1280 users online (218 members and 1062 guests)  

Websleuths News

IA - Woman Arrested for Injecting Substance Into Daughter's Feeding Tube, Dec 2006

link

OMAHA, Neb. A woman was arrested after police said she injected an unknown substance into her ill 19-month-old daughter's feeding tube.

Valera Shakhov, 28, of Carroll, Iowa, was charged with felony child abuseafter her arrest Friday. She declined to comment after a Wednesday court hearing.

Toxicology tests were being conducted to determine what the substance was. Shakhov told police the injection was formula, authorities said.

The girl, Rachel Pineda, was hospitalized frequently with unexplained illnesses.

Police have said Shakhov suffers from Munchausen syndrome by proxy, a disorder in which a person causes a family member's illness to care for the person or be a hero by saving them.

I didn't read in the link what the child's condition was. Hopefully the mother hasn't done permanant damage.

I hope that the baby is put with someone far far away from "mom"

I looked everywhere for this as I only heard a short blurb on the news and missed names and location etc. Figures WS had some info on the case!

Munchausen syndrome has interested me ever since I saw a news show about it many years ago. It showed videos of a mother laying over her child (baby? can't remember) suffocating it on the hospital bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom
    I looked everywhere for this as I only heard a short blurb on the news and missed names and location etc. Figures WS had some info on the case!

Munchausen syndrome has interested me ever since I saw a news show about it many years ago. It showed videos of a mother laying over her child (baby? can't remember) suffocating it on the hospital bed.
    Hey there Taximom,
    I watched that show on Dateline.
    Here is an article from 2005 about a daughter who endured this at the hands of her mother. The daughter wants to see her mother.

link

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

I remember that case.

I hope the "mother" got some psych help.....and the daughter too.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows
    Hey there Taximom,
    I watched that show on Dateline.
    Here is an article from 2005 about a daughter who endured this at the hands of her mother. The daughter wants to see her mother.

link

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows
    DS? The article says the girl is 18.... I wonder why she would need anyones permission to see her mother?
    I personally think its an awful idea. Maybe at 18 she has some serious unresolved issues that visiting with her worthless mother will resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    DS? The article says the girl is 18.... I wonder why she would need anyones permission to see her mother?
    I personally think its an awful idea. Maybe at 18 she has some serious unresolved issues that visiting with her worthless mother will resolve.
    It's probably the terms of some probation or something, that she not have contact with the victim of her crime.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!