Jim, Tammy Faye Bakker's Son Has Punk Ministry

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
Jay Bakker Preaches In Bars
NEW YORK -- He's tattooed, multi-pierced and preaching God's grace to people who otherwise might be turned away from the church.
Jay Bakker, who rebelled after the fall of his televangelist parents, is a minister in the new reality series "One Punk Under God: the Prodigal Son of Jim and Tammy Faye."

The show, which airs Wednesday evenings on the Sundance Channel, is about the church he calls Revolution, which, notwithstanding his decade-long sobriety, holds services in an Atlanta bar.

Jay Bakker spent his teens self-destructing on alcohol and drugs after his parents' "Praise the Lord" empire collapsed in scandal and his father went to jail for fraud.

But now, Bakker preaches God's grace to a flock of fellow punks.
http://www.wftv.com/family/10515179/detail.html

Good for him. I am glad he could get his life straight.

I give him credit for staying off the drugs and booze, for sure.

I say good for him. He's probably going to get a strong following, because many kids and younger people today tend to be put off by some of the "tsk-tskers" and hoity-toityness of some typical churches, where a strict dress code is mandated etc. It's important for people to feel like they "belong" and I think he's certainly carving a niche where one needs to be carved. I say if he is doing good things in his life, and is encouraging others to also do good things in their lives, then he's very much on the right track.

Oops, I didn't read the article yet, but one I read the other day says his mom (Tammy Faye) is in a hospice now.
:(

My first thought upon reading this thread was, "Well, that makes sense, his parents had a punk ministry for years."

Gee, I'll bet Tammy Faye is real proud, NOT! :doh: Personally, if they were my parents, I think I would've committed suicide!

LinasK said:
Gee, I'll bet Tammy Faye is real proud, NOT! :doh: Personally, if they were my parents, I think I would've committed suicide!
Geeze, That is kind of harsh. I dont agree with everything my parents do but I would NEVER kill myself. I am sure Tammy is proud, he turned out well.

Taximom said:
Oops, I didn't read the article yet, but one I read the other day says his mom (Tammy Faye) is in a hospice now.
:(
She is battling cancer and is in very bad shape right now.

michelle said:
Geeze, That is kind of harsh. I dont agree with everything my parents do but I would NEVER kill myself. I am sure Tammy is proud, he turned out well.
Geeeez, no kidding!

michelle said:
I was thinking the same thing Michelle.

windovervocalcords said:
Hey, did you ever see the movie about Tammy Faye? I love her. Big heart.
I saw it. I really like her too.
:( It is sad she is so ill.

windovervocalcords said:
Too bad. I really like her.
The AP described her condition as "gravely ill" which usually means close to death.

I am not a fan of either her or her ex husband after what they did, but I hope she has gotten right with the Lord since then.

Dark Knight said:
The AP described her condition as "gravely ill" which usually means close to death.

I am not a fan of either her or her ex husband after what they did, but I hope she has gotten right with the Lord since then.
DK for your sake I hope she gets right with you.

Her heart makes her right with the Lord. But what do I know? I'm not a Christian.

You bring out the devil in me Dk. I just want to dip your pigtails in ink! This one's for you babe...

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/o/soldiers.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back