3 year old killed when family members move vehicles

Mira

Country Girl
Reaction score
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4408569.html

this is so sad. something like this happened in my family long before i was born. my great uncle and his wife tried for 20 years to have a baby boy. they had 9 girls and then, finally, their dream came true. when the little boy was 7, his daddy accidentally ran over him while backing up his tractor. killed him instantly. the daddy was never the same. he told his wife he didnt want to live. she told him he still had younguns to raise, so he did.

about 10 years later, his last daughter got married. he went to bed right after the wedding and died in his sleep.

Oh, Mira, how sad for your family and this family in the news.

Your great uncle's heart must have been so broken. :(

Mira said:

this is so sad. something like this happened in my family long before i was born. my great uncle and his wife tried for 20 years to have a baby boy. they had 9 girls and then, finally, their dream came true. when the little boy was 7, his daddy accidentally ran over him while backing up his tractor. killed him instantly. the daddy was never the same. he told his wife he didnt want to live. she told him he still had younguns to raise, so he did.

about 10 years later, his last daughter got married. he went to bed right after the wedding and died in his sleep.
That's heatbreaking, Mira.

Oh, Mira, that's such a sad story from your family! It's amazing what happens once people have lost the will to live.

And what an awful thing to happen to the family in Texas. That sort of thing really scares me, because it really could happen to just about anyone.

I am terrified of something like this happening. I have a 2 year old daughter, an SUV, and 2 step children that drive. I worry about this constantly.

After reading this article yesterday, I was waiting for the car repair guy to back my car out of the garage area and had to stand in the driveway because someone's child was dancing around just near enough that I was worried about him. The parents were there, but each on cellphones and, though paying attention, they were distracted and didn't see the car was going to back out.

As I stood there in the driveway, ready to block the boy from dancing in the path of a car - a car drove up fast from another direction and nearly took ME out.

*sigh* Children should come with velcro so we can keep them out of harm's way until they are 18.

Mira said:

Mira, that is so sad. Something similar happened in my family, too. A younger cousin of mine was backed over by her dad when she was 2. They lived like 2 blocks from a hospital and my uncle picked Christy up and ran to the hospital with her, but she died in his arms. :(
This family went on to have like 12 more kids...I think subconsciously in some way they were trying to make sure they had plenty of children in case they lost another, or something, but you can't ever replace a precious child.

These stories make me so sad. I cannot imagine the agony of the parents.

I'm paranoid about this too after knowing of two families (friends of friends, etc.) who have had this happen.

I had a cousin who was backed over by a grain truck. The back wheel ran over his stomach. His dad was driving it. He miraculously survived aftermonths in the hospital with no long term effects of the accident.

this also reminds me of those stories where the kid's jackets or backpacks get caught in the doors and their parents drive away dragging them for blocks. it makes me sick to even think about doing that. :( i always make sure i can see my kids far away from the car before i ever drive away or back up.

angelmom said:
These stories make me so sad. I cannot imagine the agony of the parents.

I'm paranoid about this too after knowing of two families (friends of friends, etc.) who have had this happen.

It happened in a friend's family when I was a kid. I don't think the parents every recovered. They finally divorced (when that was unusual) and that was the least of it!

i once thought i hit my friends little girl, and it literally made me sick for days, even though no harm was done.

to get to my friends house, you had to open a cattle gate, drive through, then close the gate and drive about half a mile on a dirt road.

linda was about 7, and she got off the bus at the driveway, just after i closed the gate. i didnt see her there, and was going up the driveway, when i heard a THUMP in the front of my car. i was going very slow, and would have seen any of the kids coming towards me, but still...

i jumped out, frantically looking under and around my car, seeing her bag right under the front bumper and scared to death. then i heard her laughing. turns out she wanted a ride to the house, and threw her bookbag at my car when i didnt stop.

i nearly fainted, sat down shaking and bawling my eyes out. poor linda...i dont think she had any idea what she had done to upset me so bad, but she ran to her house and got her mama to come see about me.

about 2 months ago, linda, now 16, told me she remembered that day well. she remembered that she didnt get a spanking, and that she deserved one. she said that day she knew i really loved her. we both cried...

I recommend every person who has a car get a guardian back up alarm. They are about $100.00 dollars and worth every penny. Some cars even come with them now. For those of you who do not know this is a sensor that is on the back of your car that goes off if you get to near an object in the path of the car backing up. It is great for tight parking spaces at the mall as well as watching out for small objects and children. Ever ran over the kids bikes in the driveway? Who knew it could have been prevented. And no before you ask I do not sell the back up alarms just a safety freak who loves gadgets...

crash676 said:
I recommend every person who has a car get a guardian back up alarm. They are about $100.00 dollars and worth every penny. Some cars even come with them now. For those of you who do not know this is a sensor that is on the back of your car that goes off if you get to near an object in the path of the car backing up. It is great for tight parking spaces at the mall as well as watching out for small objects and children. Ever ran over the kids bikes in the driveway? Who knew it could have been prevented. And no before you ask I do not sell the back up alarms just a safety freak who loves gadgets...
I have never heard of this. Thanks, crash676.

We have tons of little children in our neighborhood that are of the age where they don't always look for cars pulling out of driveways. Don't even bother asking me where their parents are. :furious: Plus some leave their bikes and other things on the sidewalk close to our driveway. I'm always scared I'll hit something or someone.

Taximom said:
I have never heard of this. Thanks, crash676.

We have tons of little children in our neighborhood that are of the age where they don't always look for cars pulling out of driveways. Don't even bother asking me where their parents are. :furious: Plus some leave their bikes and other things on the sidewalk close to our driveway. I'm always scared I'll hit something or someone.
I have one that is installed in my license plate frame, so I can take it from car to car.

This was a terrible accident. I feel so bad for the family of the child involved. It also happened to a little boy I used to babysit:(.
His dad backed over him. Totally by accident. I have never seen a worse tragedy firsthand:(
(no I didnt see the actual event, just the ambulances arriving and everyone tring to revive him)

the mom and dad were both church teachers in my family. I remember his mom telling me everything step-by-step how it happened and that it must have been God choosing the boy's time to go, and I agree. I went to the little boys funeral, as of course I was his babysitter and loved him very much.

My prayers go out to this family.

I was quite young when I was the babysitter of the boy that had the same tragedy befall him, (I was 12, he was 5) I still remember seeing my little
baby-friend in the coffin with stitches around his neck.:(

I still think of his parents to this day. I love them, they were like my aunt and uncle although we were not related by blood.

Now that I am a grown-up, it makes me cry for them just to think about it. When it happened and I was younger, I used to cry for my little friend. but I know without a doubt that it must have been his time to go. He was a little angel and God decided to take him back for one of His own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back