GUILTY AR - Bob & Jerrod Castleman for mailing copperhead snake to foe, Pocahontas, 2002

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (Reuters) -- An Arkansas lawyer and his son will soon be heading to prison after pleading guilty to mailing a threatening communication -- a poisonous snake.

Bob Sam Castleman, an attorney and former city judge in Pocahontas, Arkansas, and his son, Jerrod, were charged with mailing a cardboard box containing a venomous copperhead snake to a neighbor with whom they had feuded. The two pleaded guilty in federal court on Wednesday.

Story from CNN Law
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/29/snake.conviction.reut/index.html

When I saw the titled of your thread, I thought you were going to tell us he mailed himself! LOL

:crazy: :crazy:

LP Moderator said:
When I saw the titled of your thread, I thought you were going to tell us he mailed himself! LOL

:crazy: :crazy:
Not a chance! I love my lawyer... about 10 years ago she made me a very wealthy woman... not a money worry for the rest of my life (or my daughter's... or her childrens.. (if she has some) and so on and so on)

Acutally my lawyer is a 'little person' I guess is the politically correct term.. (a midget) but my goodness what a fighter she is and what spirit she has.

She is amazing, the first time I met her I was taken aback, I had spoken to her on the phone but had no idea about her size.

Good things come in small packages ~ she has had an uphill battle her whole like, she is very frank about discussing it - it was interesting when she told me many times she is not taken seriously (at first) in the court room but by the end of the day she is taller than anyone inthe room -
2fouetaa.gif

She is an amazing woman although the people I took to court may think she is a snake....
2verymad.gif

I however, am forever in her debt.
2Crush.gif

"I however, am forever in her debt. "

That begs the question...it would eat into that big settlement, no?

Money doesn't buy class, JMO, though.

That wasn't the end of the Castlemans' misadventures. A feature article from April 2015 paints the bigger picture:

http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/a-killing-in-pocahontas/Content?oid=3811759

The snake had been mailed in a cardboard box filled with green packing peanuts, and it was Staton's wife who opened it while sitting in the front seat of their car. It "popped out" facing her, she said, and she threw it out of the vehicle onto the ground, trapping it under the box. Sheriff's deputies rushed to the scene and shot the snake, which was then preserved in an ethanol jar by a snake pathologist. The jar would later turn up during the trial, where it was held up in front of the jurors, so they could get a clear look...

Castleman went on to deliver an extended monologue at the sentencing hearing in 2004. "I made the mistake of taking the law into my own hands," he concluded. Judge George Howard Jr., heard his apology and was moved. "Once a sinner, not always a sinner," Howard proclaimed gravely. "I'm a strong believer in that scriptural concept." Castleman was disbarred and sentenced to 27 months in prison. However, the judge said in closing, "I'm persuaded that you have seen the light."

The first raid on Pocahontas came a month after the meth lab was discovered on Castleman's farm, in May 2011. A tactical meeting was called at 5 a.m. May 9 at the Arkansas State Police's Company F headquarters in Jonesboro. None of the officers had been briefed on the day's assignment beforehand. The FBI headed the operation, and other departments were also in attendance, though the Pocahontas Police Department was conspicuously absent. It soon emerged that the city's police force was kept in the dark because it was among the targets of the investigation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Letters
Back