James Brown has passed away

Melly

Reaction score
Wow. I just read earlier tonight about him being sick, but as of 1:45am he died.
eek.gif

ATLANTA — James Brown, the dynamic, pompadoured "Godfather of Soul," whose rasping vocals and revolutionary rhythms made him a founder of rap, funk and disco as well, died early Monday, his agent said. He was 73.

Brown was hospitalized with pneumonia at Emory Crawford Long Hospital on Sunday and died around 1:45 a.m. Monday, said his agent, Frank Copsidas of Intrigue Music. Longtime friend Charles Bobbit was by his side, he said.

Copsidas said Brown's family was being notified of his death and that the cause was still uncertain. "We really don't know at this point what he died of," he said.

Along with Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and a handful of others, Brown was one of the major musical influences of the past 50 years. At least one generation idolized him, and sometimes openly copied him. His rapid-footed dancing inspired Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson among others. Songs such as David Bowie's "Fame," Prince's "Kiss," George Clinton's "Atomic Dog" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Sing a Simple Song" were clearly based on Brown's rhythms and vocal style.

If Brown's claim to the invention of soul can be challenged by fans of Ray Charles and Sam Cooke, then his rights to the genres of rap, disco and funk are beyond question. He was to rhythm and dance music what Dylan was to lyrics: the unchallenged popular innovator.

(more at link)
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Dec...Brown,00.html#

I just heard it on the top of the hour national news. All I know is he was very ill with pnumonia. He was 73.

He had his ups and downs in his personal life. but no doubt about it, he was one of the best singers-enterainers ever.

I can't believe he's gone.

Sad Christmas present for his family. :(

R.I.P. James.

Floh said:
Sad Christmas present for his family. :(

R.I.P. James.

You're right Floh, somehow it seems harder to lose someone this time of year.
Especially right on Christmas morning.

"The hardest working man in show business" finally caught up with him. But , damn, he had some great music.

Terrible time of year to die. His family will never think of Christmas the same again.

Thats so sad..........God rest his soul

So sorry to hear this--He was a great singer and his legacy will live long after him--R.I.P. James Brown-- World Without End Amen

wow, everything takes too long....lol

i had to find the "NO Caps"

lol

where is time taking me?.......where is time taking you?
...i don't mind being blind, if you don't........

hey, with a glass pretty handy :dance:

have a drink on me:)

good god, it took me forever to type that aboe?

make a noise :D

Ummmm....CE....

Exactly what are you imbibing this evening?:crazy:

I was saddened to read this. I love James Brown's music.

RIP James.

mfmangel1 said:
Ummmm....CE....

Exactly what are you imbibing this evening?:crazy:

imbibing?

hahah!...i'm imbibing all over the place :dance:

iiiiiii feel like a new borrrrrrn, kicking & screeeaming :dance:

James Brown, the legendary "Godfather of Soul" who died early Christmas morning, had been sick for months, according to a longtime friend.

Brown had had a cough for several months, but it worsened Friday in Augusta, Georgia, where he held his annual Christmas toy giveaway outdoors in rainy weather, said his friend and personal manager, Charles Bobbit. Other associates said Brown had also found a cold hard to shake, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Brown died at 1:45 a.m. Monday at Atlanta's Emory Crawford Long Hospital. The cause of death was congestive heart failure related to pneumonia, according to Brown's professional manager, Frank Copsidas. He was 73.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/26/james.brown.dead/index.html

RIP James.

Obituary: James Brown (1933-2006) AP

JAMES Brown, the Godfather of Soul, whose rasping vocals and revolutionary rhythms led to rap, funk and disco, has died aged 73.

He was taken to hospital in Atlanta with acute pneumonia but the cause of death has not been established, his agent, Frank Copsidas, said.
Along with Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and a handful of others, Brown was one of the major musical influences of the past 50 years. At least one generation idolised him and sometimes openly copied him.

His rapid-footed dancing inspired Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson, among others.

Songs such as David Bowie's Fame, Prince's Kiss, George Clinton's Atomic Dog and Sly and the Family Stone's Sing a Simple Song were clearly based on Brown's rhythms and vocal style.

If Brown's claim to the invention of soul can be challenged by fans of Ray Charles and Sam Cooke, then his rights to the genres of rap, disco and funk are beyond question. He was to rhythm and dance music what Dylan was to lyrics: the unchallenged popular innovator.

"James presented obviously the best grooves," rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy once said. "To this day, there has been no one near as funky. No one's coming even close."

His hit singles include such classics as Out of Sight, (Get Up I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine, I Got You (I Feel Good) and Say It Out Loud -- I'm Black and I'm Proud, a landmark 1968 statement of racial pride.

"I clearly remember we were calling ourselves coloured, and after the song, we were calling ourselves black," Brown said in 2003. "The song showed even people to that day that lyrics and music and a song can change society."

He won a Grammy award for lifetime achievement in 1992, as well as Grammys in 1965 for Papa's Got a Brand New Bag (best R&B recording) and for Living In America in 1987 (best R&B vocal performance, male). He was one of the first artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, with Presley, Chuck Berry and other founding fathers.

He triumphed despite an often unhappy personal life. He was born into poverty, abandoned to live with relatives in Augusta, and was educated in a reform school.

His big break came in January 1956 when King Records of Cincinnati signed his group, the Famous Flames, and four months later Please, Please, Please was in the R&B Top 10.

Only Elvis had more hits than Brown.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back