1147 users online (215 members and 932 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    202

    Baby Put Through L.A. Airport X-Ray Machine

    LOS ANGELES A woman mistakenly put her 1-month-old grandson through an X-ray machine at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities said.

    A startled security worker noticed the shape of a child on the carry-on baggage screening monitor and immediately pulled him out, the Los Angeles Times reported for a story in Wednesday's editions.

    Click here to read the Los Angeles Times' story.

    The infant was taken to a local hospital, where doctors determined he did not receive a dangerous dose of radiation.

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,237742,00.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,959
    Oh my. Whay on earth would someone do that?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,839
    Good Lord... next thing you know they'll have to spend millions of dollars with our US tax dollars to retrofit all airports to put a baby-in-a-bin graphic up in a red circle with a slash mark. Just stay in Mexico next time

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    1,568
    Some people are just incredibly stupid. I honestly don't know how some people live in the world today and actually survive without being killed by their own idiocy.

  5. #5
    curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Tarheel State - Go HEELS!
    Posts
    1,893

    And the Idiot of the Year Award goes to............

    oh, wait, we have a last minute nominee.

    That would be a tough award to give out, oh so many people to choose from.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,189


    Quote Originally Posted by ISPTRAX
    Good Lord... next thing you know they'll have to spend millions of dollars with our US tax dollars to retrofit all airports to put a baby-in-a-bin graphic up in a red circle with a slash mark. Just stay in Mexico next time
    thats exactly what I am thinking

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPTRAX
    Good Lord... next thing you know they'll have to spend millions of dollars with our US tax dollars to retrofit all airports to put a baby-in-a-bin graphic up in a red circle with a slash mark. Just stay in Mexico next time
    That was really racist....
    Being Spanish was not the issue here... being stupid was...
    and sadly that happens with all races.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    That was really racist....
    Being Spanish was not the issue here... being stupid was...
    and sadly that happens with all races.
    I can't speak for the poster that said that but I don't think he meant anything racist. i think he meant if you can't read english or grasp enough of it to not do something as totally stupid as putting a baby in an xray machine then it's best to stay in your country and not venture out into unfarmiliar territory. if they had been Canadian I am sure the poster would have said go back to Canada.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    I am sorry if I took it wrong....

    The airport did have signs in spanish.

    I still contend the issue was stupidity in any language.... I mean you (general you... not you personally) think the baby was carry on luggage??

    Cleary the grandmother did ..... its almost funny.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    BAY AREA
    Posts
    10,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    I am sorry if I took it wrong....

    The airport did have signs in spanish.

    I still contend the issue was stupidity in any language.... I mean you (general you... not you personally) think the baby was carry on luggage??

    Cleary the grandmother did ..... its almost funny.
    can we say No harm no foul??? The baby was fine after getting checked out at a Hospital.
    TYBEE U WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED AND LOVED.


    http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=61288


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,299
    What about those poor TSA screeners? I never thought about it, but you KNOW they are getting fallout radiation, every day, all day, for their $12 an hour.

    I already worry about my flight attendant friends--cancer rates are known to be higher among them--but now with these extra-strong body scanners to pass through every day?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters
    I can't speak for the poster that said that but I don't think he meant anything racist. i think he meant if you can't read english or grasp enough of it to not do something as totally stupid as putting a baby in an xray machine then it's best to stay in your country and not venture out into unfarmiliar territory. if they had been Canadian I am sure the poster would have said go back to Canada.
    Yep... could have been a Canadian or a European. If you're that stupid, you shouldn't venture out of your own home...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    I'm pretty frugal, so my thought is - the baby is fine from the radiation, but did a radiologist read the x ray for the child? I mean, as long as the scan happened, they should at least look for fractures, cancer - something.

    PS
    I didn't read the comment as racist, but stupidist. I am a definite stupidist and will point out my discrimination against the stupid at any time.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,812
    Ummm....the x-ray machines at airports don't have film and don't produce "prints". It is just an image on a screen.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysShocked
    Ummm....the x-ray machines at airports don't have film and don't produce "prints". It is just an image on a screen.
    With the updated security, I'd assume they'd save the images to disk to review later - for example if the plane blew up - they'd want to relook at those scans. You don't need actual film anymore. I worked at an MRI facility a few years ago, and we just uploaded the images - no film either.

    But, I was being facicious.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 02-01-2017, 03:23 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 10:36 PM
  3. Time Machine
    By SuperDave in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 11:10 AM