MI MI - Ida Richardson-Anderson, 21, Detroit, 18 Sept 1958

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/753dfmi.html

Ida Dean Richardson-Anderson
Missing since September 18, 1958 from Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: March 22, 1937
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 110 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
  • Other: Ida's maiden name is "Richardson."

Circumstances of Disappearance
Ida resided with her family in Florida in the mid-1950s. She became pregnant in 1955 at age 18 and married her baby's father, Kenneth, shortly thereafter. Kenneth was employed part-time as a musician. They settled in the Detroit, Michigan area and had two additional children by 1958.

The marriage was troubled and Ida often wrote about financial difficulties in letters to her relatives in Florida. Ida took her three children and left Kenneth in February 1958. She was hospitalized due to rheumatic fever and ulcers shortly afterwards. Kenneth placed the children in a boarding home while Ida was ill. The state of Michigan took custody of their children as a result of his actions and Ida and Kenneth spent the next six months attempting to regain their parental rights.

Ida was scheduled to receive custody of her children in mid-September 1958, but no one is certain if she was aware of that fact. She vanished on September 18 and has never been heard from again.
Ida's children were adopted by other families due to her disappearance. Her oldest son and daughter were adopted by the same family and their names were changed.

Arrangements had been made for Ida and the children to fly to Jacksonville, Florida after she was awarded custody in 1958. Airplane tickets had been purchased, but they were never used.

Ida's three children were reunited in 1995 and began searching for her with the assistance of other relatives. Ida has not been located as an unidentified deceased victim and a search of hospital records has proven that she was not admitted to any facilities in Michigan and surrounding states after her 1958 disappearance under her name. Her family is concerned that she may have been institutionalized or that she is homeless and does not know her identity.

I wonder where the husband is now??

Missing for 49 Years...

---------------------------------------

Ida Dean Richardson-Anderson
Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan
Missing since September 18, 1958
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date of Birth: March 22, 1937
Age at time of disappearance: 21-years-old
Approximate Height: 5'2
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Approximate Weight: 110
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Ida's maiden name is Richardson.

Circumstances

Ida resided with her family in Florida in the mid-1950s. She became pregnant in 1955 at age 18 and married her baby's father, Kenneth Gerald Anderson (nicknamed "Jerry") shortly thereafter. Kenneth was employed part-time as a musician. They settled in the Detroit, Michigan area and had two additional children by 1958.

The marriage was troubled and Ida often wrote about financial difficulties in letters to her relatives in Florida. Ida took her three children and left Kenneth in February 1958. She was hospitalized due to rheumatic fever and ulcers shortly afterwards. Kenneth placed the children in a boarding home while Ida was ill. The state of Michigan took custody of their children as a result of his actions and Ida and Kenneth spent the next six months attempting to regain their parental rights.

Ida was scheduled to receive custody of her children in mid-September 1958, but no one is certain if she was aware of that fact. She vanished on September 18 and has never been heard from again. Ida's children were adopted by other families due to her disappearance. Her oldest son and daughter were adopted by the same family and their names were changed to Dan Borgers and Beverly Borgers. The two siblings were raised in Fraser, Michigan. Ida's youngest daughter was adopted by a family residing in Michigan's Upper Pennisula and was renamed Deborah Lindeman.

Arrangements had been made for Ida and the children to fly to Jacksonville, Florida after she was awarded custody in 1958. Airplane tickets had been purchased, but they were never used.

Ida's three children were reunited in 1995 and began searching for her with the assistance of other relatives. Ida has not been located as an unidentified deceased victim and a search of hospital records has proven that she was not admitted to any facilities in Michigan and surrounding states after her 1958 disappearance under her name. Her family is concerned that she may have been institutionalized or that she is homeless and does not know her identity. Ida's case remains unsolved.

Source:
Dan Borgers
Ida Richardson-Anderson's son
615-500-6420
Michigan Does - Ida Dean Richardson-Anderson

LINK:

http://www.michigandoes.com/MP/IdaAnderson.html

I wonder if Kenneth knew she was getting their children back and also why would her family think she could be in an institution or forget who she was? I can't imagine that she was mentally ill because they wouldn't have allowed her to have her children back. IMO

I wonder if Kenneth knew she was getting their children back and also why would her family think she could be in an institution or forget who she was? I can't imagine that she was mentally ill because they wouldn't have allowed her to have her children back. IMO

As she had been hospitalized with rheumatic fever which can affect the brain, it is very well a possibility that she could have been slightly mentally affected by it at the time, but it wasn't mentioned in court papers so as to not hamper her ability to get back her children. (Or it could be that they're including it as a possibility solely to explain her disappearance since it *is* a possible result/complication of the fever)

I think its curious to see that her husband isn't mentioned - it says they were *both* trying to get back their parental rights...I wonder if he had something to do with her disappearance?

As she had been hospitalized with rheumatic fever which can affect the brain, it is very well a possibility that she could have been slightly mentally affected by it at the time, but it wasn't mentioned in court papers so as to not hamper her ability to get back her children. (Or it could be that they're including it as a possibility solely to explain her disappearance since it *is* a possible result/complication of the fever)

I think its curious to see that her husband isn't mentioned - it says they were *both* trying to get back their parental rights...I wonder if he had something to do with her disappearance?

I looked this up on line and this is the information I got..... Rheumatic fever primarily affects children between ages 6 and 15 years and occurs approximately 20 days after strep throat or scarlet fever. Rheumatic fever is common worldwide and is responsible for many cases of damaged heart valves. In the Western countries, it became fairly rare since the 1960s, probably due to widespread use of antibiotics to treat streptococcus infections. It also said that it very rarely caused brain damage however they may have not known this back then. She might have had strep throat. I wonder if she was slow or had something else wrong with her for the family to think she might not know who she is/was. Has anyone ever checked with social security to find out if she ever applied for a card at some point over the years? The poor thing may have just given up and walked away. :(

I wonder about this idea of her being institutionalized and not knowing who she was...I've heard before of families raising up the idea that their missing loved one is wandering out in the world with amnesia, and fixating on that idea. Sometimes it's easier to hold onto that than to realize that she might *not* be walking around this world anymore. Alternately, could Kenneth had spread around a story, to turn focus away from him? She had left him, and although it says that they both fought to get custody back I wonder if it was really just her. He may have forseen child support payments and alimony...if money was already a problem, how would this make things any easier? Did anyone take a good hard look at him?

I wonder about this idea of her being institutionalized and not knowing who she was...I've heard before of families raising up the idea that their missing loved one is wandering out in the world with amnesia, and fixating on that idea. Sometimes it's easier to hold onto that than to realize that she might *not* be walking around this world anymore. Alternately, could Kenneth had spread around a story, to turn focus away from him? She had left him, and although it says that they both fought to get custody back I wonder if it was really just her. He may have forseen child support payments and alimony...if money was already a problem, how would this make things any easier? Did anyone take a good hard look at him?

There are important pieces of info missing, but Jerry Anderson killing his estranged wife to avoid alimony sounds unlikely, in those days deadbeat ex's were even less bothered by the courts than they are now, if they wanted to avoid paying all they had to do was... to not pay and that was it. But Anderson was seeking custody of his kids so I doubt alimony was bothering him. But unfortunately there just isn't enough info on Jerry to make any guesses.

Here is the text of a couple of the letters:

Ida had an upcoming court date regarding custody of her children.

Letter #1 (written in August 1958) reads:

Dear Mama,
I am very sorry I forgot to mail your letter sooner. But, have been very busy looking for a job. So far I have had no luck.
I found out from a friend of mine in Chicago where Jerry (her estranged husband) is living and I thought I would write him for some money and just pray he will send it to me.
The Court still won't let me see the kids.
I have to go to Court the 4th of September at 4 o'clock.
I sure wish I knew for sure they were going to let me have the kids back. I have a funny feeling about it. I don't think they are.
They will have a hell of a fight on their hands if they try to take them away from me. And God help them if they do.
How are you feeling? Fine I hope.
How are Belle and her new baby ?
Is Frank still working? How is Joe and his wife getting along? I am very anxious to meet her.
I can't wait to bring the kids home and believe me once I get there nothing is ever going to make me leave again.
I am bringing a friend down who is going to watch thekids for me whil i go to work.
We are hoping to get jobs so that one of us will be with the kids all the time. She knows Jerry and hates him almost as much as I do, if that's possible.
Well, mama I guess I had better close for today so that I will have something to say (in my next letter)

Letter #4

Ida was in the hospital with pneumonia when she wrote this letter, her last.

When she writes, "did you get to court? What did they say?", Ida is referring to another order by the probate judge that her mother agree to the plan for Ida to bring us three kids down to Jacksonville Beach to live with Ida's mom, our grandma. Grandma agreed to help.

The letter reads:

Dear Mama,
Sorry I didn't write as promised but as Belle maybe had told you I am in the hospital again.
I had pneumonia plus my ulcer was acting up again.
This may be very short as I am under heavy sedation.
Did you get to court? What did they say.

Love,
Ida

Ida was hospitalized in Ann Arbor, Michigan shortly before Jerry Anderson abandoned their children in March 1958. The children were taken into state custody and put into foster care. When Ida was released from the hospital, she tried to regain custody. Ida vanished the day she was due to appear in Probate Court. Prior arrangements had been made for Ida and her children to fly to Jacksonville Beach, Florida. Tickets were purchased, but never used. Ida has not been seen since.

After a 20 years search by Ida's son, Dan, her children were reunited in 1995 with each other and all birth family members...except for Ida.

Over the years hundreds of letters have been written, thousands of miles traveled, databases checked, private investigators hired, and all efforts have failed. Belle, Ida's sister, made countless long distance calls from Florida to Michigan at the time of her disappearance. Belle wrote letters to all the authorities in a five state area. Ida was never identified as a deceased Jane Doe, nor was she found to be in any hospital. She may have been institutionalized. Perhaps she is homeless and doesn't know who she is today.

Our last hope is that someone will recognize Ida's picture and possibly remember her. Perhaps someone has knowledge regarding the circumstances surrounding her disappearance or her present whereabouts. We are also looking for Ida's friend, Carol Moser. She may have information regarding this case.

Please contact us if you have any recollection of Ida or could offer some much needed media attention. Time is running out for us. Thank you for visiting our site.

Dan Borgers (Ida's son ), Beverly Borgers and Deborah Lindeman (Ida's daughters), Belle, Frank, and Joe Richardson (Ida's sister and brothers), and Audrey Schultz (widow of Ida's oldest brother, George)

**This and the above texts from letters are from the now defunct website http://geocities.com/whereisida It is accessible now only through the internet archives:
http://web.archive.org/web/20031016082905/www.geocities.com/whereisida/

**The sentences about Ida's friend was bolded by me as it is not mentioned in other descriptions of her case.

Perhaps someone has knowledge regarding the circumstances surrounding her disappearance or her present whereabouts. We are also looking for Ida's friend, Carol Moser. She may have information regarding this case.
http://

Any idea how old Carol would be, was Moser her maiden name and did she live in Michigan?

I had an aunt who when she was a child suffered from rheumatic fever and left her with heart problems and no brain damage.

Where was Ida staying when she vanished? This doesn't seem right that she would take off on the day she is to find out if she can have custody of her children.

Also, I wonder why the web page was taken down? (The first time I tried to follow a link to the page, I got a "page not found" and I had to use the wayback machine to view it. This was probably about a year ago)

btw I did submit this PM last year but never got a reply

http://doenetwork.org/cases/132ufde.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 132UFDE

Reconstructions of Victim

Unidentified White Female

Located on June 27, 1977 in Townsend, New Castle County, Delaware.
Estimated date of Death: January 1, 1977

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 35 - 50 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"-5'6" ; 90-110 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: Thin build. She had given birth to at least two children during her lifetime. Scar on right buttock. Osteoarthrisis sternum and thorasic vertebrae.
Dentals: Charts and x-rays available; Teeth- amalgum fillings #3, 5, 7, 11, 12, 14, 15 in upper jaw, 21, 28, 30, in lower jaw. Evidence of heavy accumulation of tar, old extraction in lower jaw, removable appliance in upper jaw, and gum disease.
Clothing: None located
DNA: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
On June 27, 1977, County Police detectives responded to a rural area outside of Townsend, Delaware after skeletal remains were found in an open field. The unidentified woman was a homicide victim.
It was discovered that Serial-killer Henry Lee Lucas lived in Elkton, Maryland, which is very close to the area where the remains were found. Investigators also found that writings Lucas made while he was serving time in a Texas prison have many similarities to the crime scene and information that was developed.
It was also discovered that Henry Lucas claimed to have brought a female from Michigan to Delaware and left her body here. In 1983, Lucas confessed to killing 6 women in Delaware, but he later recanted.
No local leads were ever developed making investigators believe that the victim may in fact be from the Michigan area.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
New Castle County Police
Major Jim Hedrick
302-395-8015
You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Numbers:
32-77-40780 & DE0020300

NCIC Number:
Not Entered
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
New Castle County Police

How did you submit the pm? email or phone?

also does Ida's family have sample dna from them in the database to compare? if so was it in there at the time of the pm submission or after?

How did you submit the pm? email or phone?

also does Ida's family have sample dna from them in the database to compare? if so was it in there at the time of the pm submission or after?

I submitted by email but I had to submit to the LE associated with the Doe, as I couldn't find any info on LE for the MP. I think I saw something on the MP listing for DNA and it said "not entered" or something. I'm not sure the MP case has ever been filed with LE. Even Charley Project lists the "Investigative Agency" as Ida's son. So this may have easily fallen through the cracks.

I'm not sure the MP case has ever been filed with LE. Even Charley Project lists the "Investigative Agency" as Ida's son. So this may have easily fallen through the cracks.

Dan may need to file a mp report and make sure this information is in the dna database.

Dan may need to file a mp report and make sure this information is in the dna database.

I agree 100%. I thought about emailing him to suggest that but I figured I'd be beating a dead horse, I'm sure he has been told/asked about that a thousand times. I'm pretty sure Charley Project brought that to his attention as it is rare to see a listing on Charley Project with no LE info. It is also possible that it was filed but just isn't listed on any LE websites.

I really hope for a resolution on this though, Ida would be 72 now.

That is really strange if he wouldn't make an official police report. Does he feel it useless since there was nothing a PI could do to find her? Did you tell him of the PM you found? Is he under the impression that she just walked away and he was hoping to find her thru the efforts of his webpage and the doenetwork or charley project? It is possible that he doesn't want to think of the worst case scenerio.

Has he ever located their father?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back