• verbal response

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • body language

Votes: 63 91.3%

• Total voters

icedtea4me

Former Member
Reaction score
You ask your child, "Did you eat any of the cookies?" Your child responds, "No" and looks down and away from you.

Which one is the better indicator of what the truth is- the verbal response or the body language of your child not wanting to look you in the eye?

-Tea

Id say body language means more. Ive always gone by the saying actions speak louder than words. and it is so true.

cynpat2000 said:
Id say body language means more. Ive always gone by the saying actions speak louder than words. and it is so true.
Amen.I have a mentally ill relative and I know you have to forget what they say..look at what they do..that's where the truth really is.Even if someone isn't mental,I think that still seems to be true,look at what they do.

That's a difficult question to answer because there are so many variables involved. It totally depends on the person, the age of the person, and you would have to have a gauge of past verbal answers and body language.

People can learn to lie very smoothly but IMO it's more difficult to manipulate your body language (not saying it can't be done)

VB

julianne said:
That's a difficult question to answer because there are so many variables involved. It totally depends on the person, the age of the person, and you would have to have a gauge of past verbal answers and body language.
Right now what does your gut instinct tell you?

-Tea

A good sales person can stand right in front of you lying thru their teeth and have the correct body language to support their lies. :rolleyes:

Neither for me.

An honest, good person can be nervous enough that their body language looks like a lie, what is said can include enough truth to make it seem absolutely true. Actions speak loudest. Outside of that, I look for consistiency in what is said. Body language means something, but I don't trust it - too easy to be fooled both ways with that - to think an honest person is dishonest, to think a liar honest.

icedtea4me said:
You ask your child, "Did you eat any of the cookies?" Your child responds, "No" and looks down and away from you.

Which one is the better indicator of what the truth is- the verbal response or the body language of your child not wanting to look you in the eye?

-Tea
For an example - "No" and looking down and away - could be a child feeling betrayed that you don't trust them. Or that they saw their friend do it, and feel they have to keep the secret. Or simply that the cat walked past their legs, and distracted them.

Details said:
For an example - "No" and looking down and away - could be a child feeling betrayed that you don't trust them. Or that they saw their friend do it, and feel they have to keep the secret. Or simply that the cat walked past their legs, and distracted them.
Well, John Ramsey did just that when he and Patsy were asked by Paula Woodard in the May 1, 1997 CNN interview if there was any inappropriate behavior going on in the home. There was no cat that walked between his legs.

-Tea

I voted for body language. When my husband lies to me, he always...ALWAYS...rubs his right leg, with the palm of his right hand, AND averts his eyes. His mom said that when he was little, thats how she knew that he was lying, even way back then.

Ames said:
I voted for body language. When my husband lies to me, he always...ALWAYS...rubs his right leg, with the palm of his right hand, AND averts his eyes. His mom said that when he was little, thats how she knew that he was lying, even way back then.
Yes,I know someone who yawns every time a lie is told.It's hard to hide.

This isn't a personal attack but isn't North Carolina the state that kept re-electing Jesse Helms..an avowed racist..to the Senate ? The same state where neo-nazis fought protesters in Greensboro ..I think that was back in the 80's.Must show how old I am.Not a very hospitable state.
I would say..as I have elsewhere in this forum..that making assumptions on what you think someone should do isn't always accurate. Didn't Joe Friday always say.."Just the facts mam..just the facts"....

ANGRYWOLF said:
This isn't a personal attack but isn't North Carolina the state that kept re-electing Jesse Helms..an avowed racist..to the Senate ? The same state where neo-nazis fought protesters in Greensboro ..I think that was back in the 80's.Must show how old I am.Not a very hospitable state.
I would say..as I have elsewhere in this forum..that making assumptions on what you think someone should do isn't always accurate. Didn't Joe Friday always say.."Just the facts mam..just the facts"....
Cheap shot Ang.There are lots of fine ppl here.
I didn't say I thought anyone should do anything..just that there are certainly things that set of the alarms of suspicious behavior.And we have a right to comment on those.

ANGRYWOLF said:
Can't forget about West Virginia with its Robert KKK Byrd.

-Tea

The same state where neo-nazis fought protesters in Greensboro ..I think that was back in the 80's.Must show how old I am.Not a very hospitable state.

Not just any protesters. Communists. Pretty hard to root for anyone in that fight. Kinda like Rosie and Trump. I'd be happy to be rid of both of 'em!

I agree...actions speak louder than words..evertime my hubby tries to lie to me, (white lies, that is!!), he looks away from me and attempts to suppress his smile...he can never get away with it!!!

In the Haleigh Cummings case, there is a voice analysis of Misty's responses. Is there a similar analysis for the JBR case? It seems that her parents did not speak publically more than necessary about the case.

In the Haleigh Cummings case, there is a voice analysis of Misty's responses. Is there a similar analysis for the JBR case? It seems that her parents did not speak publically more than necessary about the case.

I don't think there was a voice analysis. It was almost 14 years ago. Things are done now that weren't done then. There's a good reason why her parents didn't speak publicly more. Every time they did, there was a risk of telling a different version of the story- a classic indication of guilt. Of course, they used their "public appearances" to bemoan their treatment by the BPD (poor US, NOT poor dead daughter) and not to offer their help in finding the "real" killer. Note- OJ never really offered to help police find the "real" killer either. Because the real killer was him.
Whenever anyone stonewalls police investigating the murder of a loved one it is usually because they already know who did it. And it is usually the one doing the stalling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back