MD MD - Laurel, in woods near Rte 197, WhtFem 19-25, UP2334, poor dentition, poss looked older, Dec'72

Richard

Reaction score
Found 34 years, still unidentified...

Unidentified White Female
The victim was discovered on December 1, 1972 in Prince George's County, Maryland
Estimated Date of Death: 6 months prior to discovery
Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: Late teens - mid-twenties
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Reddish-blonde hair. She probably did not have children.
Dentals: Extensive dental work, probably performed by two dentists. She had had an abscess that worked right through the gum.
Clothing/Jewelry: An inexpensive ring was discovered with the body, too corroded to be identified, and one mildewed article of clothing.

Case History
The victim was located in Prince George's County, Maryland near Baltimore-Washington Parkway and Rte. 197, near Laurel.
Strands of reddish-blond hair were located at the scene.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Prince George's County Police Department
Cold Case Unit 301-772-4925

Source Information:
The Washington Post Company, October 13, 1988
The Doe Network: Case File 385UFMD

LINK:
http://doenetwork.org/cases/385ufmd.html

Namus link with details of the dentals. No rule outs listed. It says no clothing or accessories, DN says there was one article of mildewed clothing. The page was last modified this month.
https://identifyus.org/cases/2334

385UFMD.jpg

what about this young woman... the height matches and i think there is natural red tinge in her hair.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1206dfnj.html

I am just going on the written description.... I not sure that the reconstruction is that helpful.

I agree with you on the quality of the reconstruction.

But as for this being Charlotte Loomis - I doubt it. A six-year error in the age estimate of an adult is plausible. But the skeletal characteristics of a 14-year old are much different from those of a 20-year old. Someone would have to screw up pretty badly to make that much of an error estimating the age of a young teenager.

ok then back to the drawing board.... one question what about ( talking in general) a young woman who at 14 years may have reached her adult height and size ( including foot size) and could have gone through puberty at 10.5 years old, would experts be able to pick that she was 14 years as opposed to 18 years of age?

ok then back to the drawing board.... one question what about ( talking in general) a young woman who at 14 years may have reached her adult height and size ( including foot size) and could have gone through puberty at 10.5 years old, would experts be able to pick that she was 14 years as opposed to 18 years of age?

Typically, they rely on more than height to make an age estimate. The teeth and the growth plates at the ends of the long bones will very reliably tell a teenager's age within about a two-year range.

I realise that Lynne is still two years younger than the bottom estimate for age and this means Lynne would have lived for another 6 months or so before meeting her untimely death but that is possible. Maybe Lynne was having problems at university and thought she was going to flunk so decided to take time out.

It looks like it would be fairly straightforward to check.
Lynne Schulze's Namus page https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6975/0/ says her dentals are available and entered in the system. Jane Doe has several teeth missing postmortem but there might be enough info to rule LS out.

I meant to say that some people especially of Irish\scottish descent can have light brown hair with a blonde reddish tinge to it.... Does anyone thing it could be worth calling in?

Jane Doe has been nameless for nearly 40 years, and I suppose it might not have taken that long to identify her if it was someone who was completely obvious in every way. I don't see how it would hurt to ask. Since they both have dentals available it could be an easy ruleout.

Looking at Lynne Kathryn Schulze doenetwork notes - its seems really odd that she would go back to her room to get a pencil when friends or even other classmates would have lent her the pencil for the exam surely? Please would there be anyone in the United States who would be able to call this in for me as the time zones dont work very well? Also I am not sure how serious they would take it if I say that I am calling from New Zealand.

there is no harm in submitting the possible match. the age and height are close. the light brown hair for Lynne Schulze does not exactly correspond to the strands of reddish blonde hair found near the body,but they do not say explicitly the hair found belonged to the UID. we have seen some reconstructions that frankly did not look like the missing person when they were later identified.

why not send an email to the contact for the UID and missing person and see what response you get?

Sure I am happy too, but concern is as my email address finishes with nz, people wont give it a second glance, because the email is not from an united states email address.

Sure I am happy too, but concern is as my email address finishes with nz, people wont give it a second glance, because the email is not from an united states email address.

oh, you might be right about that. I could send it for you but I'll be away from my laptop for a few days.

if no one else volunteers, then I'll fire off an email Sunday or Monday for you.

Cathy Marie Moulton
Missing since September 24, 1971 from Portland, Cumberland County, Maine.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: June 28, 1955
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2, 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; blue eyes. She wore thick eyeglasses with a heavy dark plastic frame.
Marks, Scars: Moulton has scars on both of her feet due to wart removal. She has a white spot on her left elbow. Moulton has flat moles scattered across her back.
Clothing: A navy blue all-weather coat, navy blue pant dress, brown shoes and a brown leather clutch purse.
Dentals: Available. Moulton had her four eye teeth removed and braces on her teeth at the time of her disappearance. Her teeth were in good condition.
DNA: mtDNA available.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Moulton was a junior at Deering High School when she disappeared on September 24, 1971. She planned to go to a dance that evening at the YWCA and asked her father if he'd drop her downtown so she could buy a new pair of pantyhose and a tube of toothpaste. She got out at Cumberland Avenue.

Cathy finished her errands. She stopped by a downtown music store and told a girlfriend she was heading home to get ready for the dance and would see her at the dance that evening. Then she started out on foot down Forest Avenue for the 1.5-mile walk home.

That was the last time anyone who knew her saw Cathy Moulton.

When Moulton disappeared, she had in her possession a new pair of pantyhose for the dance that evening - the pair she was wearing had a run; two tubes of toothpaste, her house key, and a small Mexican handbag that didn't even contain enough money for the city bus fare

Link: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/20dfme.html

------
Moulton's NamUs page;

Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/3977

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads