Extreme MakeOver/Home Edition

Tom'sGirl

Former Member
Reaction score
............the first time in 13 months, the roving reality series that started in Los Angeles has come home for a two-hour episode that airs at 8 tonight and covers the construction of a new Redondo Beach house for Los Angeles Police Officer Kristina Ripatti, who was paralyzed in June when she was shot in South Los Angeles. (Her partner, Joe Meyer, shot and killed the gunman.)

In the wake of the incident, producers were inundated with letters and phone calls from Angelenos, including LAPD Chief William Bratton, nominating Ripatti and her husband, LAPD Officer Tim Pearce, for a larger wheelchair-accessible home. On top of grappling with her physical injury, Ripatti has struggled with the emotional pain of not being able to sleep in the same bed as her husband because her wheelchair did not fit in her bedroom doorway and her 21-month-old daughter's confused distancing. Ripatti, her mother-in-law and her nurse slept in the living room for four months.

But transforming the couples' 849-square-foot cottage into a 3,234-square-foot coastal haven with a 646-square-foot detached garage in seven days was not "Home Edition's" primary mission.

"The most important thing we're doing is reconnecting this family," said designer Michael Moloney. "Mother and daughter had a bit of a disconnect because Mom was injured in a chair and the baby was pulling back, and it just broke Kristina's heart. We also have a husband and wife who have only been married three years and have not been able to spend a night together for four months. So more than building a house, we're going to put this family back together and give her a fresh start and give her back her freedom."
  • I'm so excited to finally get to see the inside of what they've been working on. I normally don't watch the show, but our local T.V. morning shows have going to the site, but don't reveal much.............I'm so happy for Kristina and Tim, THIS DEFINATELY MAKES ME SMILE :)

This is one of our favorite shows, I never miss it. I am watching it now.

michelle said:
This is one of our favorite shows, I never miss it. I am watching it now.
I have two hours yet before it comes on out here!. Poop :banghead:

Tom'sGirl said:
I have two hours yet before it comes on out here!. Poop :banghead:
Its good. I always get all teary eyed watching it but this is one of the only shows I can watch with our son as a family.

Ahhh, yes....Mr. Ty Pennington himself. In all his glory. Mmmmmm. Very nice, indeed.

OK, back to reality. It's a great show. Love it. Used to watch it all the time, but haven't lately. That is so awesome that they are doing this for this paralyzed police officer. She put her life on the line, and became paralyzed simply because she was protecting the public. She sooooo deserves this.

michelle, I know what you mean. It's so hard finding shows that you can watch together as a family. They are becoming pretty rare these days. If it's not all about sex, sex, sex, then it's all about murder, killing, and more murders. Too bad more producers can't think outside of the box and evolve just a bit. Nobody seems to think or care that todays kids will be taking care of todays adults...tomorrow. ha ha, did that make sense?

julianne said:
michelle, I know what you mean. It's so hard finding shows that you can watch together as a family. They are becoming pretty rare these days. If it's not all about sex, sex, sex, then it's all about murder, killing, and more murders. Too bad more producers can't think outside of the box and evolve just a bit. Nobody seems to think or care that todays kids will be taking care of todays adults...tomorrow. ha ha, did that make sense?
It is terrible. I had my son and I on the couch this weekend and watched Little House on the Praire christmas because I could not even watch local channels. We Also watched the Hallmark Channel, I love that one. Its sad, I cant even watch a regular sitcom.

I love this show! I watched the episode last night.

I watch it with my girls too. My girls laugh at me every Sunday night cause I cry.

2luvmy said:
I love this show! I watched the episode last night.

I watch it with my girls too. My girls laugh at me every Sunday night cause I cry.
I cry too...my boys poke fun at me too.

michelle said:
Its good. I always get all teary eyed watching it but this is one of the only shows I can watch with our son as a family.
I was so moved they way they touched on Kris & Tim's personal life prior to her being shot, and having her fellow officer telling the story of that terrible day.

While they were doing the razing, then the building their neighbors were all so gracious as most of them had equipement in their yards and some couldn't even use their drive-ways, but they were thrilled in spite of it.

Their plight has touched so many of us in the general area, and this was just wonderful.

This show always makes me cry! I think it's great that they help all those families. Does anyone else feel sometimes that they go overboard a bit? I often wonder how these families are able to mantain the expenses involved with the upkeep of these homes. I am sure the team's jobs are so rewarding!

annrulefan said:
This show always makes me cry! I think it's great that they help all those families. Does anyone else feel sometimes that they go overboard a bit? I often wonder how these families are able to mantain the expenses involved with the upkeep of these homes. I am sure the team's jobs are so rewarding!
Yes, I definately believe they go overboard most of the time! When a couple can't make ends meet with what they have, how do they expect them to keep up just the utilities and taxes alone on what they build.

I had mentioned a long time ago about one such case, they absolutely over-built the area, drove up the taxes and the family couldn't afford it. To top it off, they never took care of what they had in their old house, and were the same way with the new one.

No matter how meager one's home is, if they don't keep things half way clean or at least picked up, it will only get worse with a huge home. The new home's don't come with a housekeeper :D

My DH worked (volunteered) many hours on this project. He told me bits and pieces of what they were doing but it was so terrific to see what an awsome job they all did! I know DH was extremely happy to help the family! He also told me all the designers and staff from the show were really nice and inspiring.

KCB

I would think that they would see what the family finances are before building a huge home. For instance, in some cases when they build large homes, part of the gift is also a cash donation that should go to taxes, utilities, etc.

I think it is great what ABC and the sponsors are doing. I think they probably dig deep into these families' backgrounds to make sure they are not going to wasting time and effort providing for folks.

kayceebee said:
My DH worked (volunteered) many hours on this project. He told me bits and pieces of what they were doing but it was so terrific to see what an awsome job they all did! I know DH was extremely happy to help the family! He also told me all the designers and staff from the show were really nice and inspiring.

KCB

That is very cool kayceebee! What did your DH do while volunteering?

This was one of the best shows they have done IMO

He did a lot of the rough framing stuff..then he helped with the drywall. We just got done with a major addition/remodel at our house so I don't know how thrilled he was to put on his tool belt again! He knew it was for a worthy cause!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back