1383 users online (244 members and 1139 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Exclamation Year's Best Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight

The Geminid meteor shower, a reliable annual display, peaks tonight and into the pre-dawn. For skywatchers with dark, clear skies, this dazzling display should produce up to 120 meteors per hour.

The best time to watch is tonight or anytime between midnight and dawn Thursday.

Unlike the highly-touted Leonid meteor shower, which disappointed many skywatchers last month, the Geminids are known for dependability.

"Start watching on Wednesday evening, Dec. 13, around 9 p.m. local time," said Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. "The display will start small but grow in intensity as the night wears on. By Thursday morning, Dec. 14, people in dark, rural areas could see one or two meteors every minute."

The Geminids are bits of debris cast off by 3200 Phaeton, a strange asteroid-like object that scientists think might be a burned-out comet. "No one can decide what it is," Cooke said.

The object orbits the Sun and crosses the path of Earth's orbit. Pieces of material typically no larger than a pea vaporize as they slam into Earth's atmosphere.

Geminids tend to be slow compared to other shooting stars, and some of them will be very bright.

"This shower has a reputation for being rich both in slow, bright, graceful meteors and fireballs as well as faint meteors, with relatively fewer objects of medium brightness," said Joe Rao, SPACE.com's skywatching columnist. "Many appear yellowish in hue. Some even appear to form jagged or divided paths."

Viewing tips and more at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200612...ight&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Thanks, DK. For the first time, I live in a place where night lighting is restricted and there is very low humidity. I'll look for the "falling stars."

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    Thanks, DK. For the first time, I live in a place where night lighting is restricted and there is very low humidity. I'll look for the "falling stars."
    Just don't fall in the ocean wandering around in the dark, LOL! Chompy chompy! Nova---> <--opportunistic gator/sharky

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Thumbs down

Normally, we can see these showers from our penthouse balcony but this year, there's a huge pacific storm blowing in.

I saw several of them about 2am this morning, including one really bright one. It wasn't quite as intense as the article made it sound, but it was pretty cool! (And COLD, lol.)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

DARN IT! Why do I always find out about these amazing things after the fact???

We couldn't see a thing for all the fog! Last months were a bust too. I wanted to see shooting stars!!

Your opportunities haven't ended yet....from the article:

While (Wednesday night) and Thursday morning offer the best bet, up to 30 or even 60 meteors per hour might grace the skies Thursday night and Friday morning. The shower, which got going last weekend, will then taper off rapidly, offering a few stragglers into the weekend.

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

What time should we look in the sky? Can we see anything as long as it is dark or do I have to be up at 2 a.m.??

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    What time should we look in the sky? Can we see anything as long as it is dark or do I have to be up at 2 a.m.??
    Read the article for viewing tips, it might be different for each area.

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.