New Non-Lethal Weapon Makes People Feel Like They're Are On Fire!

Dark Knight

Reaction score
(ABC News) Dec. 8, 2006 — A military convoy is making its way through a crowded Baghdad street. Without warning, a blast rings out and the Bradley Fighting Vehicle leading the convoy is destroyed, along with the men and women it contained.

A crowd of what appear to be civilians rush the decimated vehicle, surrounding it, and units are called in to calm the situation and secure the Bradley. The crowd grows unruly and units on the scene fear that insurgents or sympathizers may have mixed in and are attempting to loot the vehicle of ammunition and parts.

Today, those units have two choices — and both of them are bad. They can attempt to disperse the crowd by ordering them to get away from the vehicle and leave — which would likely have little effect — or they can fire into the crowd, possible injuring or even killing innocent civilians in the process.

"If you're a soldier dealing with an unruly mob you don't have a lot of options," says Noah Shachtman, editor-in-chief of Defensetech.org. "You have the M-16 option, the bullhorn option and there's not that much in between."

That is, until now. A new non-lethal weapon developed by the Department of Defense intends to give soldiers a third option in these kinds of situations.

The ADS, or Active Denial System, fires off an invisible beam that penetrates the top 1/64th of an inch of a target's skin, hitting those sensitive pain receptors and causing a burning sensation that some have likened to being dipped in molten lava.

When the target steps out of the beam's path, the pain goes away instantaneously, causing no permanent damage and leaving no marks, bruises or burns.

Some military experts are calling it the Holy Grail of crowd control. But critics fear that after incidents like the Abu Ghraib prison torture scandal, the potential for the technology to be abused or for more sinister means is simply too great.

"The big concern is exactly what it's going to be used for and do we want a weapon that simply causes pain because there are all sorts of ways that this could be misused," says David Hambling who's has monitored the ADS and other non-lethal technologies and authored the book "Weapons Grade: How Modern Warfare Gave Birth to Our High-Tech World."

MUCH more at link:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=2708856&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

And you think this is good, Dark Knight? :confused:

Wow. If I saw that in a sci-fi film, I'd think that it was too far-fetched. Wild!

I can see how there would be concern for abuse.

As long as they're building this unbelievable sci-fi stuff, can they make me a self-cleaning house?

Floh said:
And you think this is good, Dark Knight? :confused:
Not sure what I think of it. I don't like the idea of hand held devices as those could easily fall into the wrong hands and be abused. The larger device might have applications in some of the situation in Iraq I have seen. Dunno what to think just yet, lol. As the article said, right now soldiers only have two very limited options.

I have no doubt they will fall into the wrong hands. :(

Not sure if I like this or nut but it sure is interesting. If it is used to subdue someone in lieu of killing them, then i would say searing pain may be better thatn death. I don't know. The things we can come up with.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back