705 users online (102 members and 603 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397

    Lou Dobbs: Bah Humbug! to the politically correct

    Great article on CNN.com today by Lou Dobbs. I completely agree with everything here.

    NEW YORK (CNN) -- Merry Christmas! That's right, Merry Christmas. Whether you're Christian, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, pagan, barbarian or whatever, Merry Christmas!

    It's what most of us say in this country come this time of year. It's about who we are, where we are and where we've been. And all the namby-pamby, little sensitive darlings among us who can't handle this verbal assault on their delicate senses should immediately begin seeking emergency psychiatric care.

    This week we were treated to the spectacle of an easily offended and highly offensive rabbi who walked into an airport, gazed upon Christmas trees all around him and suddenly was overwhelmed with an immense, and apparently irresistible, urge to sue the management of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport because nowhere among all the Christmas trees was a single menorah. Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement of Seattle even delivered to the airport's management a draft of a lawsuit he would file if they didn't sprinkle menorahs around the Christmas trees.

    Political correctness in this country reached an entirely new level of absurdity some years ago. But occasionally, and the situation at Sea-Tac is just such an occasion, we exceed ourselves. The militant fundamentalist rabbi so flummoxed Sea-Tac management with his threat and their perceived obligation to be "politically correct" that, rather than think rationally or simply tell him to stuff it, they started hacking away at all those artificial Christmas trees and quickly descended into a public relations nightmare in which they managed to offend reason, cultural values and the vast majority of Americans.

    more: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/12/Dobbs.Dec13/index.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    Great article on CNN.com today by Lou Dobbs. I completely agree with everything here.

    NEW YORK (CNN) -- Merry Christmas! That's right, Merry Christmas. Whether you're Christian, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, pagan, barbarian or whatever, Merry Christmas!

    It's what most of us say in this country come this time of year. It's about who we are, where we are and where we've been. And all the namby-pamby, little sensitive darlings among us who can't handle this verbal assault on their delicate senses should immediately begin seeking emergency psychiatric care.

    This week we were treated to the spectacle of an easily offended and highly offensive rabbi who walked into an airport, gazed upon Christmas trees all around him and suddenly was overwhelmed with an immense, and apparently irresistible, urge to sue the management of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport because nowhere among all the Christmas trees was a single menorah. Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement of Seattle even delivered to the airport's management a draft of a lawsuit he would file if they didn't sprinkle menorahs around the Christmas trees.

    Political correctness in this country reached an entirely new level of absurdity some years ago. But occasionally, and the situation at Sea-Tac is just such an occasion, we exceed ourselves. The militant fundamentalist rabbi so flummoxed Sea-Tac management with his threat and their perceived obligation to be "politically correct" that, rather than think rationally or simply tell him to stuff it, they started hacking away at all those artificial Christmas trees and quickly descended into a public relations nightmare in which they managed to offend reason, cultural values and the vast majority of Americans.

    more: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/12/Dobbs.Dec13/index.html
    LOL! I like Lou. I read that some of the office workers at Sea-Tac brought in small Christmas trees of their own and placed them on their counters and desks, along with the original large trees!

    ETA...He mentions the Supreme Court ruling that I mentioned earlier:
    As CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin told me, "The Supreme Court has held since 1984, the famous 'Reindeer Rule,' that if a symbol of Christmas is mostly secular, like a reindeer or a Christmas tree or Santa Claus, that is not a violation of the separation of church and state."


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,186

    Lou Dobbs does not particularly bother me, but Jay Sekulow...

    ...is extremely offensive, and dangerous...

    http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1130499506270

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    LOL! I like Lou.
    I do too. He seems to say things that give a swift kick in the butt to his targets and I usually end up agreeing with him.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by cappuccina
    ...is extremely offensive, and dangerous...

    http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1130499506270
    If people like you think he is dangerous, then he must be doing his job. Go Jay!


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    If and when Jesus comes again, I hope He sues.

    The general mean spiritedness perpetrated in His name is surely libelous.

    Yes, Sea Tac should keep its Christmas trees. But Lou Dobbs and the rest of you who feel compelled to gloat over this should be ashamed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    If and when Jesus comes again, I hope He sues.

    The general mean spiritedness perpetrated in His name is surely libelous.

    Yes, Sea Tac should keep its Christmas trees. But Lou Dobbs and the rest of you who feel compelled to gloat over this should be ashamed.
    Why? I'm not gloating, and I have nothing to be ashamed of. How dare you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    I do too. He seems to say things that give a swift kick in the butt to his targets and I usually end up agreeing with him.
    Right, Paladin, no gloating in this thread.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397
    I just read your sig...I'd say you're at your worst right now. For arguments sake let's say I was gloating. Over what? Putting oversensitive babies in their place? Oh no! The horror!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    I just read your sig...I'd say you're at your worst right now. For arguments sake let's say I was gloating. Over what? Putting oversensitive babies in their place? Oh no! The horror!
    Cynicism and snarliness is not Christmasy. Lou Dobbs shoving his Merry Christmas in everyone's face and putting down objections does nothing for the spirit of the holiday.

    Openheartedness, generosity, kindness and compassion are Christmasey JMO

    I guess if I were to practice kindness, openness and generosity in this thread than I'd have to be open to all the unkindedness, tightness and meanness in the thread too.

    If I could take on all the nastiness done in the name of Christmas so that there would truly be peace on earth for even one moment I would be willing.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    I just read your sig...I'd say you're at your worst right now. For arguments sake let's say I was gloating. Over what? Putting oversensitive babies in their place? Oh no! The horror!
    This is at least the fourth thread where I have spoken out against the "War on Christmas" nonsense. I promise you I am not "making up" my feelings on this subject.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    I just read your sig...I'd say you're at your worst right now. For arguments sake let's say I was gloating. Over what? Putting oversensitive babies in their place? Oh no! The horror!
    If you want respect, be respectful. If you want to be treated kindly by others, be kind.

    Can't get more Christ in Christmas than that.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    Right, Paladin, no gloating in this thread.
    I don't see any. (Maybe celebrating, at most.)


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    I don't see any. (Maybe celebrating, at most.)
    Oh, DK, if only you would let me guide you, what a fine man you would be!

    (This is supposed to be a friendly gibe, not a snark.)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords
    Gloating is malicious satisfaction. Enjoying your "whatever" at someone else's pain or expense.

    Very Christmasy. Not
    I didn't realize you were the authority on what was Christmasy. What Dobbs says is inline with my feelings not only about political correctness during the holiday season, but the whole year around.

    Obviously you picked out the parts of the article you disliked and ignored the part where he balanced it off encouraging non-Christians to go ahead and enjoy their holiday without worrying about offending others.

    You, Nova, and others who are sensitive about this kind of thing are overly obnoxious. You know why people are a little nicer around Christmas? Because they are (hopefully) receiving presents and getting time off of work, not because they genuinely like one another. Stop pretending.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast