Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low

nanandjim

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up if they have Windows XP and receive this message.

My computer was starting to run very, very slow; and then I got this warning yesterday (Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low). I researched the problem and came up with all sorts of recommendations before I seemed to recall that the problem may have something to do with cable internet.

I believe that, because the cable internet is on 24/7 and is constantly relaying data to the computer that the virtual memory eventually gets overloaded.

I turned off my cable modem and my computer overnight. In the morning, my computer was working like speed lightening.

So, if you have cable internet and ever get this message along with slowing computer response, you may want to shut down your computer and modem overnight as your first attempt to clear up this problem. :)

nanandjim said:
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up if they have Windows XP and receive this message.

My computer was starting to run very, very slow; and then I got this warning yesterday (Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low). I researched the problem and came up with all sorts of recommendations before I seemed to recall that the problem may have something to do with cable internet.

I believe that, because the cable internet is on 24/7 and is constantly relaying data to the computer that the virtual memory eventually gets overloaded.

I turned off my cable modem and my computer overnight. In the morning, my computer was working like speed lightening.

So, if you have cable internet and ever get this message along with slowing computer response, you may want to shut down your computer and modem overnight as your first attempt to clear up this problem. :)
Thanks for posting this, I just saw that message a few hours ago and had trouble starting the laptop. The screen was black and I could not do anything. I disconnected the cable and removed the computor battery. After a few minutes, I put the battery back in, reconnected the cable and everything was fine.
If I shut the cable box off daily, will I connect without trouble after doing this everyday? I know that with the DTV box I had for the TV, I would have to call DTV to reset the box...it was a big pain.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:
Thanks for posting this, I just saw that message a few hours ago and had trouble starting the laptop. The screen was black and I could not do anything. I disconnected the cable and removed the computor battery. After a few minutes, I put the battery back in, reconnected the cable and everything was fine.
If I shut the cable box off daily, will I connect without trouble after doing this everyday? I know that with the DTV box I had for the TV, I would have to call DTV to reset the box...it was a big pain.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows
DS - I was going to send you a PM, but it looks like you have your "Private Messages" turned off. So, I hope that you will see this post.

I turn off both my computer and cable box almost every night now. I first shut down my computer. Then, I turn off the power to my cable modem.

In the morning, turn the power back on to my cable modem. Once all of the buttons are lit, I then turn on my computer. This takes less than one minute each day.

I turn off the modem to drain it at night.

It really seems to be helping the response time of my computer since I have been doing this.

I also run Adaware periodically to clean the spyware off of my computer. Adaware can be downloaded for free.

Virtual memory is also known as a swap file. Which means your operation system uses it like memory, except it's not. That error is most likely from a buggy program leaking memory.

When you have many things open or running or starting on boot up the memory thinks it's being used and you can get that error. The only sure fire way to fix it is to keep your downloads low, clean off excess programs you don't use, do a clean up, including emptying cache, temp internet logs, spy ware and ad ware. Then defrag.

Memory becomes defragmented and goes back to any empty spot...that's why if you use a progam often it seems to slow down...it has to go search out every piece of that program before it can start. Defraging puts all the pieces in a row and it can then quickly grab the pieces instead of hunting for it.

Programs that leak memory can be fixed, but I'd have to know which one was causing the problem first. The number one offender of using too much memory....putting too many things on the hard drive and not cleaning up often enough.

If you need help with finding out what program is using too much memory, let me know and I can try to help you solve that part at least.

nanandjim said:
DS - I was going to send you a PM, but it looks like you have your "Private Messages" turned off. So, I hope that you will see this post.

I turn off both my computer and cable box almost every night now. I first shut down my computer. Then, I turn off the power to my cable modem.

In the morning, turn the power back on to my cable modem. Once all of the buttons are lit, I then turn on my computer. This takes less than one minute each day.

It really seems to be helping the response time of my computer since I have been doing this.

I also run Adaware periodically to clean the spyware off of my computer. Adaware can be downloaded for free.
Thanks for the help Nanandjim,:) I turned off my PM option to clean out my messages and forgot to turn it back on! Thank-you.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

nanandjim said:

Thankyou, I am going to try this tonight.We seem to be getting slowr and slower on this puter. Great tip!

BhamMama said:
...The only sure fire way to fix it is to keep your downloads low, clean off excess programs you don't use, do a clean up, including emptying cache, temp internet logs, spy ware and ad ware. Then defrag...
Hey BM - Thanks for the note. In my case, my computer is relatively new with lots of disk space, with a very low percentage actually used. If my solution hadn't worked, I would have moved on to deleting temp files, cleaning up disk space and defragmenting to consolidate my available memory. Fortunately, I haven't needed to perform these time consuming functions. Others may need to, though.

To find some of these functions, you click "Start," "All Programs," "Accessories," "System Tools," "Disk Cleanup" or "Disk Defragmenter."

Nanandjim,

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

I have been having problems with my pc for over a week now. I did all of the things that I usually do to fix it but nothing worked. I even broke down and bought some "Fix It" program, still didn't work. It seemed like everything was hanging up, taking forever to load etc. I wish that I had read this thread last week, it would have saved me a huge headache. I unpluged my cable modem and left it off for about 5 mins pluged it back in and everything is fixed! Running fast again. Thank you so much! I had no idea that the modem needed to be turned off to drain. I never turn off my pc but after this, I think that I'll start.

I too have received the virtual memory is low, I turn of my computer every night and I do a clean up, system restore and defrag frequently, I have an external modem and am on Broadband, if I turn of my computer how do I turn of my modem.
Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

:eek: Good gracious! I shut down my computer every night, and whenever it isn't in use. I also unplug it, and any large appliance when going out of town for more than an afternoon/evening. I unplug the computer, television, and older window air conditioning unit during a lightning storm as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back