as well as the Peter Falcanio/Joanna Lees case.
Wolf Creek is one scarey movie......the name of the campsite in the movie is an anagram for Ivan Milat

dingo said:
Hi Sam.
Wolf Creek is loosely based on the backpaker murders as well as the Peter Falcanio/Joanna Lees case.
Wolf Creek is one scarey movie......the name of the campsite in the movie is an anagram for Ivan Milat
I still have not watched that. I am a :chicken: . I love horror movies but have nobody to watch them with.:(

dingo said:
Hi Sam.
I havent seen it either, scaring the crap out of myself is not my idea of being entertained, I sometimes get roped into watching things I don't like...but I havent got roped into this one yet...

I didn't know that..

dingo said:
Hi Sam.
OK, that anagram thing FREAKS me out. I love scary movies! I think that what makes Wolf Creek so scary is that it did happen and it CAN happen to anyone.

samhoney said:
I think that what makes Wolf Creek so scary is that it did happen and it CAN happen to anyone.
Heck yea thats what makes it scary. I still get spooked watching The Amityville Horror. Anything that is based of fact scares me.

michelle said:
I still have not watched that. I am a :chicken: . I love horror movies but have nobody to watch them with.:(
I love watching them too......but sometimes I do regret it...specially when its late at night and Im home alone:)

I know a lot of people think the movie is lame, but "The Blair Witch Project" was pretty scary to me. I do believe in the supernatural and in hauntings. I don't think camping will ever be the same for me! :eek:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s-killing-fields/story-e6freuzi-1225912115351

August 31, 2010

Belanglo State Forest search widens after human remains moved

POLICE have widened their search of the notorious Belanglo State Forest in the NSW Southern Highlands today as human remains found by trail bike riders were moved to Sydney for forensic analysis.
Detectives refused to confirm if the discovery of bones and a skull are linked in any way to infamous serial killer Ivan Milat or to the disappearance of wealthy housewife Kerry Whelan.

http://media.dailytelegraph.com.au/files/Missing.pdf

(Sorry the text on this picture is so sensational, I don't have time to crop it this morning and wanted to bring the pictures from the article here).

Attachments

• 101521-dt-splash-ghosts-of-belanglo.jpg
    101521-dt-splash-ghosts-of-belanglo.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 16
A New South Wales company, Goulburn Ghost Tours, has cancelled its widely-criticized 'Extreme Terror Tours' of 1990s serial killer Ivan Milat's dumping ground in Belanglo Forest.

Milat is serving life sentences for the murder of seven packpackers - two Australians, three Germans and two Britons - who he buried in the forest. In 2010, a teen relative of his also killed someone in the forest and the victim's family, who live nearby, spoke of their disgust at the tours.

Goulburn manager Louise Edwards said that 'with hindsight, more thought should have gone into the marketing of the tours'.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33532470

Photo link:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-...rs-cancelled-after-community-backlash/6620176

Attachments

• 6620188-3x2-700x467-1.jpg
    6620188-3x2-700x467-1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 14

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members