President Gerald Ford passes away

cheko1

Reaction score
Going to go find a link.........ABC just announced it

Former President Gerald Ford Dies

images_image_347144508
CBS News Interactive: About Gerald Ford

(AP) LOS ANGELES Gerald R. Ford, who picked up the pieces of Richard Nixon's scandal-shattered White House as the 38th and only unelected president in America's history, has died, his wife, Betty, said Tuesday. He was 93.

Details on his death Tuesday were not immediately available.

Ford had battled pneumonia in January 2006 and underwent two heart treatments -- including an angioplasty -- in August at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

I always thought he was a good and decent man. Rest in peace, Mr. President.

Maral said:
I always thought he was a good and decent man. Rest in peace, Mr. President.
Agreed Maral.

ETA:My sister's dh served as his general counsel in the White House. My BIL is particularly saddened by this news.

While I am a Democrat - I too always liked President and Mrs. Ford. They seemed to have a good understanding of what "we the People" were all about. They didn't hide their faults such as Mrs. Ford's addiction and because of her the Betty Ford Center has become world renowned.

RIP Mr. President.

RIP Mr. President and God Bless Mrs. Ford.

U. of Michigan has lost 2 of it's finest this year. :(

How sad :( He's the first president that I can really remember...

Rest in peace, President Ford. Thank you for your service to our country.

Thank you to the entire Ford family for their transparency regarding Betty's alcoholism. Their willingness to share their experiences has helped untold numbers of alcoholics and their friends and loved ones.

cheko1 said:
Former President Gerald Ford Dies
Gerald R. Ford, who picked up the pieces of Richard Nixon's scandal-shattered White House as the 38th and only unelected president in America's history, has died, his wife, Betty, said Tuesday. He was 93.

Details on his death Tuesday were not immediately available.

Ford had battled pneumonia in January 2006 and underwent two heart treatments -- including an angioplasty -- in August at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
Why are they calling him the only unelected president in history? What about the successors of assassinated presidents like Andrew Johnson and Lyndon Johnson?

Beyond Belief said:
He was one of the "good guys". RIP

Yes, what BB said...Seems to have been an honorable gentleman. Where are all the candidates like that today??? President Ford - rest in peace.

Sally said:
Why are they calling him the only unelected president in history? What about the successors of assassinated presidents like Andrew Johnson and Lyndon Johnson?
The way I see it, they were elected vice-president where Gerald Ford was never elected as vice-president. The vice-president is chosen with the understanding that if something happened to the president then whoever is elected vice-president will succeed.

VB

Sally said:
According to CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/27/ford.obit/index.html

<SNIP>
"At 93, Ford was the nation's oldest surviving former president and the only president and vice president never to be elected to office."

Following the link, Agnew, the original VP of Nixon resigned after a scandal and Ford was the Republican Leader of the House, so he was put in the VP slot.

Thanks Magic Rose and Vegas Bride. That makes sense.

He led a long and worthwhile life. My thoughts are with the Ford family.

He was a good and decent man. A shame we can't say that about many of today's leaders (both parties).

I always felt sorry for President Ford because the media was really nasty and emphasized the couple of times that he stumbled (as if they are always perfect!). In reality he was one of our most physically fit and athletic presidents.

Rest in Peace, Mr. President, and may his loved ones be comforted.

My thoughts and prayers for the Ford family to get through this difficult time, but they were very blessed that the former President had a long life with them. May he now rest in peace in Heaven....
:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back