FDA wants sterner pain reliever warnings

Dark Knight

Reaction score
ap_small.gif

Federal health officials on Tuesday proposed sterner warning labels for acetaminophen, aspirin and ibuprofen, again cautioning millions of Americans who take the nonprescription pain relievers regularly of potentially serious side effects.

The over-the-counter drugs remain safe and effective when used as directed, the Food and Drug Administration said. However, overdoses of acetaminophen can cause serious liver damage, even death, the FDA said.

For aspirin, ibuprofen and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, there is a risk of gastrointestinal bleeding and kidney injury even when patients take the correct dose. The drug are linked to thousands of deaths a year. The FDA said the risk is rare when compared to the number of patients who take the drugs.

The drugs are found in hundreds of products sold to treat pain, headache and fever. Health officials worry that the wide availability of those combination products allows patients to unwittingly overdose.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061219/ap_on_bi_ge/pain_reliever_warning&printer=1

Important reminder, DK. I know I'm guilty in this regard. Thanks.

This is so true and an important message.
Last February I came close to dying when I saw symtoms of bleediing internally after I stood up and almost passed out that morning.

I had lost a lot of blood. An endoscopy was done and they found FIVE bleeding ulcers from my over- doing aspirin.

I have several painful conditions and had been taking too much aspirin for years but my inards finally said ENOUGH!
I now must take only presciption pain relief meds. No aspirin ever again.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974
Back