941 users online (120 members and 821 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I had forgotten in the late 70's early 80's there was a Walgreens drug store and a Wags restaurant in Yorktown mall. It was right across from a Woolworths drug store which had a sit down counter style place to eat. They were on the same end as an anchor store, Either Montgomery Ward or JC Penneys as those were the two anchor stores on either far end of the mall at the time. It's been so long I don't recall which end of the mall either next to Penny's or Wards but I think next to Montgomery Ward. (Not 100% sure). IMO it is possible Mary could have purchased the tainted tylenol at Yorktown mall. however I think LE would have found either a receipt or perhaps survellience Mary purchased the tylenol at either Woolworths or Walgreens. Yorktown would have been a huge tax source for the village of Lombard so I can see how LE would not publically release the location if she had made the purchase in the mall.
    Last edited by Cubby; 06-06-2011 at 05:26 AM.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Correction to my above post, I think the dental college is Midwestern Univ, not Midwest Univ. I don't recall when the Walgreens and Woolworth drug stores closed in Yorktown Mall but I am 99% sure they closed after the Tylenol murders occured. I also can't positively say the Woolworth and Walgreens were directly across from each other but I am pretty sure they were. The mall has since been remodeled a few times.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

http://americanfraud.com/seventhtylenolbottle.aspx

There are also two possible addresses Mary may have purchased the tainted tylenol at the above link. 302 W. North Ave Villa Park and 215 S. Rt 83 Villa Park. The direct route from the home on Ridge in Lombard to the location on N. Wells in Chicago is a straight shot directly east down North Ave./Rt 64.

ETA: Villa Park is directly between Lombard and Elmhurst.
    ~JMO~

I have to say this is great research, AK and others - and the input from Illinois natives is most welcome, too.

Thinking outloud some more. The most likely direct route Mary would have taken home from York Town Mall is Butterfield Rd. east to York Rd and then North on York Rd. There is a Jewel Osco at the intersection of York and Butterfield Rds and was back in the late 70's early 80's. I think the current location of the Jewel at this intersection is not the exact location it was in the 70's or 80's. IIRC the Jewel was located at the SW corner of Butterfield and York then and has since relocated to the NW corner. Not sure if this helps or not but tossing it out there from my memory of various locations Mary may have shopped.
    ~JMO~

Cubby and others - Thanks for your help. Still looking at several different aspects of this, will have more info to post over the weekend. Hopefully the FBI will soon get the court order to get the DNA from Kaczynski, I don't know why it is taking so long.

One of the many mysteries in the case is how someone defeated the three layers of tamper resistant packaging in 1986 to insert cyanide laced capsules into Tylenol bottles in 1986. Such as the ones that killed Yonkers, NY resident Diane Elsroth. It seems as if it would have required someone with excellent technical skill and an eye for detail work to do so.

The other possibility that springs to my mind is making a cut at the bottom of the bottle, removing all the capsules, placing the tainted capsules back in so they go to the top, fill the rest of the bottle with regular capsules, and then perhaps seal the bottom by using heat and/or wax? Which would also require technical skill and an eye for detail, plus knowledge of the engineering elements involved.

These graphics show the tamper resistant three levels of protection used in 1986 and a map of the 1986 sites of tampering deaths or incidents.

For two decades the "official" position has been that the 1986 deaths were unrelated to the 1982 Chicago Tylenol Murders, and also that the Aurburn deaths were done by Stella Nickell, the Pullman Washington lab worker death was likely suicide, the Austin Texas lab worker death a likely suicide, the Tyler Texas sickening incident causes unknown, the Nashville death a likely suicide and the Yonkers New York and Runnemede New Jersey cases murder but probably unrelated.

Yet when you look at the sites on a map, they show a possible alignment.

And we learned that in 2010, after FBI prime suspect James Lewis apparently did NOT match DNA in the case, the FBI investigated at least one 1986 case, the Yonkers NY murder of Diane Elsroth, for possible links to the 1982 Chicago cases. Lewis was in prison in 1986. The FBI investigated the NY capsules for possible fingerprints and/or DNA. We don't yet know if any was found, but it was reported in the press the traces of silver were found.

And finally, is that really a severe and uneven receding hairline on the UNSUB photographed watching Paula Prince buy tainted Tylenol, or is it a triangle shaped lens flare or obstruction?

Look at the sites for 1986 Tylenol and/or Cyanide incidents, think also of the 1982 Chicago Tylenol Murders, and compare to a map of Ted Kaczynski attacks as the Unabomber.

Auburn, Washington, Chicago, Illinois, Nashville, Tennessee, New Jersey - all Unabomber attack sites, all cyanide sites.

Ted cancelled an early 1986 visit from his brother, saying he would be traveling and looking for work in "warm weather states", setting it back to late September 1986, just the time that the 1986 incidents end, the last one being in New Jersey in early September 1986, a man killed by Cyanide in Lipton Cup a Soup.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx

According to this article below in 1982 people in Colorado were poisoned after consuming OTC medications which contained mercury compounds. Was this done by the same man who put cyanide in Tylenol in Chicago at nearly the same time?

xxxxxx

This item found in Ted Kaczynski's effects indicates he purchased a pound of "MERCURY".

Just as there were massive cyanide spills in Montana, which killed trees, elk, wildlife and contaminated well water, there have also been frequent mercury spills into rivers and lakes. Thus, there is a possible element of "poetic justice" in using the things that the technological industrial society has poisoned the natural world with to poison that society.

Colorado is also not that far from Montana.

One element of caution here, however, would be that if Ted did use mercury as a posion I doubt he would intentionally keep the receipt.

This map shows 1982 product poisoning incidents. Consider it in relation to Kaczynski's cabin in Montana and family home in suburban Chicago, Illinois.

I'm not sure if it has already been answered, but... The Woolworth's in Yorktown mall was still open into the early 1990's. I went there as a kid & I am sure it was still open when I was in 7th grade, which would have been 1992. I think it may have been open even after that. I had an after school job at Ward's in 1996 and Woolworth's was right next to Wards & I think it was still open, even then.

I think, if I worked at Yorktown & had a headache that you have been the place I would have gone to to pick up medicine... She may have not even gotten a reciept. I left stores without reciepts many times...

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    In all the cases, I can think of, like this that were solved, as with Stella Nickell and Christiana Edmunds, the killer turned out to be someone who knew one of the victims. The other victims were just for cover. So, maybe police should concentrate on who would want one of the victims dead or gain from it.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 09-25-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

I have read of the Tylenol Murders of 1982 and another one in 1986. Police profiled the person as someone who is angry at the world. I would not be surprised if Ted Kaczynski is the one behind it. Akwilks makes a very good case that Ted Kaczynski is indeed the Tylenol Poisoner. Kaczynski is truly an evil mastermind.

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    In all the cases, I can think of, like this that were solved, as with Stella Nickell and Christiana Edmunds, the killer turned out to be someone who knew one of the victims. The other victims were just for cover. So, maybe police should concentrate on who would want one of the victims dead or gain from it.
    I remember Joseph Meling, the person who poisoned Sudafed in 1993. It was an insurance scam, like Stella Nickell. Christiana Edmunds was clearly crazy.

Christiana Edmunds
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiana_Edmunds[/ame]

This is a very interesting case. There is a new book on it by Scott Bartz, entitled: “The Tylenol Mafia,” From what I have gathered, he sems to believe the perp was someone involved in the distribution system and Johnson & Johnson, along with Federal and local Law Enforcement engaged in a "cover up". He has a website (http://americanfraud.com/contact.aspx) that I can't say "makes the case" but does contain a lot of interesting information.

There was always a chance that this was really just a ploy to kill one specific target and the whole "mad poisoner" gamut was just a rouse. Supposeivly one victim (never identified) had had a violent confrontation with a family member shortly before his or her death. Apparently that avenue had been explored. The primary argument against the "targeted kill" theory is that all of the deaths occurred in a very short time period (less than 24 hours) and evidence suggests that the primary distribution of the tainted bottles occurred shortly before the first deaths.

There is the possibility that the "intended victim" never actually ingested the poison; perhaps hearing about other deaths and pitching their bottle before any was used. If this is the case, no one will ever know.

The generally accepted "prime suspected" James Lewis is almost certainly not the killer. He did write an extortion letter (in hopes of getting an enemy in a lot of trouble) but the evidence that he was in NYC at the time is pretty strong.

Ted Kaczynski has been suggested as a suspect. He has strong ties to the area and he is certainly a creepy guy and who knows what he is capable off. There is no evidence that he was in the Chicago area at the time and no evidence that he might engage in that type of terrorism.

Scott Bartz's favorite suspect is Roger Arnold who worked on the loading docks of one of the primary distributors of Tylenol in the Chicago area. He has been described as a "soldier of fortune type of guy." He fit the profile to a "t": a loner with anti social tendencies who had a menial job but thought he was real smart. He even bragged that had "possessed" cyanide at the height of the investigation. He was arrested and his apartment was searched. Many unlicensed guns, chemicals commonly used to make bombs and anarchist type literature, but no evidence of involvement. He later killed someone he thought "ratted him out". For whatever reason, LE has formally "ruled him out" while James Lewis has not been.

Soon it will be the 30th anniversary of the Tylenol Murders. The killer was dubbed by Time Magazine "The Tylenol Terrorist".

Nobody has been charged in the case.

Late at night on September 27, 1982 - the 13th anniversary of the Zodiac murders at Lake Berryessa, California - someone put cyanide inside Tylenol bottles.

Based on the research of Doug Oswell, myself AK Wilks and others, the FBI in 2011 asked Ted Kaczynski to give DNA. Ted refused. ABC News reported the FBI would seek a court order to get the DNA.

And that is the last we have heard.

It seems the 30th anniversary will come and go, with no suspect charged.

This is a shame.

WHY WON'T THE FBI FOLLOW UP AND ACTUALLY GET THE DNA OF TED KACZYNSKI?

Why won't the FBI follow through and get the DNA of Ted Kacyznski? What are they hiding from? Or is it just incompetence? Do they care?

PR exec Thomas Mosser who was murdered by Ted in 1994 did personally work on the 1982 Tylenol crisis.

Mosser did not have any computer, high tech or oil compant clients. Thus if he was selected it would seem likely IMO that it was his work for client Johnson & Johnson that caused him to be targeted.
    Last edited by AKWILKS; 09-11-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast