1086 users online (249 members and 837 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TX - Debra Stewart, 19, Austin, 21 May 1976

Debra Kay Stewart
    Missing since May 21, 1976 from Austin, Travis County, Texas
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: September 5, 1956
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 130 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. brown eyes; black hair.
    Marks, Scars: Scar on one breast.
    Clothing: She was last seen wearing blue patchwork jeans, a blue long sleeved blouse with white stitching, a blue bandana, a wide belt and brown shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Debra Kay Stewart was last seen in Austin, TX on May 21, 1976. Her vehicle was recovered in Austin. Foul Play Possible.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Texas Department of Public Safety 512-424-5074

Source Information:

Texas Department of Public Safety
    The Doe Network: Case File 2159DFTX

LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/

Debra Kay Stewart, 19 - Missing Since: 21 May 1976 from Austin TX

Debra Kay STEWART
    RULED OUT BY DNA

Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse Online Bulletin

Missing Person Details

Date Picture Updated: 12/12/2006

Name: Debra Kay Stewart
    Case Number: M0612010
    Case Type: Endangered - Foul Play Possible
    Last Seen in: Austin (Travis County)
    Last Seen on: 5/21/1976
    Height: 5' 1 "
    Weight: 130 lbs.
    Age Missing: 19
    Eye Color: Brown
    Hair Color: Black
    Date of Birth: 9/5/1956
    Race: Black
    Sex: Female
    State Missing From: Texas
    Country Missing From: USA
    Circumstances: Ms. Stewart has a scar on one breast. She was last seen wearing blue patchwork jeans, a blue long sleeved blouse with white stitching, a blue bandana, a wide belt and brown shoes. Her vehicle was recovered in Austin.
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/mp...1:51:41PM'

Debra Kay Stewart, 19, Missing since May 21, 1976 from Austin, TX

Debra Kay Stewart
    Missing since May 21, 1976 from Austin, Travis County, Texas
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 5, 1956
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 130 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. brown eyes; black hair.
    Marks, Scars: Scar on one breast.
    Clothing: She was last seen wearing blue patchwork jeans, a blue long sleeved blouse with white stitching, a blue bandana, a wide belt and brown shoes.
    DNA: Available in CODIS

Circumstances of Disappearance

Debra Stewart was last seen leaving her job at Sears in South Austin on May 21, 1976.

Stewart, a communications student, lived in an apartment in the 2700 block of Manor Road. She supposedly left Sears to go see a doctor because she hadn't been feeling well. She had a chronic kidney condition.

Her abandoned car was found two days later, with the keys in the ignition. No signs of foul play were found in her car or apartment.

Investigators searched in several states. Her parents hired a private detective, who was unable to turn up additional clues.

Foul Play Possible.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

512-424-5074

NCIC Number: M-994725842
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

Austin American-Statesman
    The Doe Network: Case File 2159DFTX

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2159dftx.html

Debra has a NamUs file and I am considering her for the black female UID found in Houston on Sept 30, 1976. The UID was killed after she jumped out of a truck. The UID is slightly taller, but at 19 might she have grown?? I wish there was a better picture of Debra! WARNING MORGE PHOTO

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8671/70/

http://www.harriscountytx.gov/CmpDoc...09-30-4492.pdf

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4565
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For I the Lord thy God will hold they right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. ~Is 41:13

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Mom View Post
    Debra has a NamUs file and I am considering her for the black female UID found in Houston on Sept 30, 1976. The UID was killed after she jumped out of a truck. The UID is slightly taller, but at 19 might she have grown?? I wish there was a better picture of Debra! WARNING MORGE PHOTO

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8671/70/

http://www.harriscountytx.gov/CmpDoc...09-30-4492.pdf

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4565
    What a beautiful lady.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Here is a side by side. In the four months she could have loss some weight, but I question the bottom lip on the deceased. Hmmmmm....any feedback? WARNING MORGUE PHOTO
    For I the Lord thy God will hold they right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. ~Is 41:13

There are articles from the time mentioning her, on Newspapers.com. Can't post and don't have a membership with them, but from what I can see:

She was supposed to visit her family after that doctor's appointment that she did not attend.

Listed is her adoptive father Willie A. Stewart, who owns a laundry in Houston. He has a wife and a son (presumably Debra's brother). Another article indicates her brother is also named Willie, age 23 and a student at Prairie View A&M University.

Also listed is her "natural mother", Mrs. Marguerite Rittenhouse.

Also, "Debra had a disagreement with her boyfriend last week, but she later told relatives the dispute was resolved."

According to the article, Debra did NOT have a doctor's appointment that Friday when she disappeared.

Her family thought whether she may have run away, but say "But she lived alone - she was on her own. Why would she run away?" Mrs. Rittenhouse also mentioned that Debra was very particular about her car, didn't like other people driving it in case they scratched it, that sort of thing. Also, Debra was a communications major.

Interesting, she had Houston ties! Her is a picture of the Doe ala CarlK:

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Mom View Post
    Here is a side by side. In the four months she could have loss some weight, but I question the bottom lip on the deceased. Hmmmmm....any feedback? WARNING MORGUE PHOTO

Any ideas how we can get a better picture of Debra?
    Is there budget or plan to exhume the UID for DNA?

Debra Stewart has no dentals/fingerprints but it says this on DNA: Sample available - Not yet submitted

The UID has dentals and fingerprints.

KateB, I have suggested a better match for this UID and CarlK has started a thread. Let's hope Debra's DNA gets done!!

TX TX - Harris Co. BlkFem UP4565, 25-35, Green Turtleneck Sweater, Sep'76 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 04-04-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

37 years ago, there could be jurisdictional blindness, though and the timeline is perfect. Although there is a height descrepancy.
    I'll still keep looking for any information and pictures for Debra. I've viewed her profile on NamUs many times and would like to be able to find anything to keep her thread here active.

Quote Originally Posted by KateB View Post

Debra Stewart has no dentals/fingerprints but it says this on DNA: Sample available - Not yet submitted

This WS thread say Debra Stewart's DNA has been used to rule her out on a UID. So it must be complete, EH?

Ruled out Debra Kay Stewart, 19 - Missing Since: 21 May 1976 from Austin TX - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 04-04-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that Debra's case was believed to be connected in some way to the disappearance of Jennifer Joyce Barton in Austin on May 16, 1976.

http://charleyproject.org/cases/b/barton_jennifer.html

Based on this new information about Debra and what little we know about Jennifer's disappearance, however, I think the timing is just an odd coincidence and that the two cases are unrelated. The only things that the two cases seem to have in common are:

* Both happened in Austin.
    * Both women were black.
    * Both women were around the same age.
    * The disappearances happened within days of one another.

Other than that, there's nothing really similar about the cases. Unless Debra and Jennifer knew each other, I think the case are totally unrelated, especially given that Jennifer was apparently involved in illegal activities and unsavory people.

Quote Originally Posted by KateB View Post

Not sure about pictures... I thought I had found some, a Debra Stewart at Kaufman High School in Kaufman, TX that was a senior around the time Debra could conceivably been one (class of 1974, which would fit with Debra being a sophmore at university I think)? However, Kaufman doesn't fit the Houston connection, and to be honest the Kaufman Debra doesn't look much at all like THIS Debra. Also, having looked a little more, the family did have a greater connection with Houston - Willie Jr was born in Houston and worked in Houston after college, Willie Sr & Wife lived there since at least 1940 or so... Willie Sr died in 1984. Also, in case this is ever relevant, Mr & Mrs Stewart were significantly older. By the time of Debra's disappearance, Mr Stewart (Sr) would have been about 70, and his wife only a few years younger.

So unless Debra was living away from her family during high school, I don't think that's her.

I might try to find out where her brother went to high school, which could MAYBE be where she went to high school as well.
    Last edited by alllads; 01-21-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Debra is mentioned in this Fox7 article posted this week.
    http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/274...-travis-county
    Missing Women in Travis County
    What could be worse than to have your mother, sister, or child missing and no one has any idea why? In Travis County there are 48 women missing and their families are running out of options.
    video & more at link.

5852021_G.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast