1237 users online (269 members and 968 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NC - Holly & Tyler Needham: twins, 17 months, Durham, 22 Dec 2006

Police were searching Tuesday for 17-month-old twins they think were taken from their adoptive parents by their biological mother.

Denise Needham, who has custody of the twins with her husband, Kevin, pleaded for their return Tuesday evening. "We're scared to death," she said. "I just want them home safely."

The babies' birth mother, Allison Lee Quets, 49, of 1718 Trailview Lane, had visitation rights to pick up the twins every third weekend and keep them from 6 p.m. Friday to 6 p.m. Sunday. Quets picked them up Friday at the Needhams' Apex home and was scheduled to return Holly and Tyler on Christmas Eve.

About 15 minutes after 6 p.m., there was no sign of Quets, and Denise Needham contacted police.

Quets might be driving a 1998 white Plymouth Voyager with North Carolina tags LRJ-6644 or Florida tags E377HZ, said Durham Police spokeswoman Kammie Michael. Quets could be heading toward Florida, where she previously lived, or Louisville, Ky., where her sister, Gail Quets, and mother live, Michael said.

Investigators were completing a search warrant Tuesday evening to gain access to Quets' phone records, said Durham Police Detective T. Tuck.

The Needhams were scheduled to talk with FBI agents late Tuesday evening, Tuck said.

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/525742.html

cases like this make me feel so bad.

FBI Searching For Missing Twins

The FBI has stepped in to help find missing North Carolina twins. Durham police say the 17-month-olds were taken by their biological mother this past weekend from the children’s adopted parents.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/conte...sp?ArID=132183

Quote Originally Posted by Rle7
    The FBI has stepped in to help find missing North Carolina twins. Durham police say the 17-month-olds were taken by their biological mother this past weekend from the children’s adopted parents.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/conte...sp?ArID=132183
    yeah, this has been all over the news this morning...was looking around in "up to the minute", then just now realized the story would be 'here'......

they're looking for a white van, i believe...

Any new news this morning? This is scary, we are in the process of a domestic adoption!!

Quote Originally Posted by StampnWendy
    Any new news this morning? This is scary, we are in the process of a domestic adoption!!
    It is. I feel for adoptive parents in this day and age.

I'm wondering at the age of 49 what would cause you to give up your twins for adoption. Are maybe drugs involved? I am so scared for these babies!

from http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...s-missing.html

Canadian police have joined the search for the biological mother of adopted twin toddlers who disappeared from North Carolina after a holiday visit and may be in Canada, the FBI said.
    Allison Quets, the biological mother of the twins, took them from their adoptive home for a brief visit before Christmas but never brought them back, authorities say.
    (Courtesy of www.missingkids.com)

Allison Lee Quets, 49, had visitation rights as a part of a custody agreement, authorities said.

The custody order allowed her to take the children from their adoptive home for a brief visit Dec. 22-24, but authorities say she never returned them.

An investigation indicated Quets had crossed the Canadian border with the 17-month-old twins on Dec. 23, the FBI said in a written statement Thursday.

Quets now faces federal charges of international parental kidnapping. A warrant was issued Wednesday, according to the statement.

The trio may be travelling in a white 1998 Plymouth Voyager with North Carolina licence plates LRJ6644, according to a notice posted on the website of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

The children, Tyler and Holly Needham, lived in the Raleigh suburb of Apex with their adoptive parents, Denise and Kevin Needham, while Quets had a home in Durham, N.C.

Holly and Tyler Needham, 17-month-old twins, may have been taken by Quets into Canada on Dec. 23, the FBI says.
    (Courtesy of www.missingkids.com)

According to Quets' sister, Quets never wanted to give up the children but had a rough pregnancy and was worried that she would be too weak to care for them.

Through a friend, she met the Needhams, Gail Quets told WRAL-TV.

"They pressured her into giving up custody of her children," she said. "She realized less than 12 hours later that it was a horrible decision and she begged to have her children returned to her, and these folks refused.

"I know she loves her children very much and would never endanger them," Gail Quets said.

The RCMP and Child Find Canada have joined the U.S. National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Durham, N.C., police in the search, the FBI said.

The latest news is that the birth mother has taken the twins to Canada:

Woman flees to Canada with twin toddlers

Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. — The FBI and Canadian officials joined the search for the biological mother of adopted twin toddlers who disappeared from North Carolina after a holiday visit and may be in Canada, the FBI said.

The biological mother, Allison Lee Quets, 49, had visitation rights as a part of a custody agreement, authorities said.

The custody order allowed her to take the children from their adoptive home for a brief visit Dec. 22-24, but authorities say she never returned them. An investigation indicated Ms. Quets had crossed the Canadian border with the twins on Dec. 23, the FBI said in a written statement Thursday.

more at link:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

Is it just me or is anyone else having a problem with this story about the mother changing her mind 12 hours after the delivery, and not being able to get the babies back? I don't know if this was a private adoption, but surely there was some sort of legal representation for this to go through. The mother should have been advised of her rights and the process to revoke consent. It isn't even that difficult:

http://www.childadoptionlaws.com/chi...h_carolina.htm

§ 48-3-608. Revocation of consent.

(a) A consent to the adoption of any infant who is in utero or any minor may be revoked within seven days following the day on which it is executed, inclusive of weekends and holidays

I hope they find these babies soon. The only comfort is that I hope she wouldn't harm them. Their poor parents must be beside themselves.

OK-- she had twins at *48*....??? WOW.

but yeah.. there's something very fishy about this story. first of all, she was concerned she was too weak to take care of them?? that's the only reason she didn't want to keep them? no other issues involved? is she sick, or just didn't think she could handle being a mother? OK.... so then she is PRESSURED (.....??!) into giving them up to a friend of a friend.. then changes her mind, begs for them back, but is refused??? i don't get it, is this a legal adoption or not? i hope she is not denied to right to keep her own children, if there are no other issues (as to why she shouldn't). or.. at least see them, because of this.
    she really should have gone to a lawyer though, to see what she could have done to get them back.. maybe she already tried that?

you're right, those are some beautiful kids!!!

I am a little confused by this too. NC law is she had 7 days to change her mind. They had to have at least used an attorney or an agency. Also, an article I read yesterday said she had some weird complications after IVF that made her constantly vomit and was weak and didn't think she could care for them. Don't know if it's something she would have had after giving birth, but I would assume so since that's why she placed them for adoption.

The thing that confuses me most is the visitation issue - why did she have visitation? Obviously, it's an open adoption, but visitation rights?

OT - we had a referral for twins that were born last week. The birthmom changed her mind before her parental rights were terminated (which is her right) and the termination is different state by state.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2threestooges
    I'm wondering at the age of 49 what would cause you to give up your twins for adoption. Are maybe drugs involved? I am so scared for these babies!
    I haven't read the links yet, but maybe her age was the reason---while 49 isn't "old"---it certainly is quite old to parent such young children.

Gonna go read the links now...

I heard an interview her sister gave just a bit ago. She said that the mother had a horrible pregnancy and actually weighed less after the birth than before. She was sick with twins and no family in the area and thought she had no other way out. They also said the prospective family didn't show up for one of the visitations and they believed that after she spent about $400,000 on attorneys' fees trying to get the kids back, she thought it was a lost cause and she got scared and fled with the kids. I guess I don't know what's true or not, but if there was even a few seconds left on her time to change her mind, which seems to be the case, she should get to keep those kids.

you know i really hope that LE takes a good, hard look at this whole situation. it sounds like the poor woman was not even in her right mind, for all we know she could have been zonked out on painkillers... but also, just being as sick as she was can make you not think straight. she probably was trying to do what was best for the kids as well as herself. maybe there was no stable man in her life and she felt her kids deserved better. but they better not try to paint her as some unstable psycho just because she flipped out and took her own kids back. if that's true she really spent $400K (??!) on a lawyer and got nowhere.. well, that can make one do some crazy things. it sounds like the lawyer may have been a scam artist,,, what the hell was he (assuming he's a he, just have a feeling, hhmmm...) doing charging THAT MUCH MONEY and he could not help this woman?? that is sick. this means she must be horribly in debt now, and was probably heartbrokenand desperate for a second chance (and her last chance to be a mother). maybe i'm imagining all this... but i am just really interested in hearing her side of the story. i hope the publicity leads to her finding a good, LEGIT lawyer who specializes in these cases who can really help her, and maybe she can at least get a fair chance.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast