812 users online (120 members and 692 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Man Runs To Catch Toddler Dangling From Window

Two Children Were Playing In Open Second-Floor Window

ARLINGTON, Va. -- It took a second or two for Jaimen Ortiz to fully comprehend what he was seeing: two toddlers playing in an open second-floor window, and one of them hanging from the window sill.

So Ortiz hopped a fence and ran to the apartment building. Just as he got there, the 2-year-old girl fell, screaming. Ortiz put out his arms and caught her cleanly, perhaps saving her life and certainly preventing serious injury.

"If I had delayed one more second, she would have fallen to the ground," Ortiz said through a Spanish interpreter, recalling the Oct. 13 incident.

The toddlers' father was charged with reckless endangerment.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/10523749/detail.html

No wonder so many of our jails are filled and our courts are so full. If this happened when my Mom was a kid, the father would have thanked the man, the kids would be admonished for playing by an open window and that would have been it.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
    No wonder so many of our jails are filled and our courts are so full. If this happened when my Mom was a kid, the father would have thanked the man, the kids would be admonished for playing by an open window and that would have been it.
    Ain't that EXACTLY the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
    That is EXACTLY the truth. I actually fell from a 2nd story balcony when I was a child, and it wasn't from neglect. I was fine, I fell to the grass and the paramedics came, looked me over and gave me back to my mom. I don't even remember it but my mom kept me on a leash after that, and I do remember the leash. It was a harness that buckled around the chest area. I actually liked it because it kept me close to my mom.

Also Eric Clapton's son died this way from a much higher fall, and I don't believe anyone was ever charged. Sometimes accidents are just accidents. Now if the father was passed out drunk or on drugs he should be charged, but not for an accident.

Kudos to the man who caught the baby, anyway.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for pretending to be someone I'm not.

My generation .... "X" and generation "Y" as a whole need to learn some values.

It's obviously not all of us, but enough of us.

thank the sweet Lord for this man saving this child.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.