1299 users online (278 members and 1021 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 272
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    482

    No English Required

    This is crap, IMHO. An airport in Texas was going to implement a requirement that all their workers speak fluent English. They were even going to offer a free course to help people who weren't fluent. Then some PC guy said it was racist and they have decided not to pursue this requirement further. I say this is our country and we are an English speaking country. I know there is no "official" language but we are, "unofficially" an English speaking society. What a bunch o crap. I am sick of walking on eggshells, lest some poor thin-skinned milkatoast be offended. Boo hoo.http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,235778,00.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,967
    hhhmm..... is this the new citizenship test for the USA.....???

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by reb
    hhhmm..... is this the new citizenship test for the USA.....???
    It certainly should be! I would never think of taking up residence in Mexico or France or Germany, AND EXPECTING EMPLOYMENT THERE without first learning their language! Nor would I expect to vote or drive on their roads without first EARNING THAT PRIVILEGE by learning their language fluently.

    We should demand the same in our country.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    482
    Amen to that, Pepper!!

  5. #5
    Have we made english the officical language?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper
    It certainly should be! I would never think of taking up residence in Mexico or France or Germany, AND EXPECTING EMPLOYMENT THERE without first learning their language! Nor would I expect to vote or drive on their roads without first EARNING THAT PRIVILEGE by learning their language fluently.

    We should demand the same in our country.
    If your requirement has been in place in the past, Pepper, we would have 3 groups of people in this country: the English and their descendants, the descendants of black slaves and (a few) Native Americans. Maybe a few Latinos, but most of them might have been forcibly exiled to Mexico.

    The USA would be a poorer, and certainly duller, place.

    Learning a language takes years. Few immigrants could or can wait that long to earn a living.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,967
    hey guys, that was a joke-- i was asking if "NO ENGLISH REQUIRED" was the new citizenship test for the US..... lol

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,967
    windovervocalcords-- i think it's too late and now we're too scared to... at this point it would probably cause race/ethnic/religious riots... and most of our armed forces are in iraq.. it would be quite a mess. plus the govt would have to deal with thousands of lawsuits from offended people...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    If your requirement has been in place in the past, Pepper, we would have 3 groups of people in this country: the English and their descendants, the descendants of black slaves and (a few) Native Americans. Maybe a few Latinos, but most of them might have been forcibly exiled to Mexico.

    The USA would be a poorer, and certainly duller, place.

    Learning a language takes years. Few immigrants could or can wait that long to earn a living.
    Nova, from past posts, if I remember, you left South Florida years before I did. Miami became so multi-cultural that English was demoted to third place. I couldn't go down town to shop without being addressed first in Spanish. I had to enforce an English for Business in my office. Out side of a few phrases and words, I couldn't speak Spanish and I had no clue if business was being handled or it was idle chit chat. I was told repeatedly to go back where I came from, this was their town now and I had no place there. Then we had a massive influx of Haitians. Creole spoken with no knowledge of English or for that matter, even Spanish. But, given all that, at least they found jobs. They did yard work, washed dishes, bussed tables, mopped floors and some slowly learned English. Miami is vulnerable because of its tropical climate, so much like what they had back at home. They feel comfortable. Comfort can create arrogance and perceived entitlement.

    Now, me not speaking Spanish well, but traveling to Texas and lost in an airport, I'd like to be able to ask directions and have it understood so that I get help. Same for a hospital. My mother's nurses at one rehab center spoke only Creole and they kept moving her leg after a hip operation. She told them to stop, but not understanding what she said, it caused her to come "unhooked" and required another surgery to correct it. On the other hand, when I travel outside the US and English is not spoken as a rule, I don't expect someone to speak it to accomodate me. I make an effort and have gotten along pretty well considering. Just knowing how hard I am trying, if someone speaks English they came over to help.

    I wanted to take Spanish in school, but my mother insisted I have four years of Latin. It does allow me to understand by reading some words of a romance language.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnGoddess
    Nova, from past posts, if I remember, you left South Florida years before I did...
    BG, I left South Florida in 1977... And moved to Manhattan! Then I moved to Southern California in 1985. I now live about 100 miles from Mexico.

    Trust me, I know a little about linguistically diverse communities.

    For better or worse, English is the closest thing this world has to a universal language. I have no problem with airport workers who deal with the public being required to speak it reasonably well.

    I was only responding to the notion that immigrants be required to learn English before they are allowed to work anywhere. That could work only if all immigrants were highly cosmopolitan and highly educated.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,186

    ...truthfully, most of the people that you folks are damning, speak more languages...

    ...than you ever will...

    My "immigrant" grandparents on my Dad's side spoke, wrote and read the following languages:

    Armenian, Turkish, Arabic, English, and French... (also, some Russian) I have a copy of my Grandfather's rare2 volume set of "Les Miserables" that is in both French and Armenian...not bad for a guy whose parents were farmers in the Caucusus mountains...

    On my Mom's side: German, Polish, Russian, Yiddish, and English

    Most Americans whose families have been here for hundreds of years don't even have a decent grasp of English...

    I speak, read and write, English and French fluently, and know something in the following languages: Russian, Armenian, Polish, German, and Italian...

    So, just knock off the bashing of the immigrants who don't speak English very well crap; I'm really getting sick of it...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cappuccina
    ...than you ever will...

    My "immigrant" grandparents on my Dad's side spoke, wrote and read the following languages:

    Armenian, Turkish, Arabic, English, and French... (also, some Russian) I have a copy of my Grandfather's rare2 volume set of "Les Miserables" that is in both French and Armenian...not bad for a guy whose parents were farmers in the Caucusus mountains...

    On my Mom's side: German, Polish, Russian, Yiddish, and English

    Most Americans whose families have been here for hundreds of years don't even have a decent grasp of English...

    I speak, read and write, English and French fluently, and know something in the following languages: Russian, Armenian, Polish, German, and Italian...

    So, just knock off the bashing of the immigrants who don't speak English very well crap; I'm really getting sick of it...
    It used to be that getting a good education involved learning a second language. Now we are so arrogant that we are offended that we may need to learn more than one language in our country in order to meet the needs of all of our citizens.

    I wish I had taken spanish instead of latin. (forgive me dear Catholics)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    ...truthfully, most of the people that you folks are damning, speak more languages... than you ever will...
    Word.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    9,183
    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords
    Have we made english the officical language?
    In an English speaking country, why not?

    I think the least they can do is try and string a few words together, I would do the same if I lived in a country where English wasn't the first language.

    I must be racist, funny I don't feel racist lol

    I couldnt even grasp French, lucky I like living in a country where most everyone talks English!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,967
    another huge point to this whole thing-- isn't it a SECURITY ISSUE that everyone be able to speak english AT AN AIRPORT......????

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Clarification required on DNA findings
    By MaskedAvenger in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 05:03 AM
  2. MOD MESSAGE - Defense is up ***REQUIRED READ***
    By beach in forum Media Links/General Discussion/Rules and Stickies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM
  3. Tissues required....
    By Moggie in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 05:25 AM